Service Learning provides many benefits for students, faculty, and community organizations.
For students, Service Learning provides opportunities to:
- Connect class concepts to hands-on experiences at local non-profit organizations.
- Confirm (or not) an area of interest or major.
- Develop critical thinking and writing skills.
- Develop civic responsibility.
- Experience social and personal development.
- Learn about potential employment and gain field experience.
- Gain meaningful experiences to help with scholarships and admission to 4-year colleges.
For faculty, Service Learning provides opportunities to:
- Increase student equity for disproportionately impacted groups.
- Revitalize teaching strategies to engage students.
- Reinforce concepts introduced in class to promote deeper learning for students.
- Provide connections to academic content, standards, and SLOs.
- Improve interaction between faculty and students.
- Extend campus resources into the community.
- Reinforce the value of the scholarship and community engagement.
For community organizations, Service Learning provides opportunities to:
- Provide awareness to programs and services available to the campus community.
- Advertise volunteer opportunities on our Community Partners List.
- Bring fresh perspectives and knowledge to the organization.
- Promote empathy and responsibility through civic engagement.
- Connect with and train potential job candidates.
- Participate in our Service Learning Fair to outreach to students each semester. *Currently on hold.
Corporation for National & Community Service. (2007). The impact of service-learning: A review of current research. Retrieved from https://www.nationalservice.gov/sites/default/files/documents/issuebrief_servicelearning.pdf
Prentice, M & Robinson, G. (2010). AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF COMMUNITY COLLEGES Improving student learning outcomes with Service Learning. Washington DC. American Association of Community Colleges.
Simonet, D. (2008). Service-learning and academic success: The links to retention research. St. Paul, MN: Minnesota Campus Compact.
Warren, J. L. (2013). Does service-learning increase student learning?: A meta-analysis. Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning, 18(2), 56-61.