SAN MARCOS–Palomar College has adopted an action plan to support our African-American/Black community and to further equity, diversity and inclusion in the district.
This plan aims to eradicate racism by showing solidarity to antiracism efforts and to develop a culture of antiracism at Palomar.
“It is our time to carry the torch, following in their [previous educators and students’] footsteps, always looking ahead to what Palomar can be for all students,” said Interim Superintendent Jack Kahn in an interview with Palomar News.
Kahn said that they “still have a long way to go.” He added that they have identified the next steps, and will be implementing a variety of antiracist changes Palomar College.
The equity, diversity and inclusion action plan has 10 items in its call to action to create a culture of antiracism at Palomar:
1. Improve and include race-conscious and race-based training for current Palomar College Police Department officers and students in public safety programs.
2. Identify a designated space for African American/Black students at Palomar College (mirroring the Pride and Veterans Center).
3. Hiring more faculty, staff and administrators who are African American/Black.
4. Hiring full-time faculty for Africana Studies who are authentically engaged in Black consciousness.
5. Audit classroom climate. Create action plans to implement inclusive classroom and equity-minded teaching.
6. Provide professional development trainings specifically addressing support for our African American/Black students, promoting antiracism in curriculum and teaching to ensure action is taking place.
7. Ensure African American/Black employees are protected contractually and are included in decision-making processes.
8. Host get out the vote campaign and contextualize the history of voting rights.
9. Have celebratory graduation for African American/Black students on campus.
10. Establish an action group that works toward institutionalizing diversity, equity and inclusion at Palomar College.
The website includes a progress dashboard that displays Palomar College’s progress toward building an antiracist framework.
Some services provided by the equity, diversity and inclusion action plan are: providing resources for undocumented students and the LGBTQIA+ community, adding a Latinx Healing Forum, having a guided discussion with Palomar College’s Pride Center, creating an Empowered Women’s Project, creating a pronoun project and more.
For more information regarding the equity, diversity and inclusion initiative, contact Leslie Salas at email@example.com.
For more information on upcoming equity and social justice events at Palomar College, join the Equity Team.