I hope this update finds everyone in good spirits, and well rested after the Presidents’ holiday, as we head into the new week. Below is a brief recap of my Campus and Community Engagement activities from the previous week.
- Started off my Valentine’s Day with the Disability Resource Center (DRC) at their Donuts & Disability Celebration event. It is always a pleasure to mingle with our wonderful-caring DRC employees and amazing DRC students to spread disability awareness!
- Attended the monthly Budget Committee meeting. During this meeting, the committee reviewed the 311 Q2 report. The committee also went over the January budget proposal and reviewed the budget process calendar. Thank you, VP Todd McDonald, Director Nancy Lane, and Professor Barbara Baer, for leading this meeting.
- Attended the Regular Governing Board meeting. Highlights of the meeting include the Governing Board deciding to fill the vacancy left by former Trustee Christian Garcia with a Provisional Appointment rather than a Special Election. We will be opening the application process soon. Also, at this meeting our new Student Equity and Achievement Plan was approved by the board, and we had a great presentation on our District’s ongoing safety efforts. A special thank you to our PFF and CCE colleagues who provided all in attendance with Valentine’s Day pizza and cookies.
- Attended the Community College League of California’s CEO Webinar. This webinar focused on CCLC’s legislative and financial priorities for 2023. With the Governor’s release of his 2023-24 budget, a pending FON audit, numerous significant pieces of legislation, and the implementation of various legislative initiatives from previous sessions, it was important to discuss and learn about how these changes will affect California’s community college system.
Educational and Facilities Vision Plan 2035
- This past week the Education and Facilities Vision Planning Task Force held a meeting at the Fallbrook Education Center. The Task Force toured the center and received an overview of the planned “Fallbrook 40” building from our architects. Members of the task force discussed the Education Vision Plan’s draft goals, objectives, and programming for the Education Centers. Finally, the District’s planning consultants provided possible strategies and recommendations for the implementation of the plan’s goals and objectives.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Update
- Last week I had the privilege of attending two Black History Month workshops. The first workshop was “Disrupting Racism Through the Lens of the Arts (Part II): From Emancipation to Jim Crow” presented by USC Music Professor Dr. Ronald McCurdy. This workshop was a historical journey that explored how central the arts have been in thwarting racism. The second workshop was “Money Management & Financial Challenges Affecting the Black Community” presented by Felipe Arevalo & Rae Russell from the San Diego Financial Literacy Center. This workshop stressed the importance of money management and financial goal setting. Our Black History Month Workshop series will continue next week. I encourage you to support these efforts. All workshops are available for professional development credit. For more information please visit the PBFSA website here.
- Please join me in formally welcoming our new Assistant Superintendents/Vice Presidents Drs. Todd McDonald and Tina Recalde at their official Welcome Ceremony on March 1st. Click here for the flyer with details. They have been with us for a little over a month, and we are very excited to give them a warm Comet family welcome.
Comet of the Week
The Comet of the Week is Public Services Librarian Linda Morrow! I want to recognize Linda for setting up fantastic heritage month displays throughout the Learning Resource Center (LRC). I encourage everyone to go see the current displays up in honor of Black History Month. It is evident that a lot of love and effort goes into these beautiful displays.
Have a great upcoming week. Go Comets!
For pictures of the various events, follow: