Palomar College First Latina Superintendent/President

For the first time in 75 years, Palomar College introduces the first Latina Superintendent/President whose goals are to navigate COVID and be an ambassador for Palomar.

Dr. Star Rivera-Lacey is Palomar’s Superintendent/President.

Dr. Star Rivera-Lacey is a daughter of parents who migrated from El Salvador who happen to be Palomar College alumni.

Rivera-Lacey was born and raised in Oceanside who attended El Camino high school, Costa Mesa College, Cal State San Marcos, and completed her master’s at San Diego State. She began her career as a counselor who later on moved up to working in administration and worked in San Diego for 20 years.

Rivera-Lacey’s first goal as a superintendent/president is to navigate the pandemic by safely reopening the three education centers that Palomar has to offer such as Rancho Bernardo, Escondido, and Fallbrook, not just the main campus in San Marcos.

“Over the next three years, we’re going to still have a lot of lessons to learn and for me, it’s really safely reopening the campuses,” Said Rivera-Lacey on zoom.

Rivera-Lacey’s second goal for Palomar is to be an ambassador for Palomar and show the community what resources Palomar has to offer. In a zoom call, Rivera-Lacy said ” right now we’re celebrating 75 years of being Palomar College, not so many colleges can say that and if you look at the history, of all the success that Palomar has, it is just something to be super proud of and I want everybody to know how amazing we are”.

Listening to the faculty’s and student’s voices is important for Rivera-Lacey, that way she can provide resources in order for students, faculty, and the community to be successful.

Rivera-Lacey has two black belts in karate and Okinawan. She calls herself “Bruce Lea” referencing Bruce Lee the mixed martial artist.

“Beyond my wildest dreams beyond my parent’s wildest dreams, every day that I come to work, I think people can attest that I have a smile on my face. I am super privileged and happy to be able to be a part of Palmer colleges family,” said Rivera-Lacey.

• Star Rivera-Lacey: Photo courtesy of Star Rivera-Lacey. | Used With Permission