Palomar College Learning For Success

Comet Information Exchange (CIE)

Connecting Committees and Councils through Communication

Menu

Tag: funding

SSEC (05/13/16)

Student Success and Equity Council

The following action and discussion took place at the May 13, 2016 meeting of the Student Success and Equity Council:

MINUTES

  • Approval of Minutes for April 22, 2016:

MSC – (Ordille/Waite): The minutes for April 22, 2016 were approved and accepted into the record with abstentions from Veronica Aguilera, Cindy Anfinson and Chris Hopp.

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  1. New CCE/AFT Representative, Rosalinda Tovar was introduced.
  1. Olga Diaz reported that the majority consensus for a summer 2016 meeting date was for July 12, 2016 from 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.  The purpose of this meeting will be to review agenda proposals, SE/SSSP funding distributions and for Workgroups to meet.
  1. Olga Diaz gave a presentation on the SSSP and SE audit process, noting the following:
  • Dates are pending for the SSSP audit which will be subcontracted to Vavrinek, Trine, Day & Company LLP (vtdcpa.com).  Areas to be audited include:
    • Student counts for our core services:
      • Orientation
      • Assessment for placement
      • Counseling/Advising/Education Planning
      • Follow-up for at-risk students
      • Other services
    • 80% will consist of testing our revenues/expenditures for compliance with our core services
    • 20% will consist of verifying that the college submitted required plans and reports (plan updates, plan budgets and mid-year reports)
  • A SE audit has not been announced.
  1. Olga Diaz presented the updated SE funding request form and suggested revisions were discussed.
  1. Olga Diaz reported that the following conference opportunity is available with SE funding:
  • M2C3 – National Consortium on College Men of Color (NCCMC)

June 9-10, 2016 at SDSU – $200.00 (Consortium members) or $400.00 (Non-Consortium Members)

https://interwork.sdsu.edu/forms/m2c3/registration.html

Conference opportunity – June 9-10

OTHER BUSINESS

  1. Olga Diaz reported that the Chancellor’s Office is accepting applications for additional Student Equity funding, with a deadline of May 25, 2016.

Additional information can be found at the Student Success and Equity Council Website: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ssec/

SSEC (12/11/15)

Student Success and Equity Council

 

The following discussion took place at the December 11, 2015 meeting of the Student Success and Equity Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Wendy Nelson, one of our SLO Coordinators gave a presentation on the GE/ILO – Intercultural Competency & Knowledge Assessment.
  • The following SSEC members will assist the effort to adopt a Student Equity Funding Rubric:
    • VP for Instruction, Dan Sourbeer
    • ASG  Representative, Matthew Baugh
    • Faculty from the Basic Skills Committee, Cynthia Anfinson
  • Interim Superintendent/President Adrian Gonzales gave an overview of the history and value of M2C3.
  • Interim Superintendent/President Adrian Gonzales reported that our Student Equity plan was approved by the Governing Board on December 8, 2015 and has been mailed to the Chancellor’s Office.
  • Dean Brian Stockert gave an update on the SSSP Plan, reporting our funds for FY 2014-15 have been spent and he gave an overview of the plans to allocate the funds for our current fiscal year.
  • Interim Superintendent/President Gonzales announced upcoming travel opportunities and reviewed the SSEC Funded Travel guidelines.
  • SSEC members met in Workgroups during the last half of the meeting.

OTHER BUSINESS:

  • Interim Superintendent/President Adrian Gonzales congratulated Jorge Villalobos on his new assignment as a tenure track faculty member at Mesa College.
  • Interim Superintendent/President Adrian Gonzales reported that he will ask IS Director, Connie Moise to give a presentation to the SSEC on the Technology initiative in the spring.

Additional information can be found at the Student Success and Equity Council Website: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ssec/

Chairs & Directors Meeting, 10/2/15

Meeting Summary Chairs and Directors Meeting October 2, 2015

Interim Vice President for Instruction Dan Sourbeer called the meeting to order at 1:05 p.m.

  • Eric Briggs, Internship Coordinator at Palomar for this academic year, gave a presentation on the program. The goal of the program is to ready students to facilitate their own internships with companies in the community. He will be on campus Tuesdays and Thursdays in the Career Center to meet with interested parties. Rosie Antonecchia indicated they would like to meet with departments regarding the program as
  • Interim Dean, CTEE, Paul Kelly shared new information regarding the CTE Program Approval Process. Things have changed and more information is required up front in order to receive the verbal go-ahead to create new programs, including labor market information, anticipated enrollment, and anticipated impact on programs in the
  • Interim VP Sourbeer demonstrated where to find the fund request forms to apply for Student Success and Equity Council monies. Dean Shayla Sivert indicated she had issues submitting the form and informed the group that, if that occurs, they can save the form as a pdf and email it to Michelle LaVigueur.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer shared that he has had several complaints regarding instructors leaving and letting students out early from class. He indicated all instructors are required by their contract to remain in class for their published hours, even if students leave early (for example, after taking a test). He requested assistance from Chairs and Directors in documenting and resolving attendance
  • Interim VP Sourbeer will be sending out links to the revised PRP forms with dates when training will be offered, following IPC approval of the forms at the 10/14/15
  • When working on COR reviews or changes, Interim VP Sourbeer advises working in groups comprised of the Department Chair, faculty originator, Dean (if available) and/or a divisional representative from the Curriculum Committee. Changes can be made on the spot and the COR should sail through
  • Fall scheduling is underway for 2016, using the new compressed calendar. Chairs and Directors are asked to work with their Deans.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer indicated divisions/departments should begin working on a 2-year grid for courses this fall. This will assist students with their educational pathway
  • Interim VP Sourbeer indicated there will be a meeting this month at Mt. Carmel High School to talk to the community about the South Center. There may also be an Open House at the South Center in November/December.
  • Faculty hiring was discussed and the priority list, approved by IPC, was distributed. Interim VP Sourbeer indicated the first 22 positions (not including Math 1 & English 1 which were already filled) will be posted first. After the FON is recalculated based on revised enrollment reports, additional positions may be
  • Calvin Onedeer Gavin presented on special programs including EOPS, CalWORKS and Trio, encouraging Chairs and Directors to inform students about these programs. He distributed brochures and information regarding the programs available, indicated the programs are recruiting, and offered to attend departmental meetings by

The meeting adjourned at 2:25 p.m.

Next Meeting November 6, 2015