Human Resource Services Planning Council
The following discussion took place at the October 6th, 2015 meeting of the Human Resources Services Planning Council:
- VP Popielski reported the recruitment for 23 new FT Faculty positions and 2 new FT Counselor positions for 2016-17 were approved at the last Instructional Planning Council meeting.
- VP Popielski reported we should receive a report soon from the Chancellor’s Office that will give us the Faculty Obligation Number (FON). Once we have this information, we will know how many more FT faculty positions may be required.
- VP Popielski reported the number of positions that have been filled since the SERP and discussed succession planning.
10 positions filled so far
20 positions in progress
11 positions on hold due to the classification study
2 positions filled so far
5 positions in progress
5 positions filled as interim assignments
- VP Popielski talked about the need to start planning for staffing the North and South Centers.
- There was a discussion about the importance of maintaining a safe and healthy work environment with fewer employees to do the actual work.
- HR Analyst, Shawna Cohen, provided an update on the current Staffing Plan which is in its 6th and final year and talked about planning for the next Staffing Plan.
- VP Popielski reported on a discussion at the Strategic Planning Council about the plan for a common web portal (Comet Information Exchange) where information from the various Council and committee meetings can be shared.
- VP Popielski reported the date of the annual Unity in Diversity event will be on Thursday, April 14, 2016 and it is hosted by the EEO Advisory Committee.
- HR Analyst, Shawna Cohen, provided information about the many activities offered by Team Life.
Additional information can be found at the Human Resource Services Planning Council Website: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/hrspc/
Meeting Summary Chairs and Directors Meeting October 2, 2015
Interim Vice President for Instruction Dan Sourbeer called the meeting to order at 1:05 p.m.
- Eric Briggs, Internship Coordinator at Palomar for this academic year, gave a presentation on the program. The goal of the program is to ready students to facilitate their own internships with companies in the community. He will be on campus Tuesdays and Thursdays in the Career Center to meet with interested parties. Rosie Antonecchia indicated they would like to meet with departments regarding the program as
- Interim Dean, CTEE, Paul Kelly shared new information regarding the CTE Program Approval Process. Things have changed and more information is required up front in order to receive the verbal go-ahead to create new programs, including labor market information, anticipated enrollment, and anticipated impact on programs in the
- Interim VP Sourbeer demonstrated where to find the fund request forms to apply for Student Success and Equity Council monies. Dean Shayla Sivert indicated she had issues submitting the form and informed the group that, if that occurs, they can save the form as a pdf and email it to Michelle LaVigueur.
- Interim VP Sourbeer shared that he has had several complaints regarding instructors leaving and letting students out early from class. He indicated all instructors are required by their contract to remain in class for their published hours, even if students leave early (for example, after taking a test). He requested assistance from Chairs and Directors in documenting and resolving attendance
- Interim VP Sourbeer will be sending out links to the revised PRP forms with dates when training will be offered, following IPC approval of the forms at the 10/14/15
- When working on COR reviews or changes, Interim VP Sourbeer advises working in groups comprised of the Department Chair, faculty originator, Dean (if available) and/or a divisional representative from the Curriculum Committee. Changes can be made on the spot and the COR should sail through
- Fall scheduling is underway for 2016, using the new compressed calendar. Chairs and Directors are asked to work with their Deans.
- Interim VP Sourbeer indicated divisions/departments should begin working on a 2-year grid for courses this fall. This will assist students with their educational pathway
- Interim VP Sourbeer indicated there will be a meeting this month at Mt. Carmel High School to talk to the community about the South Center. There may also be an Open House at the South Center in November/December.
- Faculty hiring was discussed and the priority list, approved by IPC, was distributed. Interim VP Sourbeer indicated the first 22 positions (not including Math 1 & English 1 which were already filled) will be posted first. After the FON is recalculated based on revised enrollment reports, additional positions may be
- Calvin Onedeer Gavin presented on special programs including EOPS, CalWORKS and Trio, encouraging Chairs and Directors to inform students about these programs. He distributed brochures and information regarding the programs available, indicated the programs are recruiting, and offered to attend departmental meetings by
The meeting adjourned at 2:25 p.m.
Next Meeting November 6, 2015
Finance & Administrative Services Planning Council
The following action and discussion took place at the September 24, 2015 meeting of the Finance & Administrative Services Planning Council:
- MS (Miller/Moise): Debbie King from the Foundation presented a five-year pledge from Hunter Industries establishing an endowment of $500,000 in support of the Palomar College Arboretum. A motion was made to accept the donation and advance it to SPC. The motion carried unanimously.
- VP Perez welcomed and introduced new Fiscal Services Director, Carmen Coniglio.
- VP Perez reported a subcommittee of the Budget Committee will meet on the fourth Tuesday of each month for an in depth discussion and analysis of the District’s budget.
- VP Perez reported the interviews for the new President are in progress with an anticipated start date of January 2016.
- VP Perez mentioned that the District is beginning to plan for offerings/schedule/staffing of the South Education Center, opening Fall 2017.
- VP Perez reported the new California Coast Credit Union ATM machine was installed near the Bookstore.
- Chris Miller reported Palomar College won two awards at the Community College Facility Coalition (CCFC); an Award of Excellence for the Humanities Building and an Award of Merit for the Learning Resource Center.
Additional information can be found at the Finance & Administrative Services Planning Council Website:
Instructional Planning Council
The following discussion took place at the September 23, 2015 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:
- Presentation from Faculty Senate regarding Faculty Hiring Procedures (FHP) including recommendations for edits to the document
- Mollie Smith was appointed the IPC representative for the Accreditation Steering Committee
- Discussion regarding the 2015-16 PRP Forms, Process and Timelines – Updated forms will be sent electronically as soon as they are finalized
- Discussion regarding the need for a workgroup to evaluate/edit PRP forms/process for 2016-19 – Wendy Nelson and Michael Mufson volunteered to be part of this workgroup
- Discussion regarding IPC goals and breakout session into small groups to complete SWOT analysis to assist in determining goals
- IPC goals for 2015-16 include: a) developing specific strategies to enhance hiring of diverse faculty; b) review faculty prioritization; c) form workgroup to improve 3 year program review and planning cycle documents/process; and d) improve communication/reporting out strategies
- Interim VP Sourbeer reported that the Accreditation Leadership Team is making progress toward addressing recommendations
- Interim VP Sourbeer encouraged council members to review the Student Success and Support Program (SSSP) Plan and Student Equity Plan and request funds for appropriate projects. Plans and the funding request form can be found on the SSEC website: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ssec/
- Michelle Barton reported that SPC has been discussing updating institutional plans. They would like IPC and SSPC to guide the dialog and conversations necessary to update these plans along with an SPC task force.
- Interim VP Sourbeer mentioned that the District is beginning to plan for offerings/schedule/staffing of the South Center.
- Mollie Smith discussed the Adult Education Block Grant (AEBG 104). Palomar is in a consortium with seven (7) high school districts to offer adult education in those communities. There will be money to build pathways to Palomar.
Additional information can be found at the Instructional Planning Council Website:
Strategic Planning Council
The following action and discussion took place at the September 1, 2015 meeting of the Strategic Planning Council:
- Dan Sourbeer reviewed how FTES is generated and how enrollment is calculated
- Ron Perez reviewed a two-year budget summary, the budget history from the last five years, 2015-16 FTES projection, large college designation and stability funding
- Kendyl Magnuson discussed the College’s FTES number generated with and without borrowing
- Discussion on the impact to the College if it moves to a medium college status
- Report that a South Center implementation team will be formed
- Discussion on the College Plans that need to be updated this fiscal year
- Discussion of strategies to increase enrollment and retain students
- Report on the findings from the Chancellor’s Office Task Force on Accreditation
- Report on the progress of the presidential search
Additional information and exhibits can be found at the Strategic Planning Website: