On Tap at The Telescope: Smashed Pumpkin Ale

Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin. Photo courtesy of Dan's Beer/Flickr Commons
Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin. Photo courtesy of Dan’s Beer/Flickr Commons

Smashed Pumpkin Ale, brewed by Shipyard Brewing Co., is one of the many notable Pumpkin brews of this holiday season.

This spiced Pale Ale has an earthy tone to it. When poured it presents as a translucent, amber-hued color, accompanied with a white fizzy foam head that dissipates quickly.

The aroma of the beer contained a mixture of nutmeg, cinnamon, and caramel; together giving off the scent of pumpkin.

With an alcohol volume of 9.0% I was prepared for a seriously hard concoction that wouldn’t agree with me, but it was sweeter and easier than anticipated.

The beer goes down pretty effortlessly, smooth and clean. It leaves behind a bit of coarse carbonation and a spice lingering taste. The initial taste of these combined were overpowering at first.

Luckily though, there is a sweetness in this drink that will gradually alter the taste to a dessert flavor. A replication of fall spices, along with pumpkin is definitely tasted through this holiday malt.

Overall, it is definitely a dessert type of drink with the sweetness it holds. The alcohol was masked astonishingly well for 9% abv. The mix of flavors complemented each other well. It leaves taste buds with the feel of fall and it’s sweet aftertaste.

Smashed Pumpkin taste like a duplicate of your favorite pumpkin pie and seasonal spices morphed into an alcoholic beverage.

I’m not a beer fan of any sort, but I did find myself enjoying the sweetness of this malt. I would recommend Smashed Pumpkin to any pumpkin or brew fan. Enjoy this holiday ale before the season is over.