Information for Students and Families


Benefits for Students

  • Earn college credit while still in high school
  • Avoid duplication of coursework
  • Zero cost to you
  • Credit applicable towards prerequisites, certificates, degrees, and/or transfer
  • Gain valuable career/technical knowledge and skills before graduating high school

How to Get Started

  1. Apply online to Palomar College each year you are enrolled in an articulated course, even if you have applied before. The deadline to apply is March 1st.
  2. Create your CATEMA account. Because Palomar College does not have access to your high school’s student records, your instructor and Palomar College use CATEMA to verify your enrollment and post grades for your articulated course. You won’t see your credit by exam in MyPALOMAR/eServices until after your course is over and it has been transcribed.
  3. Earn an A or B in the articulated course and on the final exam/project. Your grade will appear on your Palomar College transcript as “Credit by Exam”. Credit is transcribed over the summer following completion of your course. It is a lengthy process.
  4. Request transcripts to be sent to another institution. Your first two transcripts are free!

Student and Families FAQ

How much do articulated courses cost?

Nothing! Regardless of income, high school students don’t pay for the articulated course or textbooks.

Do I need to apply to Palomar College every year?

Yes, you must complete an online application each Spring, and also register in CATEMA, for us to transcript your credit from your articulated course.

What if I don’t earn an A or B, or my high school instructor doesn’t recommend me for credit?

If you don’t meet the grade or credit recommendation requirement, then you will not get transcripted credit on your college transcript. Your grade will appear on your high school transcript.

When will I receive my credit?

Credit will be transcribed in the fall following successful completion of your spring course.

Will the articulated credit transfer to other colleges and universities?

Palomar College credit is awarded following the CTE High School Articulation/ Credit by Exam process and transcribed as credit by exam. At minimum, most credit by exam transfers as lower division elective credit. However, each CSU and UC campus will determine if the course completed with a credit by exam notation on the transcript will transfer as credit to a specific CSU or UC campus. If you plan to transfer to a private or out-of-state college or university, contact their representatives to see which units are transferable. Students should meet with a counselor for more detailed information to see how their credit will transfer to a specific campus and major.

I don’t have a Social Security Number. Can I still receive credit for an articulated course?

Yes, you can! An SSN is not required to apply to Palomar College.