Vaping Seminar Turns Smokey

“To vape or not to vape?”

This was the question that was posed at the Health Center’s seminar “Truths about E-cigarettes and Vapes” held on April 19. The meeting authored a discussion about different types of vaping pens, how they work, and their effect on the body.

Kathleen Wong, who hosted the seminar, emphasized the risks and dangers associated with e-cigarettes. She listed many studies that explained how vaping can damage the mouth, lungs and skin. Wong also argued that in addition to the negative health effects, vaping can lead people wanting stronger and different things to smoke.

However, some people disagreed and although only 10 people attended, there was tension in the air.

“This campaign is putting commercials out that say that teens and people who vape are three times more likely to pick up a cigarette. But, there’s no proof. I’m around thousands of people who vape, and these kids don’t want to smoke. That’s why they vape,” said Mike Falconer, a vape juice manufacturer.

He stated that most studies against vaping are not legitimate. He believes that yes, young adults are vaping, but vaping actually keeps people from wanting to do more.

Wong responded that that if parents vape, then young people will also vape. She mentioned the Child Nicotine Poisoning Prevention Act — which requires liquid nicotine products to be sold in child-resistant containers — as a consequence to growing concern that young children could easily access these harmful nicotine products, through of-age users around them.

“I vape. It stops me from smoking two packs a day,” Falconer said. “My kids are my responsibility and I keep it from them. The bottom line is this campaign is slanderous as a manufacturer who cares about people who want to stop smoking.”

Angie Saunders, who also attended the meeting, disagreed with Falconer. She believes that even though vaping may stop people from smoking cigarettes, we can not ignore its own health concerns.

“We can’t say a chemical is not gonna harm it. Our lungs are so sensitive, of course it has an effect,” Saunders said.

The rest of the seminar was peppered with comments such as “abstinence is best,” “it is no different than having a prescription of narcotics,” and “the people making the studies are manipulating the data.”

Illustration by Niko Holt/The Telescope
Illustration by Niko Holt/The Telescope

Image Sources

• e-cig illustration.1: The Telescope Newspaper | All Rights Reserved
  • news telescope logo: The Telescope Newspaper

2 Comments

1. Steve
    Steve May 13, 2016

The real question isn’t “Are ecigs perfectly safe?”. The real question is “Are ecigs significantly safER than deadly tobacco cigarettes?”. (They are. 95% safer according to the Royal College of Physicians, and Public Health England.)
    Vaping is an important tool for Tobacco Harm Reduction. It saves lives from deadly tobacco cigarettes.

• Bryan Jug
      Bryan Jug February 12, 2018

I’m majoring in computer science and I’m currently taking classes at palomar. I have to say that my stress is at an all time high and I’ve been addicted to cigarettes for, practically, my entire life. Now that I’ve finally quit, I’ve had so many mood swings and have been generally, in a BAD MOOD.

Being allowed to just walk outside and vape a few times would help me keep off ANY stress and, in as a result, WILL GIVE ME BETTER GRADES. Why cannot palomar college realise this? They have a shit drop out rate at 70%! And they won’t let us be stress free with vaping? Preposterous. SPREAD THE WORD! FREE THE VAPE!