6 thoughts on “Students: What are your thoughts about the cost of college textbooks?

1. Today our class learned of this new program that is getting ready to launch for us involving low cost or even free textbooks for some classes. This is amazing news. I have gone through 4 math classes since here as an example and had to buy a brand new book every semester due to the internet codes needed. In 2 of those courses I did not even use the codes but was not able to return the books because they were opened. I am a mother of 2 have great grades, and a decent GPA. I think we should be rewarded in doing so with a little break in textbook prices. I have had to skip semesters due to the price of books. I really hope this program works and really hope to see some changes in the positive directions for the markup of textbooks. We all deserve to do well in college and not be in debt for life for use of a textbook. If textbooks were free I could actually save that money and put it towards my tuition when I transfer to help alleviate some of that expense.

2. Well to start off low income/ free books already exist with another program which I can not recall at this moment.I think those who have FASFA/BOG should have MORE than enough to afford the books for classes. Many times I hear peers saying they spend their financial money on other non-school related stuff. But hey WHAT student in their right mind is going to say anything bad about free/reduced books? Lets be realistic nothing is free in this world and everything cost something ! This semester I took 4 classes and have spent around 500$ on books , due to not being eligible for bog therefore paid out of pocket . I recently read an article about why textbooks are expensive and the author gives insights on all different kind of reasons, but goes on to say that the main reason that he thinks they are expensive is the “Market ‘ . Then of course text books seem very expensive , but are they really ? When we put in ; the time of the author , the printing , paper etc.. are they really expensive of is it those retail stores we buy them from ripping us off ? In the end everyone wants free/ cheap things so we cannot disagree on that .

3. The cost of textbooks is atrociously high. Personally, being on a fixed income, the cost of my textbooks has made it very difficult for me to balance my checkbook. I have found it so hard at times that I have had to borrow money from my parents in my 30’s and or sell off personal belongings just so I could make ends meet. For me, I am a veteran, and I rely on my GI bill for income, so if I do not go to school, I cannot afford to support my family, and if I can’t afford books how successful can I actually be in school. In a sense the system for some of us can be a double edge sword. I have done what is needed to get by, but some people are having even harder times then I. Maybe a program that can help with book costs can help more people then you know. I can even see those who are trying to get independence from their parents after high school, have a difficult time or a longer time doing so due to fact they now must work one or two jobs to pay for rent, transportation, utilities, school, and then have to spend a crazy amount on textbooks that most of the time you can maybe only get twenty bucks back for, or nobody will buy back due to the fact a new edition being used.

4. The high cost of College text books have many students struggling to get an education. In my opinion it is not fair that many bookstores have a right to buy back and resale text books, leaving the Author and Publishers with no profit each time the book is sold. With so many students having to pay high mark up costs due to this Bookstore resale business that takes place. I am currently on my 2nd full year of College,and being a Mom 1st I could not return to get a college degree until now my oldest child is 25 and my youngest of 5 children is now 7. I have struggles making ends meet due to my choice to return to school and not work a full time job. It has been hard balancing everything from Getting my kids to and from school, while I am in class, also keeping my bills paid and food on the table let alone gas to get to school.There has got to be something done about the overpriced book sale. It would only be fair to all involved.It should not be allowed to resale the text books and make everyone struggle to get an education.

5. Textbook cost is extraordinarily high. The cost significantly affects students who, as it is, are already struggling to make ends meet. Personally, I have had to take into consideration the cost of a textbook when selecting a class. This semester, in particular, I decided to not take a math class because I knew the cost of the required material would be over $150. I don’t believe any student should have to postpone their education because they cannot afford the materials. It is equally ridiculous to expect students to purchase a new book simply because the added materials that are included with the books are necessary for the class. The books are in essence a waste and if they are loose bound cannot even be resold. The addition of low cost to no cost books in college would help students immensely financially and will also remove an unnecessary stressor.

Adriana

6. This semester my textbooks would have cost me around $745. Unfortunately, I do not have that kind of money. I am a full time freshman student who struggles to get by with my mom. This and last semester I had to find any scholarship I could to help buy/rent my textbooks. This semester I used the palomar financial aid for books that gave me $200. After I got that, I knew I still had to pay $545. I was determined to not pay $545 so I went to the bookstore and searched for the lowest price that they were selling/renting/e-booking my books for. I managed to find almost all of them for about $175. I got two e-books, rented one book, and had to buy two manuals. Although, I was fortunate enough to not have to rent two books (a chemistry book and a math book), because my teachers said that we didn’t have to purchase them. On the other hand, some students like me aren’t as lucky. Most students do have to pay all $745, or more. To a person who lives a very low income life, $745 and $545 is a fortune. It baffles me how students have to pay so much on textbooks for just one semester. I am a huge fan of this program, and I know that it will help other students as well.