Common Q & A

Below are common questions Palomar CalWORKs receives from students. The answers provided are to help guide you should you find yourself in a similar situation.

Q: My classes are about to begin or have begun and I still have not received my textbook funds from the County. What should I do?

A: Contact your CalWORKs counselor as soon as possible. She will advocate for you to ensure that the release of your textbook funds is expedited.

Q: I’m struggling in my class/es. I’m concerned I may not pass. What should I do?

A: There are three important steps you should take- 1) contact your professor to discuss available options to improve your grade, 2) schedule a tutoring appointment with STAR Tutoring Center, 3) schedule an appointment with your CalWORKs counselor to discuss additional supportive services.

Q: I added/dropped a class. What should I do next?

A: It’s important that your Welfare-to-Work Plan remain current.  This plan is based on your ITP.  As such, you must schedule an appointment as soon as possible so that your CalWORKs counselor can update your ITP to reflect your current class enrollment.

Q: I received a notification from the Financial Aid office stating that I am ineligible for financial aid. What should I do?

A: Schedule an appointment with your CalWORKs counselor.  During this appointment your counselor will review your transcript and discuss your life circumstances. If it appears that you may qualify for a financial aid appeal due to extenuating circumstances, your counselor will guide you through the process.

Q: I’m feeling emotionally overwhelmed by my life circumstances. Where can I find support?

A: There are many different support services available to you, which include personal counseling through your CalWORKs counselor,  therapy through Palomar Behavioral Health Counseling Services, therapy through Step Forward, and the CARE/CalWORKs Student Support Circles. Schedule an appointment with your CalWORKs counselor to discuss the most appropriate service/s for your needs.