Foreign Nurses

To determine if your foreign license is equivalent to the U.S. license:

  • Foreign coursework must be evaluated by an outside agency. A list of approved agencies can be obtained from the Palomar College Evaluations Office. You then send your transcripts to one of the approved agencies. There is a fee for the evaluation service which you pay to the agency.
  • Apply to the Board of Registered Nursing (BRN) for the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX). Mail your application to the BRN, P.O. Box 944210, Sacramento, CA 94244-2100; phone (916) 322-3350.

The BRN will review your foreign license and send a letter to you noting the missing content/classes. If no content/classes are missing, the letter will state that your license is equivalent and you can sit for the licensure exam.

If content/classes are missing:

  • Acceptance is on a space available basis.
  • The prospective student provides a copy via email of the BRN letter verifying the need for the missing content/classes to the Nursing Department Chairperson for consideration depending on space availability.
  • Prospective students must comply with all medical and clinical clearances.
  • Palomar courses are not offered in units less than a semester in length. Therefore, even though a foreign nurse may be lacking only one of the components (i.e., psychiatric), they must complete the entire semester or two depending on content need.
  • Palomar College does not offer an individual Medical-Surgical course.