The following discussion took place at the November 10, 2016 meeting of the Human Resource Services Planning Council:
Strategic Plan 2019 – Action Plan Year 1 (Draft)
Shawna Cohen led committee members in a careful review of the draft objectives and project steps related to Goal #4 in the new Strategic Plan 2019, which is to maintain and support a diverse workforce.
Classification Study Implementation Update
Shawna Cohen reported implementation of the changes resulting from the Classification Study is almost complete. Memos were sent to classified staff (and their supervisors) whose positions were reviewed in the study informing them of their new classification titles and related position information as approved by the Governing Board. All the new classification specifications are now posted on the HRS website.
Shawna Cohen reported HRS is currently recruiting to fill vacated positions resulting from the SERP. Classified positions that were held up due to the Class Study are now being opened as well. As the District is now in stability funding, recruiting for faculty positions will be limited. HRS is also working toward filling all interim administrator positions. Recruitment for the position of Vice President, Human Resource Services, is scheduled to open a second time; interviews will be conducted in early Spring 2017.
Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Human Resource Services Planning Council Website:
Human Resource Services Planning Council (HRSPC)
Student Services Planning Council
The following action and discussion took place at the May 11, 2016 meeting of the Student Services Planning Council:
- Approval of Minutes for April 27, 2016:
MSC – (DiMaggio/Meyers): The minutes for April 27, 2016 were approved and accepted into the record with abstentions from April Cunningham, Judy Harris and Ryan Williams.
- Student Services District Board Policies and Administrative
Acting VPSS Brian Stockert discussed the Student Services Board Policies and Administrative Procedures that are currently being prioritized and reviewed at the VPSS Cabinet. Council members were asked to review any BP/AP that pertain to their area and bring feedback to the next SSPC meeting on August 24, 2016.
- Add Manager of Outreach to SSPC Membership
Acting VPSS Brian Stockert discussed adding the Manager of Outreach to the SSPC to support a direct reporting relationship for the Recruitment and Retention committee. This will brought back as a First Reading to the next SSPC meeting on August 24, 2016.
- Academic Review Committee – Dr. Kendyl Magnuson reported that the “W” process is currently being reviewed.
- Behavioral Health & Campus Wellness Committee – Lori Meyers reported that their next meeting is scheduled for May 12, 2016.
- Campus Police Committee – No report.
- Registration Committee – No report.
- Scholarship Committee – Dr. Kendyl Magnuson reported they are finalizing awards.
- Student Program Eligibility Appeals Committee – Dr. Kendyl Magnuson reported this committee is officially charged with reviewing the BOGW appeals.
- Acting VPSS, Brian Stockert gave an update on personnel hires:
- Finalists were selected for the Superintendent/President and the forums will be held on May 18, 2016 in the Howard Brubeck Theatre.
- Second level interviews are being held for four Counselor positions.
- The position for the Outreach Manager has closed and they are in the process of reviewing applications.
- The Director of Financial Aid position has closed and they are reviewing applications.
- Kendyl Magnuson has been reclassified to Senior Director, Enrollment Services effective July 1, 2016.
- Debbie King has been reclassified to Director of Foundation Operations effective July 1, 2016.
- Commencement will be held on Friday, May 20, 2016 at 5:00 p.m. on the Football Field.
- Jamie Moss reported they will be recruiting new Student Ambassadors as many will be graduating.
Additional information can be found at the Student Services Planning Council Website:
The following discussion took place at the May 11, 2016 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:
- Interim VP Sourbeer solicited questions/comments regarding the PRP priorities as recommended by the Division deans. The priorities were unanimously approved by the council.
- Interim VP Sourbeer mentioned that accreditation work will continue over the summer.
- Interim Dean Blanchard distributed a handout showing Palomar faculty that have committed to participating in the summer AEBG curriculum alignment project. Discussion centered around noncredit courses and their various applications ensued.
- Interim VP Sourbeer announced that the Superintendent/President Search Committee has selected finalists and forums will be held next Wednesday, May 18th in the Howard Brubeck Theatre
- Interim VP Sourbeer mentioned that a marketing company was interviewed and a decision should be forthcoming soon. · Faculty hiring is progressing and all committees should finish their work within a week of graduation.
- Margie Fritch, currently at SD Mesa CC, has accepted Palomar’s offer to become the new permanent CTEE Dean, starting on July 1st. The process of hiring a permanent AMBCS Dean will begin soon.
- Michael Mufson announced there will be a concert hour/student honors recital as well as an awards ceremony tomorrow, May 12th. In addition, the Palomar Symphony & Chorale will have a combined performance on Friday, May 13th & Saturday, May 14th. The Palomar Pacific Coast Concert Band will perform on Sunday, May 15th.
Human Resource Services Planning Council
The following discussion took place at the October 6th, 2015 meeting of the Human Resources Services Planning Council:
- VP Popielski reported the recruitment for 23 new FT Faculty positions and 2 new FT Counselor positions for 2016-17 were approved at the last Instructional Planning Council meeting.
- VP Popielski reported we should receive a report soon from the Chancellor’s Office that will give us the Faculty Obligation Number (FON). Once we have this information, we will know how many more FT faculty positions may be required.
- VP Popielski reported the number of positions that have been filled since the SERP and discussed succession planning.
10 positions filled so far
20 positions in progress
11 positions on hold due to the classification study
2 positions filled so far
5 positions in progress
5 positions filled as interim assignments
- VP Popielski talked about the need to start planning for staffing the North and South Centers.
- There was a discussion about the importance of maintaining a safe and healthy work environment with fewer employees to do the actual work.
- HR Analyst, Shawna Cohen, provided an update on the current Staffing Plan which is in its 6th and final year and talked about planning for the next Staffing Plan.
- VP Popielski reported on a discussion at the Strategic Planning Council about the plan for a common web portal (Comet Information Exchange) where information from the various Council and committee meetings can be shared.
- VP Popielski reported the date of the annual Unity in Diversity event will be on Thursday, April 14, 2016 and it is hosted by the EEO Advisory Committee.
- HR Analyst, Shawna Cohen, provided information about the many activities offered by Team Life.
Additional information can be found at the Human Resource Services Planning Council Website: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/hrspc/