Women’s volleyball team poised for a big year

Palomar Women's volleyball Coach Karl Seiler watches as his team scrimmages against Palomar alumni at The Dome on Aug. 21. The Comets first home game will be against visiting San Bernardino Valley on Friday Sept 4 at 5 p.m. Photo: Philip Farry/The Telescope
Palomar Women’s volleyball Coach Karl Seiler watches as his team scrimmages against Palomar alumni at The Dome on Aug. 21. The Comets first home game will be against visiting San Bernardino Valley on Friday Sept 4 at 5 p.m. Photo: Philip Farry/The Telescope

The nature of the beast for athletics at a two-year college is turnover. But for women’s volleyball head coach Karl Seiler, this year’s squad looks set for a strong campaign thanks to an arsenal of second-year talent and a strong pool of hungry recruits. Led by sophomores Kelli Iverson and Madison Stark, the team is looking to better last season’s impressive 19-6 record.

Coach Seiler is a Palomar alumni and mentor. The student athletes he coaches rave about the 5-time PCAC coach of the year.

“I wasn’t planning on playing volleyball but … I’ve played for him (Seiler) two years previously so I wanted to play for him again,” said Taylor Schade, a 6-foot-1-inch, right hitter.

Denver Spencer, a Freshman 5-foot-9-inch hitter added, “I’d heard about Karl (Seiler) from my grandparents and other people in San Diego, so I knew that he was a great coach. Then when I came and met him, he was very welcoming and inviting, so it became a lot easier to choose (Palomar).”

Last year’s team finished second in the Pacific Coast Athletic Conference and eighth in state rankings. The returning players said they learned a lot from their end-of-season defeat in the So Cal regional to College of the Canyon.

“(I learned) to take practice reps more seriously. You have to work 100 percent in practices to get 100 percent in the game.” said returning first team all-conference player Madison Stark.

Vanessa Flores, a sophomore, 5-foot-3-inch defensive specialist summed it up with, “Train harder, work harder, be better.”

Iverson, a 5-foot-11-inch middle blocker graduate of Christian Life Academy, said, “(Not winning the championship) makes me want to work harder and see what we can do together this year.”

Brittany “B” Mitchell described Iverson’s playing by saying,

“Kelli has an insane vertical. She can probably dunk a

basketball… setting her, she just kills balls all day long.”

Coach Seiler said he knows the team has a lot of work ahead of them but likes the progress he has seen so far.

“We’re moving in the right direction,” Seiler said. Iverson added: “Once we get all the moving parts settled, we’re going to be a really strong team.”

But for all the work, hours, and sweat these women put in the gym, they said they are a family of volleyball players who love and respect each other.

“Everyone is really close and we get along really well. It’s one of

the best teams I’ve been on,” said 6-foot tall sophomore middle blocker Bethany Prochnow.

Hayley Poueu-Silveyra said, “We’re a great group of girls. We like to have fun on the court so we’ll be entertaining to watch.”

“We do better with energy and with support,” added Stark.

On Friday, Aug. 21, the team had a practice scrimmage against Cometvolleyball alumni. The match-up against the former players provided a good yet fun test. The team fought hard, cheered, and supported each other even when the ball didn’t land in their favor.

The Comets first home game will be against San Bernardino at 5 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 4 at the Dome.

Playoffs start the week of Thanksgiving and last to the middle of

December.

Coach Seiler has been recognized over the years, but personal recognition is not why he feels pride.

“I’m more proud of the girls I’ve pushed on to getting full- ride scholarships. I feel that’s a better accomplishment for me.”

He added, “It’s nice when the school gets recognized, but I’m more about what I can do for them.”

Image Sources