Applications shall be submitted online through this website. Applications must include all required documents, as specified in the application. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
The academy begins with a mandatory Police Academy Preparation Course. The three Modules of training are completed in descending order: Module III is first, followed by Module II, then Module I. Recruits must successfully complete the preceding module to apply for or to continue into the next module. If you are accepted into Module III and wish to attend the full year-long academy program, you are guaranteed a seat for the entire year if you maintain good standing within the academy.
The next academy, Class 32, began January 2023.
We are no longer accepting applications.
Please join our Interest List to be notified about future academies.
When the application is received, it will be reviewed for completeness. A confirmation e-mail will then be sent to the applicant. Further instructions will be sent to applicants via e-mail once an application is submitted.
For more information about the modular format program, click here.
The Palomar College Police Academy requires that all applicants meet the minimum eligibility requirements. Applicants must obtain, complete, and submit the following documents and complete the process listed below:
Eligibility Requirements: To submit an application, candidates must meet the following requirements (Established by the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST):
- Possess a high school diploma or equivalent, or a passing score on the General Education Development test (GED) [GC 1031(e)]
- Be a minimum of 20 years of age. (NOTE: You must be 21 years of age to be hired as a CA peace officer [GC 1031(b)]
- Be able to read, write, and speak English consistent with the duties of a police officer. Eligibility may be determined by the successful completion of a written exam in a controlled environment.
- Possess a valid California driver license, or if active military, possess a valid out of state driver license
- Not have been convicted of a felony, and certain misdemeanors, in any state. [PC 29800/ 29805]
- Not be on active supervision through the court or other supervising agency for a criminal conviction.
- If not already registered as a student at Palomar College, complete a Palomar College student application online (www.palomar.edu) and obtain a 9-digit student identification number
Application: All applicants must submit a Police Academy application. Applications must be neat, thorough, and submitted online through our application link. Applications may be submitted during the application acceptance period only. Early or late submissions will not be considered.
Testing Process: Applicants who correctly submit the academy application will be invited to attend a Physical Agility Test (PAT), written examination, and an oral interview with Academy staff. Agency-sponsored applicants will be given preference for available seats in the training program.
Requirements following Acceptance: Upon conditional acceptance into the academy training program, applicants must also complete the following requirements:
- Be satisfactorily fingerprinted to obtain a Department of Justice Firearms Clearance (NOTE: A background check of local, state, and federal records will be conducted on all applicants) [GC 1030 & 1031(c)]
- Be medically cleared by a physician to participate in both a demanding and dynamic physical conditioning program. [GC 1031(f)] Students shall be responsible for providing evidence of such evaluation or exam (the form will be provided following acceptance into the academy)
- Module II and Module I applicants must meet the modular prerequisites regarding completion of prior Modules and current certifications
- Attend the mandatory Police Academy Preparation Course (AJ 85)
- Pay all required fees or purchase required equipment by the designated deadlines
FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS OR FAILURE TO SUBMIT A NEAT, THOROUGH, AND COMPLETE APPLICATION PACKET MAY AFFECT YOUR ACCEPTANCE INTO THE POLICE ACADEMY.