What is the Student Wellness Advocacy Group?
The Student Wellness Advocacy Group (SWAG) is a peer education program that promotes mental health and wellness education on campus. Our mission is to raise awareness about mental health, and other related issues, and to create a culture of support on campus. We hope to provide valuable education and connect students to the resources, available both on and off campus, in order to promote success and wellness for our colleagues here at Palomar College and beyond.
Benefits of Peer Education
- Students are more likely to reach out for help from other students
- Peers provide a different level of empathy and understanding
- It can be more comfortable for students to talk with peers
- Peers can see more signs that someone may need support
- Students are more likely to utilize the resources available to them when they are recommended by a peer
- Peers can reach a larger audience
SWAG affects change in ways like ….
Mental Health Workshops & Events
Palomar’s SWAG Peer Mentors provide an open and fun space throughout the semester where students can learn about their mental health as well as connect with peers to discover different strategies for self care. Check our Calendar of Events for upcoming events.
Health & Wellness Skillshops
Come learn about ways to take care of your mental and emotional health while also engaging in activities. Join us for upcoming Health & Wellness Skillshops.
- Mindful Self-Compassion
- Mindfulness, Meditation & Relaxation
- Mindfulness Through Vision Boards
Health & Wellness Topics:
- Healthy Relationships
- Stress Management
- Understanding Depression & Suicide
Interested in Becoming a SWAG Peer Mentor?
Join us! We are looking for Federal Work Study students to join our Student Wellness Advocacy Group. If you plan to be enrolled at Palomar College for at least a year and enjoy flexible hours while on campus then this student employment opportunity is a great fit for you! Please e-mail your statement of interest, availability and resume to Kim at: email@example.com.