The following action and discussion took place at the November 9, 2016 meeting of the Student Services Planning Council:
- INFORMATION/DISCUSSION ITEMS
- Payment Plan Review – Carmen Coniglio reviewed the new Nelnet Enterprise Payment Plan for students. The plan is now live and benefits our students by offering them an alternative payment option. It is integrated with PeopleSoft and transactions are processed in real time.
- Review 2016-17 PRP’s – VP Gonzales reported that Student Services has a workgroup currently updating our PRP forms to be used next year (2017-18). He reviewed the following PRP’s:
- Admissions Office
- Update on Student Services District BP/AP
- BP/AP 5220 – Shower for Homeless Students – VP Gonzales reported that there is new legislation (Assembly Bill No. 1995) requiring that we provide homeless students access to shower facilities. The VP Student Services Cabinet is in the process of updating BP/AP 5220. The draft will be brought to SSPC at the next meeting on December 14, 2016.
- OTHER BUSINESS
- VP Gonzales reported that the Search Committee for the VPHRS position completed their first level interviews on October 28, 2016. Unfortunately, the pool of applicants was not very deep and the committee was not able to identify any candidates to move forward into second level interviews. The committee unanimously recommended that the College restart the search process. The position will be posted again next week and will run through January 2017. An email will be sent out soon to the constituent groups asking for members to serve on this hiring committee.
- Judy Harris reported that La Maestra Community Health Centers is hosting a Mobile 3D Mammogram event today, November 9, 2016 from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. in Parking lot 6.
- Ryan Williams reported the Veterans Services department will be hosting a Veterans Day Ceremony on Thursday, November 10, 2016 on the lawn in front of the Student Union.
- Patrick O’Brien reported that the Counseling Department hosted the High School Counselor Conference on Friday, November 4, 2016 in the Student Union. A group of 91 high school counselors from our district attended. They learned about our academic departments, student support programs, updates regarding our new assessment process and dual enrollment opportunities. They also heard from current Palomar students and alumni during a student panel. The feedback was overwhelmingly positive with 73% of counselors reporting that the conference expanded their knowledge of the programs and services offered at Palomar.
Meeting was adjourned at 11:04 a.m.
Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Student Services Planning Council website: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/sspc