This is a Firefighter I Academy, held at the Public Safety Training Center in San Marcos. The academy is a one-semester course, meeting Monday through Friday. Two academies are offered per year, in the fall and spring semesters. The application window for the fall semester typically opens mid-April and closes at the end of May. For the spring semester, the application window typically opens mid-September and closes at the end of October of the prior year.
The application process consists of submission of the application, followed by a physical ability test, concluding with an oral interview. Selection into the academy is based on a point system. Please see the screening sheet in “Academy Documents” for the point breakdown.
If you need further information regarding Palomar’s EMT or Paramedic programs, you may visit the EME website, www.palomar.edu/eme
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Possess a current, valid National Registry or county EMT card. You must have this at the time of application, no exceptions. For information regarding Palomar College’s EMT course, follow this link: https://www.palomar.edu/eme/emt/
- Possess a valid California driver’s license.
- Be a minimum of 18 years of age.
- Possess a high school diploma or GED.
- Submit academy application.
- Pass a physical agility test (in 5 minutes, 54 seconds), which is part of the application process.
- Be medically cleared to participate in a dynamic physical conditioning program.
- Not have been convicted of a felony, and certain misdemeanors, in any state. (pc 1201 & 12021.1)
The below items must accompany the application:
- California driver’s license
- Current CPR card
- Current EMT-B National Registry
- Proof of high school or GED completion (diploma, transcript, or certificate)
|ITEM||HOW TO SHOW PROOF|
|Fire Technology core or related classes||Unofficial transcript reflecting grades for classes|
|Completion of 2 or 4 year college||Copy of diploma or unofficial transcripts|
|Paramedic certification||National Registry or San Diego County Paramedic license|
|EMT or Paramedic employment||Copy of paystub, W-2 or letter from employer confirming employment|
|Fire Explorer, Volunteer Fire Fighter or Reserve Fire Fighter||Report of hours, training record, W-2 or employee ID card|
|Honorable Military Discharge||DD214 displaying honorable discharge|
All applications MUST be complete upon submission (with the exception of PENDING transcripts). Proof of completion of fire technology classes must be accompanied by an unofficial transcript. The Fire Technology Office does not have access to Palomar College student transcripts.
Completion of Palomar College’s seven core fire classes is not required, but is recommended prior to applying for the fire academy. If These classes are taken in the fall semester, grades will not be posted in time to receive points on the academy application for the next (spring) semester.
- Fire 100
- Fire 101
- Fire 118
- Fire 120
- Fire 130
- Fire 142
- Fire 165
Fire Academy Application (Available September 12, 2022)
Spring 2023 Fire Academy Dates (Academy 63)
|Application Window Opens||April 12, 2023|
|Application Deadline||May 31, 2023|
|Physical Ability Test||June 3, 2023|
|Oral Interviews||June 12 & 15, 2023|
|First Day of Academy||August 21, 2023|
All communication regarding the application process will be via email. Applicants will be notified of each step in the process.
For further information, please contact Carole Musgrove, Fire Technology Staff Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org. Students who are dismissed from the fire academy for any reason must reapply for admission into a future fire academy.