The following discussion and action took place at the November 8, 2017 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:
Vice President for Instruction, Jack S. Kahn, Ph.D. called the meeting to order at 2:35 p.m.
- Announcements –
- Mark Bealo reported that members of the National Science Foundation grant team attended the Advanced Technological Education (ATE) conference in Washington D.C. on October 23 – 25, 2017. He and one other member also had a booth at the Commercial UAV Expo conference in Las Vegas on October 24 – 26, 2017.
- Jim Odom, Manager, Educational Television is the new AA representative on IPC.
- Comments from Constituencies –
- Barb Kelber reported that she appreciated the opportunity to discuss class scheduling at the Chairs & Directors meeting on November 3, 2017.
- Second Reading – Career Education Committee (Formerly Perkins Planning and Advisory Committee) (IV.A.3) – VP Kahn reported that the intent of this committee is to tie the Perkins and Strong Workforce considerations to IPC for the purpose of providing feedback. The group was approved with amendments.
- Motion to approve the Career Education Committee Governance Structure Group Request:MSC – (Kelber/Barton)
- Motion to amend the Career Education Committee Governance Structure Group Request: MSC – (Kelber/Bongolan)
- South Education Center Substantive Change Accreditation Draft – Michelle Barton reported that the draft is currently going through the governance process. She advised that ACCJC has streamlined their process with the report now being more compact and concise. The purpose of the report is for ACCJC to ensure our processes are in place for the South Education center to be successful.
- Guided Pathways Self-Assessment (I.B.4) – VP Kahn reported that he has been working with VP Gonzales, Glyn Bongolan, Patrick O’Brien, Travis Ritt, Kelly Falcone, Wendy Nelson, Dean Kailikole, Rachel Miller, Michelle Barton, and Ben Mudgett, to complete the Guided Pathways Self-Assessment. The purpose of the self-assessment is to rate ourselves as a college and then the group will work to develop a Guided Pathway plan which is due in March 2018.
- Accreditation Training (I.C.12) – VP Kahn reported that there is ACCJC online training available here: https://palomar.csod.com/LMS/LoDetails/DetailsLo.aspx?loId=6aa456a1-2ce7-4707-a63b-0ae6bea81de9&back=%2fLMS%2fBrowseTraining%2fBrowseTraining.aspx%3ftab_page_id%3d-6#t=1 He asked that the Council complete the training prior to our first Council meeting on January 24, 2018.
- Waitlists Workgroup – Update –There was discussion on continuing to roll the waitlist until midnight the night before the classes start or moving it up to stop rolling two days before classes start. A recommendation was made for Enrollment Services to execute the batch process until two days before classes start instead of five days before classes start. All were in favor.