HSI Funds: Grant Terminology and Facts
- Title V and Title III grants are issued by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Federal funding for Title III MSI (Minority Serving Institution) grants started due to the Higher Education Act of 1965.
- Federal funding for Title V HSI (Hispanic Serving Institution) grants began in 1998 after years of work by HACU and HHSE.
- Title V and Title III grants are developmental in nature: only new initiatives can be funded. The funds cannot be used to pay for existing activities or programs.
- Title V and Title III grants can be STEM or non-STEM grants.
HSI Grant History at Palomar
- Title III Grant (circa 1990) that established the Mathematics Learning Center, the ESL Computer Labs, among other programs and activities.
- HSI Title V Grant (2009-2014): this grant established the TLCs at the San Marcos and Escondido campus, as well as developed/supported the Summer Bridge program, the First-Year Experience program, and Learning Communities.
- STEM I (2010-2015): this was a joint Palomar-CSUSM Title V/STEM Grant.
- STEM II (2011 – 2016): This was a Palomar only Title III/STEM grant.
- STEM III (2016 – 2021, with a Year 6 NCE ending September 2022): this is a joint Palomar – CSUSM Title V/STEM Grant.