Out-of-State vs In-State


Being a California resident is not a requirement to apply for Financial Aid. However, it’s important to understand that residency classification, as determined by the Admissions Office, and physical presence does have an impact on how financial aid is awarded for eligible students.


ALL students (regardless of residency classification) must be physically present in the state of California to be eligible for federal financial aid. If you are NOT physically residing in the state of California, you will NOT be able to participate in the financial aid programs offered at Palomar College.

See comparison chart below to see how Physical Presence impacts your Financial Aid and Admissions to Palomar College:


The list of Approved states are located at the bottom of our Consumer Information website and it’s updated regularly.  If you ARE physically residing in the state of California but have an out of state address, you will need to update your address through your MyPalomar account. You may also be required to submit verification of physical presence, proving that you reside in California. We encourage you to monitor your Palomar Student email and your “To-Do List” through your MyPalomar account for updates.

In State vs Out of State


If you have been classified as a non-resident student and are currently residing in California, please be aware that additional fees associated with your non-resident status will apply. For detailed information about these fees, please refer to our Tuition and Fee schedule available on our website.

While non-resident students are ineligible for state-specific financial aid programs like Cal Grant aid and the California College Promise Grant, they can still apply for federal financial aid. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) allows non-resident students to be considered for various federal aid programs, including federal grants, loans, and work-study opportunities.

We encourage all non-resident students to take advantage of this opportunity and submit the FAFSA application promptly. It’s an essential step in accessing potential federal aid resources. Click here for steps on how to apply for financial aid.


If you have completed a FAFSA application, you may have the option to submit a Nonresident Tuition Deferment Form. This means that if you have applied for financial aid and are awaiting awarding and disbursement, you may be able to defer the payment of nonresident tuition until your aid is received.

To request a Non-Resident Tuition Deferment: Send an email the Financial Aid Office at finaid@palomar.edu from your Palomar Student email address, or come into the San Marcos Financial Aid Office to initiate this process. You must have a valid FAFSA application on file and you must have completed all tasks on your “To-Do List” through your MyPalomar account.


Check your MyPalomar account for updates.

Financial Aid Questions: finaid@palomar.edu / 760-744-1150 Ext. 2366


Last modified on August 9, 2023