Remembering the fallen

Flags at the 9/11 remembrance near the Veterans Memorial. Michelle Wilkinson/The Telescope

September 11 is a day that many people will never forget. But as a new generation comes to age, a generation that wasn’t old enough to remember that fateful day 14 years ago, Palomar organizers wanted to bring awareness as well as honor to those who lost their lives that day.

The Office of Student Affairs held a September 11 remembrance event on the lawn near the Veteran Memorial on Friday. Small flags were placed in lines across the lawn, in an attempt to bring awareness to the number of Americans who lost their lives day.

“This kind of memorial encourages citizens to remember the people that are not here anymore,” said Palomar student Andrea Rubortone.

“It’s a great thing for people to come together and pass by to see everyone that lost their lives that day,” said student Michael Nagtalon.

Students and staff were out early to help place the flags.

Andrea Rubortone, Palomar student, walks through the flags at the 9/11 remembrance near the Veterans Memorial. Michelle Wilkinson/The Telescope

“I think it’s great that the college took the time to do this,” Karl Borrero said. Borrero is a veteran and a Palomar student. “I would have hoped for more participation from the students, not just the veterans.”

Borrero said he remembers the day, “I was in LA. I woke up to it. My dad woke me up and told me to check out the news.”

“It’s a day to remember and I hope that the school continues to do this,” Borrero said,

Juan Morales, a Palomar student, was helping place the flags. “I have been doing this for two years to honor and support all the people that passed away,” he said.

“I was in high school, junior year, the teacher told us and we watched it on TV. I was shocked. Why did this happen?” Morales said.