Palomar College Learning For Success

Federal Work Study Frequently Asked Questions

How do I request a Federal Work Study Student?
Step 1 – Complete the Federal Work-Study (FWS) Job Request form. Step 2 – Submit the form to the Financial Aid office no later than July 15th in order to meet the priority deadline for the upcoming aid year.
How are Work-study job positions filed?
The information you provide on the FWS job request form will be posted on this website.  Students who are awarded FWS will contact the supervisor listed on the job request and set up and interview.  The student should fill out the Student and Temporary Application prior to the interview. If you wish to hire the student, fill out the Federal Work Study Student Employment Action Form and obtain all the appropriate signatures. Fingerprinting is now required for all student employee applicants. The student must turn in the completed Application and the Action Form to Human Resources Services in order to receive the Request for Live Scan (fingerprint ) form. The student will take the Live Scan Form to an off-campus location to have the scan done. The Live Scan fee will be charged to the District for student applicants. HR must receive and review the Live Scan/fingerprint report prior to the department offering a formal offer of employment. Once you have been hired and filled out all hiring paperwork, contact the Human Resources Office to schedule an appointment for review of the hiring forms.  You may not begin working until all hiring paperwork, including the Live Scan and the TB skin test, has been completed and submitted to Human Resources.  The final approval to begin working comes from Human Resources.
What is the employment period for FWS students?
Fall 2022 Start date August 22, 2022 thru December 17, 2022; Spring 2023 Start date January 30, 2023 thru May 27, 2023
Please keep in mind that the actual employment period is contingent upon the individual student’s award for each semester, the hourly rate, and the hours worked each week.
What are the requirements and responsibilities of having a Federal Work-Study student?
Students must complete all required employment papers before beginning employment.Students must not work during their scheduled class or exam times.
Student time sheets are DUE in the Financial Aid Office on the 16th  of each month. Students and supervisors are responsible for monitoring the hours worked for each payroll time period. Any hours worked in excess of a student’s award offer must be paid from their departmental budget.
What is the starting wage for Work-Study students?
The starting wage for student workers, including work-study students, is now set by the College at $15.00 (Student 1-Performs basic tasks and duties under direct supervision. Entry level position which does not require prior experience in the specific job field), $16.00 (Student 2-Experience and specialized knowledge required. Performs a variety of advanced tasks. Capable of using independent judgment), or $17.00/hr (Student 3-Extensive experience and specialized knowledge or training for specific functions. Performs assignments requiring use of judgment and problem-solving skills to handle complex tasks).  
Who do I contact to get further information regarding the Federal Work-Study Program?
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, CONTACT THE FINANCIAL AID OFFICE Adriana Sanchez 760-744-1150 ext. 2213, or email at


Last modified on June 7, 2022
scroll to top