Recommendations created by the Becoming Hispanic-Serving Institutions Book Club
Based on reading Dr. Gina Garcia’s book as a collective group throughout fall 2021, the participants worked collaboratively across three meetings to create recommendations and strategies for the college. These are the seven recommendations for Palomar College to become a true Hispanic Serving Institution beyond the HSI designation:
- Enhance the racial, cultural, and linguistic experiences for Latinx students. Allocate resources to Latinx enhancing actions, designate time and compensation for those who lead these efforts.
- Hire people of color for staff, faculty, and administrator positions, including Latinx people who mirror our student population.
- Protect and empower Latinx staff and faculty to go into leadership roles.
- Institutional commitment to support ALASS, MEChA, and Puente.
- Provide a physical space dedicated to Latinx students.
- Provide a physical space for Undocumented/AB 540/DACA and mixed status students.
- Use an HSI lens to improve institutional practices and require equity training for all employees.
You can download a full copy of the Book Club’s Recommendations, including detailed action items for each of the seven recommendations, please see Becoming HSIs Recommendations for Palomar.