Tuition Assistance

Tuition Assistance is the Military’s Financial Assistance Program that helps cover tuition costs for courses for Active Duty personnel. 

Tuition Assistance will cover 100% of your tuition up to $250 per semester credit hour.

Cost of Tuition at Palomar College is $46.00 per unit/credit.

Before Getting Started:

If you plan to use Tuition Assistance (TA), please speak with the Base Education Center before enrolling into courses at Palomar College.  The Base Education Center will assist you with the application process and help you understand the rules and regulations of using TA.

The Base Education Center (BEC) website has a lot of useful information that may help as well!  Please click here to visit their website.

  1. First time using TA?  Please be aware that TA will only cover ONE class the first time you use this assistance.
  2. Cost of Tuition at Palomar College is $46.00 per unit/credit (i.e. 4 unit course will be $184.00 total).
  3. Navy- If it is your first time using TA, you may  be required to submit an education plan to get your request approved.  You can get an education plan by making a Counseling Appointment with one of our Palomar College Counselors.  Please call us to schedule an appointment.
  4. Marines- For your first time using TA, you will not be required to have an education plan.  You may  be required to submit one your second time utilizing TA.  If that is the case, please call us to schedule a Counseling Appointment.
  5. Keep up your grades!  A’s and B’s will allow you to take more two class at a time, after your first time.  Please note that TA will not pay for classes that you receive an F, FW, or D grade.

Tuition Assistance with Palomar College:

Now what?  Read through the information below regarding using Tuition Assistance with Palomar College.

  1. If you are using TA, please let Palomar College know! While you are waiting for your TA to be approved, we will put a hold on your account to prevent you from getting dropped from your course due to non-payment. This saves your seat in the course without being penalized for a non-payment.
  2. Once your TA has been approved, please submit a signed copy of your TA voucher to either the Camp Pendleton Site or the Cashiers Office at the Main Campus.  You may email your signed copy to
    • If you submitted a request for TA and it was not approved, you will be responsible for finding another source of payment. You are welcome to pay for the course out of pocket or apply for FAFSA to see if you qualify for State and/or Federal Aid.  To apply for FAFSA, please visit:  
  3. Please note that your Student Account will reflect that you still owe money for tuition until we have processed billing and received payment from TA.  Palomar College will bill and report grades 30 days after course completion.
    • Note- TA will only cover tuition costs.  Any additional course fees associated with the course (i.e. Student Representation Fee, Health Fee, Course Fees, etc) will have to be paid out of pocket.
    • You can pay any additional course fees separately, in-person, through the Camp Pendleton Site or at the Cashiers Office at the Main Campus.
  4. As mentioned above, TA will not pay for classes that you received an F, FW, or D grade.  You will be responsible for paying for the class either to Palomar College or to TA directly.
    • If TA ends up paying Palomar College, TA may request you to pay them directly.  If you know you will receive one of the grades listed above, we recommend cancelling your TA with the BEC and paying for your class directly to Palomar College.
  5. Dropping Classes-  Depending on the time of your drop, you may have to pay for your course if it is after the refund deadline at Palomar College (refund and grading timelines are located in your Student Center under your Class Schedule).  Please visit our Palomar College’s Refund Policy for more information.
  6. Military Withdraws-  If you had to withdraw from a course due to military obligations, you will need to submit Military Withdraw letters to both TA (through the BEC) and Palomar College explaining the circumstances behind your situation.  You can get a sample letter of a Military Withdraw for TA from the BEC and one from Palomar College through our office on Camp Pendleton.  These will need to be typed up, signed off by your Command, and turned in to the BEC and Palomar College Camp Pendleton with any supporting evidence. If approved, TA will be responsible for paying for your course and you will receive a MW grade with Palomar College.  Please note Military Withdraws are circumstantial and it is advised to speak with our Camp Pendleton Office if you think a Military Withdraw is necessary.