Palomar College Learning For Success

Comet Information Exchange (CIE)

Connecting Committees and Councils through Communication

Menu

Tag: Strong Workforce

IPC (10/11/17)

The following discussion and action took place at the October 11, 2017 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

Vice President for Instruction, Jack S. Kahn, Ph.D. called the meeting to order at 2:32 p.m.

  • Announcements:
    • Marketing Update – Laura Gropen, Director of Communications, Marketing, and Public Affairs reported that our new brand is called “Palomar Powered”. She reported that her department has been working with Creative Services to effectively develop templates for the campus to be able to support this brand.  Laura also reported that her department oversees and/or develops marketing for billboards (3), digital campaigns, bus ads (50-88), class schedules, catalogs, community events, 3 Minutes of News and Palomar News.  She can be contacted at 760-744-1150 x2152 with any questions.
    • Need faculty member from IPC to serve on SSEC – VP Kahn announced that we need a faculty member from IPC to serve on SSEC and Susan Snow volunteered.
    • VP Kahn introduced Justin Smiley as the Acting Dean of Social and Behavioral Sciences.
  • Comments from Constituencies – Barb Kelber reported that she, Glyn Bongolan, Dean Sivert and Gary Sosa attended the Dual Enrollment conference on 9/27/17. They will be putting together summaries of their workshop experience to share with the Council.
  • Approve minutes – September 27, 2017 MSC – (Farrell/Smiley): The minutes for September 27, 2017 were approved and accepted into the record.
  • First Reading – Add Apprenticeship Faculty and Associate Dean of Workforce & Extended Studies to IPC (IV.A.2) – VP Kahn suggested we move to Second Reading/Action Item and vote on this item.  There was a suggestion on the Apprenticeship faculty being appointed by the CTEE Division.
    • Motion to move item to a Second Reading/Action Item:  MSC: (Miyamoto/Bealo)
    • Motion was made to add Associate Dean of Workforce Development & Extended Studies and Apprenticeship faculty representative appointed by the CTEE Division; motion carried unanimously. 
  • Waitlists Workgroup – Kelly Falcone reported that our waitlist is currently run manually as a “batch” process at midnight and stops running 5 days before a class starts. Another option is a “trigger” process that would automatically enroll a student once a position in a class open up.  Kelly will research both the batch and trigger options, look into models other colleges use around waitlists and come back to next IPC meeting on 10/25/17 with more information.
  • PRP (I.B.5) (I.B.9)
    • Department – VP Kahn surveyed the Council regarding the need for department PRPs to be completed for another reason besides the purpose of resource allocation. He suggested the following:
      1. All departments can do a PRP.
      2. The departments that want to a PRP can do one
      3. Departments do not complete a PRP, but at Resource Allocation time, fill out a Resource Allocation form.

The Council agreed that the departments who would like to do a PRP can do one.Questions­ – Contact Kelly Falcone at 760-744-1150 x3643 for Google Drive or PRP training

  • Faculty Prioritization – This typically happens in the spring.
  • Resource Allocation – This typically happens in the spring.
  • Block Grant update – VP Kahn reported we will not be receiving Block Grant funds this year.
  • Quirky web issue (Sivert) – Dean Sivert reported there was an issue on the IRP website that was fixed using the refresh button.
  • Staffing requests­ – The new VPHR will be putting together a staffing plan.
  • Guided Pathways – VP Kahn reported that he and Michelle Barton, Glyn Bongolan, Adrian Gonzales, Rachel Miller and Benjamin Mudgett have been working on a draft for a Guided Pathways Self-Assessment that is major initiative by the state. The draft is our own view of where we are with Guided Pathways at Palomar College.  We are looking at how we are creating accessibility for middle and high school students by the use of meta-majors.
  • Strong Workforce & Perkins Membership – Update (IV.A.3) – Nichol Roe reported we have been discussing creating a committee for Strong Workforce by combining it with the current Perkins Planning and Advisory Committee to form a new committee that reports to IPC. She would like to recommend this new committee meet twice a semester, with two additional meetings for Strong Workforce and Perkins proposal discussions for a total of six meetings per year.  It was suggested to add the following:
    • Instructional Dean
    • Information Services Director (or designee)
    • Facilities Director (or designee)
    • IRP Director (or designee)
    • Enrollment Services Director (or designee)

VP Kahn asked that Nichol bring a proposal to the next IPC meeting stating how this committee and their meetings will integrate into the IPC process.  This item will be brought back as a First Reading/Action Item at the next IPC meeting on 10/25/17.

  • Standing Reports
    • Accreditation – VP Kahn reported that we are finishing our substantive change report for the South Education Center.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Instructional Planning Council website:    http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/

 

IPC (9/27/17)

The following discussion and action took place at the September 27, 2017 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

Vice President for Instruction, Jack S. Kahn, Ph.D. called the meeting to order at 2:36 p.m.

  • Announcements:
    • Accreditation Steering Committee – IPC representative needed – Justin Smiley volunteered to serve on this committee.
    • Marketing Update by Laura Gropen on 10/11/17 – VP Kahn announced that Laura Gropen will be presenting a marketing update at IPC on 10/11/17.
  • Information/Discussion Items:
    • Add Associate Dean of Workforce & Extended Education to IPC – VP Kahn proposed to add the Associate Dean of Workforce & Extended Studies to IPC. There was discussion on keeping the structure as is, with “5 instructional deans” and having up to 5 present at each meeting.  There was further discussion on adding an Apprenticeship faculty member and also adding the Dean of Workforce & Extended Studies to keep the balance between administrators and faculty.  VP Kahn reported that we will bring it forth as a 1st reading at the next IPC meeting on October 11, 2017 adding the Dean of Workforce & Extended Studies and an Apprenticeship faculty member.
    • CASAS Update – Suzanne Sebring reported the Adult Education Block Grant (AEBG) members are working with ESL, Math and Reading for the CASAS implementation. Each area is implementing it differently.  CASAS (Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment Systems) is a nonprofit organization that provides assessments of basic skills for youth and adults and curricular tools to target instruction. CASAS is used by federal and state government agencies, business and industry, community colleges, education and training providers, correctional facilities, and technical programs.  https://www.casas.org/
  • Waitlists Workgroup – VP Kahn reported he is working on putting together a Waitlists Workgroup that will report out to IPC. Kelber and Kelly Falcone volunteered to assist. There was discussion on IPC implementing “Best Practices” around waitlists.  There was a suggestion to have Dr. Magnuson be involved and also to have him present at IPC.  VP Kahn reported he will reach out to Dr. Magnuson and will also ask Travis Ritt to see any if any faculty members would like to be included.  We will report back as an update at the next IPC meeting on 10/11/17.
  • PRP (I.B.5) (I.B.9)
    • Timeline (Attachment A) – VP Kahn presented the updated IPC timeline. He advised that degree and certificate information is now available now on the IRP website.  https://www2.palomar.edu/pages/irp/prp-instructions-form-links-and-data/
    • Rubric – VP Kahn reported that the comprehensive PRP rubric has been updated; incorporating the suggestions he has received. The Deans will be trained on the new rubric on September 28, 2017.
    • Training – VP Kahn reported that Deans will be conducting training over the next two weeks. He will send the dates of the trainings out to the Council.
    • Forms – Kelly Falcone gave an overview of the new PRP process on the Google drive. She took the Council to the following URL:  http://tinyurl.com/y973zwcu which is a test site she created.
  • Auditing a Course – Dean Sivert reported many times extenuating situations occur around audits. The question was that if Palomar College is largely denying audits, should we have verbiage in our catalog and in our policies and procedures stating that auditing is allowed and further stating the parameters around it.  VP Kahn suggested we discuss this here and also at Faculty Senate.  Seth San Juan volunteered to bring this to the Faculty Senate for discussion and bring feedback to the Council on 10/11/17.
  • Strong Workforce & Perkins Membership – Update (IV.A.3) – VP Kahn reported that he discussed this with Dr. Blake and she is on board with the creation of this group and to have it report to IPC. There was consensus among the Council to support this as a way to move towards better integrating both areas within the college structure.
  • Instruction – New Partnerships –VP Kahn reported that the Deans and Directors have been doing a lot of outreach and making connections in the community:
    • Engibeering – We have met with CSUSM to discuss their Engibeering program that will be starting soon. They would like us to provide classes as a stepping stone into their program.
    • Formerly Incarcerated Students – We have met with members of Santa Barbara College and Mira Costa College to assist us getting better connected with serving formerly incarcerated students. Suzanne Sebring is taking the lead on offering instruction at Vista Jail and also offering a Summer Bridge program.
    • Business Programs – Tabled.
    • San Marcos Methodist Church – We are in collaboration with them in attempting to reach this demographic group with our Religious Studies program.
    • TERI, Inc. – We have met with them and are learning about the different programs they offer and how we can partner with them. They serve people with developmental disabilities.  They have also contributed a great deal to our food bank.
    • CSUSM Accelerated KINE Program – We have been working on this for about a year. CSUSM has a very impacted Kinesiology major.  Their Extended Education program will be prioritizing Palomar College students to get into their program by auto-enrolling students who take certain classes at Palomar College.
    • Harrah’s and Pala Casino – We have met with them to learn about ways we can serve them. Rincon has the 1st Native American Brewery and Beer.  We are working with them on partnering this with the CSUSM Engibeering program.  Harrah’s is interested in partnering with us around culinary and they advised that we can use their kitchen in this effort.  Nichol Roe reported that the VUSD applied for a grant around culinary as well.
    • Summer enrichment programs – Nichol Roe reported that we will be offering Palomar Powered Summer Enrichment Programs (formerly called Summer Academies). Classes will be transferrable and will be offered to all students, but marketed to 9th – 11th  Some examples of programs to be offered are:  Build Your Own Computer (BYOC), Fast and Furious Calculus Academy, Fire Forensics, First Responders, Gray’s Anatomy, Ocean Explorers, STEM Academies, Time, truth & Temples and Triple Threat.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Instructional Planning Council website:    http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/

IPC (9/13/17)

The following discussion and action took place at the September 13, 2017 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

Vice President for Instruction, Jack S. Kahn, Ph.D. called the meeting to order at 2:36 p.m.

  • Announcements
    • Accreditation Steering Committee – IPC Representative Needed – There were no volunteers to serve on the Accreditation Steering Committee.  We will continue to bring this item back at future meetings.
  • Comments from Constituencies – José Briceño asked if the PRP form would be revised again this year. VP Kahn informed the Council of a meeting scheduled for tomorrow that will address revision of the PRP form as well as to access of the data.
  • Approve minutes – August 23, 2017 – MSC – (DeSimone/Lee): The minutes for August 23, 2017 were approved and accepted with corrections, and abstentions from Kathy Kailikole, Zeb Navarro, Seth San Juan and Susan Snow.  (Corrections suggested by Bealo – Section 12 – Change Michael Bealo to Mark Bealo; Addition of a note on the marketing comment ($350K) into the minutes).
  • Integration Draft for Review – Olga Diaz, Director of Student Success and Equity informed the Council that the Chancellor’s Office is requiring all Colleges to integrate plans for SSSP, NCSSSP, Student Equity, and BSI into a single plan. The legislative focus for each of the programs has not changed. IPC will be provided a draft of the integrated plan and will be able to critique and approve the Plan and drafts.  The projected timeline for the plan is as follows:
    • September/October – Shared Governance 1st and 2nd readings by each Council
    • November – Governing Board approval
    • December 15th – Plan due to the Chancellor’s Office
  • Strong Workforce & Perkins Membership Update (IV.A.3) – VP Kahn reported that Susan Garland and Dean Fritch are coming up with a timeline for how we allocate and spend Strong Workforce funds. VP Kahn is advocating for that group to be a subcommittee of IPC due to the fact that the Perkins funding is a subset of instructional planning. He asked the Council for their thoughts of adding them to a subcommittee reporting to IPC.
  • PRP feedback process (I.B.5) (I.B.9) (II.A.16)
    • Timeline (Attachment B) – The Council reviewed the proposed timeline for PRPs. The Council agreed that PRPs should be reviewed by deans prior to being forwarded to IPC groups for peer review and proposed changes to the current timeline.
    • Suggestion for choosing next 30 – The next 30 departments due for a comprehensive review have already been chosen. Those departments will be notified by the deans after VP Kahn sends them a list of those departments.
    • Define “Re-do” – There was consensus among the Council to define a “Re-do” of the PRP as completing a new comprehensive program review this year based on new data, as opposed to revising the comprehensive form based on the data from last year in addition to the review required this year.
      • Re-do last year
        • -more work
        • +stay on cycle
      • Do another Comprehensive this year
        • -less work
        • +more value as more up to date
        • -off cycle
    • VPI Feedback – Audience – There was consensus among the Council that the VPI should include department chairs in the feedback sent to IPC groups that reviewed the PRPs.
    • Past year feedback resolution – VP Kahn proposed to the Council that his recommendation regarding departments directed to re-do a PRP be supported by the Council and not be sent back to the Council for further review, for this year. All were in favor, with an abstention by Marlene Forney.
    • Current year feedback process – There was consensus among the Council that if there is a disagreement between the reviewing groups and the VPI, a meeting of the VPI and IPC review group would take place to review the concerns.
      • Group and VPI
      • Who reads Re-do
      • Action on Re-do – What do we do if we disagree?
    • Establish new groups (PRP Review)
    • VPI PRP Rubric (Attachment C)
    • IPC Google Shared Drive – VP Kahn will communicate via email regarding establishment of the new groups.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Instructional Planning Council website:    http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/

IPC (8/23/17)

The following discussion and action took place at the August 23, 2017 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

Vice President for Instruction, Jack S. Kahn, Ph.D. called the meeting to order at 2:36 p.m.

  • Welcome and Introductions – VP Kahn welcomed IPC to the fall 2017 semester and introductions were made.  Nichol Roe, Associate Dean of Workforce and Extended Education reported that the programs in her area include: Occupational and Non-Credit, Apprenticeship (credit and non-credit) and Not-for-Credit (i.e.: Venture).  Suzanne Sebring, Director of Occupational & Non Credit reported that she has been working with the Adult Education Block Grant (AEBG), faculty and department chairs of Math, English, Reading and ESL to implement pre/post testing.  She will be attending The New World of Noncredit with Melinda Carrillo, Shauna Moriarty, Wendy Nelson, Nichol Roe and Shayla Sivert on October 6 – 7, 2017 at Four Points by Sheraton in San Diego.
  • Comments from Constituencies – VP Kahn reinforced that we need to ensure that information is being disseminated out to our constituent groups from our Council meetings and feedback is brought back to the Council meetings.
  • Approve minutes – May 10, 2017  MSC – (Barton/Snow): The minutes for May 10, 2017 were approved and accepted into the record with abstentions from Mark Bealo, Sarah DeSimone, Nichol Roe and Suzanne Sebring.
  • IPC Roles & Responsibilities – Governance Structure & Membership – VP Kahn reviewed the roles and responsibilities of IPC include the following:
    • Program review and Planning (Fall)
    • Resource Allocation (Spring)
    • Prioritize faculty hiring (Spring)
  • New Structures – CSIT & MNHS – VP Kahn reported that there was a temporary move of Computer Science (CSIT) to Math and the Natural and Health Sciences (MNHS) and it has become a permanent move.
  • Strong Workforce & Perkins Membership – Susan Garland reported that there is Perkins Planning and Advisory committee in place. They are looking into combining this committee and the Strong Workforce committee into one and possibly inviting others from Facilities, Fiscal Services, IRP, IS and Student Services to join.
  • Accreditation – VP Kahn reported that our Accreditation department has challenges retrieving data from various Councils at year end. A recommendation was made at a recent retreat to site Accreditation information as we are going throughout the year on agendas/minutes.  Marti Snyder will be meeting with the recorders of the Councils in September to begin this process.
  • Board Policies and Administrative Procedures – Chapter 4: Instructional Services – VP Kahn reported Instruction will be reviewing their BP/APs this year Instruction’s year to go through BP/AP’s. We will be vetting them through the system to be completed by August 2018.  (I.B.7) (IV.A.3)
  • IPC PRP Forms – VP Kahn reported that we had 29 areas complete a comprehensive review for FY 2016-17. We will need to identify who will be completing the comprehensive PRPs for FY 2017-18.  (I.B.5) (I.B.9)
  • Certificates Workgroup – Gainful Employment (Loucks & group) – Richard Loucks reported we are federally required to keep our Gainful Employment website up to date: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/gainfulemployment/ VP Kahn proposed that we create a Workgroup to include Richard, IRP and others to audit all of our certificates and bring proposals forward to IPC.  Glyn Bongolan and Michael Bealo offered to join the Workgroup.  (I.A.3)
  • Standing Reports
    • Accreditation – Michelle Barton reported that ASC will be meeting on Friday, August 25, 2017 and they are working on the sub-change for the North and South centers.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Student Services Planning Council website:    http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/