“Community service is such a great thing, and I think it should be included in more college classes. Students hear about what’s going on around the world, but they should also experience it. It gives you a different feeling compared to learning in the classroom”.
– Palomar College Service Learning Student
Step-by-Step Directions For Service Learning
1. Learn from your instructor* about the Service Learning Assignment Requirements for Your Class.
- Browse through our Service Learning List of Community Partners to pick a service learning site that supports your academic, career, and/or personal goals. If you would like to volunteer at a community organization that is not on this list, contact your professor to get approval.
2. Before you begin your Service Learning hours, complete the Service Learning Registration Forms.
- Download and read forms in the Service Learning Packet for Students
- Sign Liability Form (p.3) and Service Learning Agreement Form (p. 4). Turn in a copy of these forms to your instructor.
- Complete the Online Registration Form for Service Learning.
3. After completing your Service Learning hours, submit your timesheet and completion form.
- Turn in your Service Learning Timesheet (p. 5) with signatures to your instructor. Your Evaluation form (p. 6) is optional and can be submitted to your instructor.
- Complete the Online Completion Form for Service Learning.
Our Service Learning Students do amazing work in our community!
- Visit our Awards and Recognition page to learn about other options of recognition you may be eligible for! If you completed at least 15 hours of service per class in a single semester, you may request a Service Learning Certificate
*NOTE: If you are doing Service Learning for more than one class you must complete separate hours and assignments for each class. Please fill out two separate timesheets, two online registration forms, and two online completion forms. Using the same service hours for 2 classes is a “duplication of assignments” which is a violation of academic integrity. Please see the Palomar College Student Code of Conduct paragraph A.