Enjoy a Restful Labor Day!

As we enter week three of the semester, I hope you have a restful and safe Labor Day! Here is a brief recap of my activities from the past week.

Campus Engagement
This week, I had the opportunity to meet and present to the Palomar College’s Foundation Board of Directors to let them know the great things that are happening on campus.  I attended the Budget Committee Meeting where we were given a sneak peek of a draft of the Adopted Budget for the Fiscal year 2022-2023.  I attended the, All-Campus State of the Budget update. I met with Administrative Association (AA) and Confidential and Supervisory Team (CAST) leadership. I met with Council of Classified Employees (CCE) leadership. I met with the Palomar Black Faculty and Staff Association (PBFSA) members.

Community Engagement
I am very happy to announce that I have been appointed to the Boys & Girls Club of San Marcos (B&GCSM) Board of Directors. B&GCSM is a well-respected organization in our community, and I look forward to strengthening the mutually beneficial relationship between our two great organizations! Thank you, President and CEO, Cathy Bauer for this great opportunity.

Educational and Facilities Long-Range Plan
We are officially kicking off our educational and facilities long-range planning process! As I mentioned last week, this plan will establish the vision for Palomar’s programs and facilities over the next twelve years with a significant update in year six. As part of this effort, we will be holding more than 50 listening/visioning sessions with our Palomar College community and external campuses this fall. This means we need to get a start on these meetings now!

We will begin holding our listening sessions on Tuesday, September 13. Our first task force meeting will be held on Thursday, September 15.

Since our educational programs are central to everything we do, we will kick-off our listening sessions by focusing on these areas. We have organized the program listening sessions according to our Palomar Pathways. This coming week we will begin notifying our faculty and staff of the designated dates and times for the sessions. The communications will come through email and meeting invites. We have expanded the education program sessions to ensure we can cover our wonderful and diverse programs. Please be on the lookout for a meeting invite! Coming soon, we will have a webpage dedicated to this planning process. We will post progress, Task Force meeting days and times, and a calendar of the listening sessions.

Governing Board Meeting Update
To improve the efficiency of the Palomar College Governing Board meeting, effective Tuesday, September 6, 2022, Open Session will start at 4:00 p.m. (versus 5:00 p.m.). The Governing Board meetings are held in LRC-438 and the agenda and zoom link to join virtually can be found in Board Docs.

Comet of the Week
The Comet of the week is Chris Miller, Director of Facilities. Chris has been making great progress towards ensuring the greatest accessibility to our facilities. We are extremely pleased and grateful for his service to our students and faculty.

One last thing, please check out the latest Palomar News.
https://mailchi.mp/04baf88a21cf/news-from-palomar-college-13571469

Have a great upcoming week. Go Comets!

For pictures of the various events, follow:
Twitter: @palomardrstar
Instagram: @palomardrstar