I hope this update finds everyone in good spirits as we head into the last week of the semester. Commencement is around the corner, and it will take place this Friday, May 26th, 2023, at 5:00 pm. We hope to see everyone there!
- Participated in ongoing faculty interviews.
- Hosted Executive President’s Cabinet.
- Hosted President’s Cabinet.
- Met with Palomar Faculty Federation leadership.
- Attended the Educational & Facilities Vision Plan Coordinators meeting.
- Attended the Puente Project’s End of the Year Celebration. Thank you, Dr. Cynthia Cordova, and Sonia Gutierrez, for your incredible leadership.
- Attended the HyFlex Service Learning Reception. Congratulations Angela Kong and Gina Wilson for all your hard work this academic year.
- Attended a workshop with San Diego Poet Laureate Dr. Jason Magabo Perez in support of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. Thank you to the Asian Pacific Alliance in Higher Education (APAHE) for organizing and hosting this beautiful-engaging event.
- Attended the Research Methods in Psychology Spring Poster Fair. I appreciate the invite Dr. Netta Schroer, and thank you to all who made this successful event possible!
- Attended the Bravura Gala. Thank you, Dr. Leanne Maunu, for the invitation to this phenomenal event! I was very moved by the student talent!
- Attended the Fire Academy Graduation. Great job John Thompson, Fire Academy Coordinator, and all the Faculty and Staff who make the Fire Technology Program the incredible success it is.
- Attended the Associated Student Government Banquet. Thank you, Pippa Pierce, Sherry Titus, and Kimberly Rocca for all the phenomenal work you do with these student leaders year-round.
- Attended the MODA Fashion Show. Thank you for extending the invite Rita Campo-Griggs and a note of appreciation to all who made this event remarkable.
- Attended the Faculty Dance Concert. The over 100 performers were spectacular. Thank you, Patriceann Mead and the awesome faculty and crew who make this yearly event possible.
- Attended the Phi Theta Kappa Induction Ceremony. Outstanding work Dana O’Callaghan and Jennifer Backman on the well-organized, student-focused Saturday event.
- Attended the Candidate Campus Forums for the Assistant Superintendent/Vice President of Student Services position.
The forums were recorded and are available for online viewing:
Candidate 1: Dr. Eliazer “Ellie” Ayala-Austin forum link: https://vimeo.com/828030782/b8a478bf3b.
Candidate 2: Nick Mata forum link: https://vimeo.com/828028365/c6246bae6f.
Candidate 3: Dr. Nicole Jones forum link: https://vimeo.com/828131841/639c01f9fb.
To provide feedback on the candidates please take the online survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VPSS2023.
Comments on the finalists will be accepted until noon on Friday, May 26th.
- Met with UC Davis Wheelhouse Cohort 6 via Zoom. Thank you, Chancellor Francisco Rodriguez for hosting the event.
- Attended A Step Beyond’s Board Networking event.
- This week (May 21st– 27th), is Classified School Employee Week designed to celebrate support staff and paraprofessionals who help our District succeed. We salute our classified colleagues for all the essential work they perform. In order to not compete with the last week of the semester, we are excited to officially celebrate them June 5th– 9th.
- Congratulations Coach Lacey Craft, assistant coaches, and the Palomar College softball team for placing 2nd in the entire state!
- Please note, earlier this week, you should have received a survey in your email about my performance as the Superintendent/President. The survey is anonymous, and the aggregated information will be shared with the Governing Board and myself. The survey closes on May 31st at 5pm. Thank you in advance for participating.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Upcoming Events
- Register now for the HSI Fall 2023 Book Club! This year’s Book Club will focus on Dr. Gina Ann Garcia’s new book: “Transforming Hispanic-Serving Institutions (HSI) for Equity and Justice.” Dr. Gina Ann Garcia is a leading scholar on Hispanic Serving Institutions and an Associate Professor at the University of Pittsburgh. Join us for an interactive book club to understand the framework that will help Palomar, a Hispanic Serving Institution, transform into a space of liberation that promotes racial equity and social justice. The first 50 people to register will get a free copy of the book. Everyone is welcomed! To register, access this link.
Educational and Facilities Vision Plan Update
The Educational and Facilities Plan Task Force met on Thursday, May 18th. They reviewed the results of the Facilities Conditions report and discussed their observations and ideas for the San Marcos campus and our Education Centers. The Task Force will continue to meet over the summer to complete the Facilities Vision Plan.
Comet of the Week
The Comet of the Week is Dianna Trujillo-Hernandez, our Social Media Specialist. Dianna works very hard to capture all of Palomar’s student engagement activities and special celebrations. Her commitment to Palomar is to be admired. Thank you, Dianna, for helping us show the world how awesome we are!
Have a great upcoming week. Go Comets!
For pictures of the various events, follow: