FAQs – Building Services

Building Repairs/Maintenance Calls

How do I contact Facilities to report a maintenance emergency such as the following?

  • Leaking plumbing (pipes or fixtures)
  • No heating or cooling
  • Tripped breakers
  • Unsafe electrical situation (power outages)
  • Building security problem
  • Ceiling and Roof Leaks
  • Spills and floods
  • Elevator emergencies

During normal business hours, emergencies should be telephoned into the Facilities Office at extension 2629.  After regular business hours, emergencies should be telephoned into the Palomar College Campus Police by dialing extension 2289.

How do I make a routine maintenance request?

  • Heating and air conditioning—too hot or too cold
  • Painting requests
  • Interior/Exterior maintenance problems
  • Key problems
  • Unlocking restricted classrooms/offices
  • Repair ceiling tiles
  • Drinking fountains
  • Broken Glass
  • Pool repair
  • Clock correction/repair
  • Bat removal

Routine maintenance requests should be telephoned into the Facilities Office at extension 2629 or they can be emailed to us Facilities Office.

How do I request services such as?

  • Estimating projects
  • Installing new electrical service
  • Installing or removing walls, doors, etc.
  • Installing shelving, blinds
  • Replacing carpet
  • Painting projects
  • Installing whiteboards
  • Building cabinets
  • Servicing doors and hardware
  • Performing remodel work
  • Requesting the gas barbeque for special events (cost is $25.00)

Submit a work order by emailing FacilitiesRemedy@palomar.edu.

How do I obtain information about construction and renovation projects?

As with all major construction, some inconveniences are unavoidable. Updates are posted on the Prop M website.

In the event of a utility failure, who do I contact?

During normal business hours, call into the Facilities Office at extension 2629.  Report the nature and location of the failure.

Facilities personnel will be sent to the scene to take immediate steps to safeguard life and property.  An accurate appraisal of conditions will be made, and equipment and/or personnel needed will be determined.

Facilities personnel will assess the effects of the failure and estimate the impact on facilities and personnel.

The Facilities Office will notify the Vice-Presidents of Administrative Services, Human Resources, Instruction and Student Services and other appropriate personnel.

In the event of a major power outage, who do I contact?

During normal business hours, call into the Facilities Office at extension 2629.

A major power outage can occur at any time and at any location, but is most hazardous when school is in session.  The inherent danger during a power outage is panic.  Personnel should remain calm.  All departments should assess the effects of the outage; decisions can then be made about resources needed to overcome temporary problems (especially important in labs).  The decision to cancel classes and/or work or to evacuate parts or all of the campus is determined by the executive administration.

Elevators present a particular safety issue during a power outage because most are not on the emergency power system.  Any elevator containing trapped personnel must be reported to the Campus Police Dispatch at extension 2289 and/or the Facilities Office at extension 2629.

How do I know if Facilities has received my work request or how do I check the status of my work request? 

Routine status requests should be telephoned into the Facilities Office at extension 2629 or they can be emailed to us Facilities Office.

How do I request that a banner be displayed on campus?

Submit your request to be placed on the agenda to the Infrastructure & Sustainability Council.

A committee is presently working on a manual that deals with a number of issues, including temporary signs and banners.  In the future, banners will only be allowed to remain up for a specific period of time.  Banner proposal: One (1) week for signs to be posted in the lawn areas and Thirty (30) days for banners on buildings.

NOTE: all requests for banners have to be approved by the VP of Finance & Administrative Services and they can’t be attached to the exterior of the buildings.

Banners are permitted on campus subject to the following restrictions:

  • Location and installation shall be aesthetically pleasing in its context.
  • Attachment to exterior or interior of buildings may be made only at previously approved locations.
  • Installation shall be made in a previously approved fashion so that it will not damage the building or building components.
  • Attachment shall not compromise building safety and/or security requirements.
  • Attachment shall not be made to light posts, sign posts, trees, other plant materials, or to structures or art pieces not associated with buildings.
  • Banners with a commercial message are prohibited.
  • Banners shall not contain language, symbols or graphics that are obscene or discriminatory in nature.
  • Quality and design of the banner must be first-rate and shall present an image consistent with the college’s prominence in the community.
  • Size of banner shall be appropriate for the intended location.

How do I obtain permission to park a vehicle on a campus sidewalk?

Access the Facilities Forms and select the Vehicle Access on Sidewalks Request Form.  Obtain the necessary signatures and forward the form to the Facilities Office.


  • To request clearance to operate a vehicle on college sidewalks or drive/park on lawn, written permission must be submitted on the above referenced form.
  • This request also applies to outside vendors and/or persons working special events on campus.
  • Once approved the form must be kept inside vehicle and be clearly visible to Facilities personnel.
  • All vehicles must have an escort in the direction of travel.  The escort shall ask people to clear the sidewalk for the passage of the vehicle in a safe manner.
  • All vehicles on the sidewalks shall be operated at an average walking speed or pace.
  • Any person operating a vehicle on a district sidewalk shall be responsible for any damage caused during the operation of said vehicle.
  • All vehicles shall remain on the concrete or asphalt sidewalk surfaces.
  • Pedestrians always have the right-of-way; drivers shall be extremely cautious when passing pedestrians and at any sidewalk intersection or blind corner.