CSU System

If you are interested in transferring to a school in the CSU system (e.g., SDSU, CSUSM, Cal State Northridge, etc., there are several requirements you must meet.  First and foremost, know that with few exceptions, will need “Junior” status for transfer, meaning you’ve completed 60 semester units.  Now, not just any unit counts.  There are certain classes you MUST have and others simply won’t count at all.

Please note that transfer rules change and can vary from school to school, even within the CSU system.  Information presented here was accurate at the time it was posted but you should consult a counselor for up to date information and guidance.

There are two general paths for transfer to a CSU.  The first is called GE-Breadth Certification Courses and will result in your completion of all 39 units acceptable at CSU campuses.  The second is called the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) and will result in the completion of 37 semester units but is acceptable for transfer to both UC and CSU systems.  So, which path should you take?  If you know you only wish to transfer to school(s) in the CSU system, the GE-Breadth pathway will get you on your way. If, however, you desire to transfer to a school in the UC system, out of state schools, or a private school, you MUST take courses to satisfy the IGETC pathway.*

GE Breadth Certification

For the GE-Breadth Certification pathway, courses you must take include courses from

Area A – English Language Communication and Critical Thinking
Area B – Scientific Inquiry and Quantitative Reasoning
Area C – Arts and Humanities
Area D – Social Sciences
Area E – Lifelong Learning and Self-Development

Specific Palomar Courses that will satisfy your undergraduate requirements and be accepted for transfer can be found at the Counseling Center and by visiting www.assist.org.


For the IGETC pathway, students will complete a minimum of 37 semester units (ALL with grades of C or better; C- grades are not accepted).  Requirements for the IGETC are:

Area 1 – English Communication
Area 2 – Mathematical Concepts and Quantitative Reasoning
Area 3 – Arts and Humanities
Area 4 – Social and Behavioral Sciences
Area 5 – Physical and Biological Sciences

Again, specific Palomar courses to satisfy these requirements for the Psychology major can be found at www.assist.org.  So, you might be wondering…Why would I do the GE-Breadth Certification if fewer units are needed for the IGETC path?  Good question!  Although it gets complicated, in general there are more class choices for each Area in the GE-Breadth pathway, so it actually might be easier and more relevant for your interests to take that approach instead of the IGETC.  I know we are sounding like a broken record here, but please talk to your counselor to make sure you are taking the right courses for your goals.

Additional information about transferring to a CSU school can be found here.

But…so far we’ve only mentioned 37 or 39 units, but 60 are required for transfer.  Where do the other units come from?  Those are for your major prep (lower division requirements for your major) or other electives.  Make sure those choices will transfer!

Cal State Psychology Programs

Cal State University Bakersfield
Cal State University, Channel Islands
Cal State University Chico
Cal State University Dominguez Hills
Cal State University East Bay
Cal State University Fresno
Cal State University Fullerton
Humboldt State
Cal State University Long Beach (no undergraduate psychology major; School Psych Masters Degree only)
Cal State University Los Angeles
Cal State University Monterey Bay
Cal State University Northridge
Cal Poly Pomona
Sacramento State University
Cal State University San Bernardino
San Diego State University (SDSU)
San Francisco State University (SFSU)
San Jose State University
Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
Cal State University San Marcos (CSUSM)
Sanoma State University
Cal State University Stanislaus

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *