Palomar College Learning For Success

Comet Information Exchange (CIE)

Connecting Committees and Councils through Communication

Menu

Tag: funding requests

Basic Skills Committee

The following discussion took place at the September 15, 2016 meeting of the Basic Skills Committee:

ACTION ITEMS:

  • 16/17 Academic Year long term goals were approved.
  • Funding Rubric to request BSI funds were approved.
  • Members for Funding Subcommittee were approved (Kevin Kearney, Ruth Barnaba, Benhui Zou, Dana O’Callaghan, Lee Chen).

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • 7th year anniversary of Summer Bridge (98 participants in Summer 2016).
  • 2016-17 FYE cohort consist of 192 students. The Fall 2016 FYE fieldtrip will be to the Getty Villa.
  • Fill rates and retention rates remain strong for all Fall 2016 Learning Communities.
  • Village Mentoring model is being rexamined.
  • TLC San Marcos campus is offering a total of 18 skillshops in Fall 2016.
  • TLC Escondido center is offering a total of 13 skillshops in Fall 2016.
  • 2016-17 Basic Skills Action Plan is suspended (CCCCO).

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Basic Skills Initiative website: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/bsi-hsi/

Chairs & Directors (5/6/16)

Interim Vice President for Instruction Dan Sourbeer called the meeting to order at 1:09 p.m.

  • Interim VP Sourbeer discussed enrollment management. Historically, summer enrollment is an indicator of fall enrollment. At this time, summer enrollment is down, but enrollment continues and the hope is these numbers will increase.
  • New announcements included the hiring of a new CTE Dean who will begin on July 1st, Margie Fritch. In addition, a marketing firm is being selected who will work with faculty and staff to redefine Palomar and make sure the community knows what we have to offer.
  • Strategic Planning Committee (SPC) had a presentation on the South Center and voted unanimously to move forward. The Board will be discussing the South Center at an upcoming Board workshop.
  • A lot of collaboration is occurring between Palomar and its K-12 districts. Discussions and activities including dual enrollment, CSU remediation, cohort groups for summer classes, and noncredit opportunities through the Adult Education Block Grant are underway.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer informed the group that the IPC approved the subcommittee recommended top 20 positions to hire for 2017-18. It is possible that hiring will not occur next year, as our numbers are down and significant hiring is taking place this year.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer indicated that IPC is working on approval of PRP funding allocations. The goal is to allocate lottery funds at the beginning of each fiscal year for regular operating expenses. The remainder of lottery funds and block grant funds will be allocated for one time or short term uses at the end of the fiscal year. Those funds will be available July 1st of the next fiscal year and must be used within that year.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer discussed the need for increased money for conference/travel. He is working with the Foundation to secure an allocation. This might be coordinated through Professional Development. He asked those present if getting a more significant allocation every four (4) years or so would be a better option than having a smaller amount available. The consensus was this would preferred. Rand Green mentioned that travel for professional development and travel for training (updating of certifications, etc.) should be viewed differently.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer discussed topics from a recent CIO conference which included regionalization of funding, including AEBG and some of the CTE initiatives. In addition 25 recommendations from the Taskforce on Workforce were discussed. Strategic planning in regard to these recommendations will take place over the summer.
  • Interim President Gonzales, Interim VP Sourbeer, and Acting VP Stockert visited Arizona State University last week to tour the campus and learn about transfer opportunities for Palomar students.
  • Work on the accreditation recommendations continues and will be finalized over the summer.
  • The Policies & Procedures committee will be addressing the free speech policies and procedures at 9:00 am in Room H-306 on May 13th. BP 3900 & AP 3900 are attached for your review.
  • Dean Kahn introduced the Instructional Showcase Advertising Team, including Chris Norcross, Melinda Finn, Kelly Helming and Abby Algarin. This team has been working on a tool for our website that has been developed to showcase programs and activities occurring at Palomar. Events can be share through various social media and flyers can be automatically generated using this tool as well.
  • Dean Sivert, Debra Avila, and Chris Norcross discussed a tool called the SkillShop Site Calendar that is being developed to be a one-stop destination for students to see what workshops are available to assist them in meeting their educational needs. The calendar is color coded and can be filtered by category and/or campus locations to see what SkillShops are being offered.
  • Chris Norcross demonstrated how to use the new Open Class Search Tool, which has been launched and allows filtering of open classes to find a course needed by the individual student, depending on their educational goal.
  • Dean Sivert mentioned that the look of e-services is changing. She asked that Directors and Department Chairs inform their faculty.
  • Dean Sivert also discussed the progress of the creation of a part-time faculty pool and the steps to be used when utilizing this resource, which she hopes to see up and running this summer. We will continue to streamline the process collectively.
  • Marty Furch and Wendy Nelson discussed work of the Learning Outcomes Council and GE-ILO assessments. They also discussed the job of the SLO facilitator and offered recommendations as to how this position should be structured/filled in the future.
  • Interim Dean Kailikole gave an update on the status of the HSI STEM Proposal. We will not know until June or July if the college will be receiving funding. Interim Dean Kailikole, Interim Dean Blanchard and Dean Kahn and working on another STEM grant. Information will be presented to the Faculty Senate on May 16th.
  • Interim Director Harris explained to faculty that they do not issue medical excuses to students and ask that faculty not send them to the Health Center for this reason.

The meeting adjourned at 2:53 p.m.

Basic Skills Committee

Committee/Council Name: BASIC SKILLS COMMITTEE

Meeting Date: 04/21/2016

The following action and discussion took place at the April 21, 2016 meeting of the Basic Skills Committee:

 INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Report on how Basic Skills courses are coded.
  • Report on the direction of Learning Communities in the future.  More research needs to be done to create a successful program.
  • The Committee approved a 7-member subcommittee to review the Funding Requests: 5 committee members along with the two co-chairs.  The co-chairs will vote in case of a tie only.
  • Report on Summer Bridge: Write On is closed, Math Jam is closed, ESL Jam at Escondido has healthy enrollment, ESL Jam at San Marcos has increasing enrollment.
  • Report on FYE 2016 enrollment; 110 applications received so far.
  • The Committee had come up with six (6) long-term goals for the Basic Skills Action Plan; only five are allowed.  Two goals were combined into one.  The Committee will vote on the goals at the first meeting of the fall 2016 semester.
  • The Committee agreed to use the funding evaluation rubric on a trial basis for the fall 2016 submissions, and adjust the rubric based on that experience.

Link to full meeting minutes: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/bsi-hsi/agendaminutes/

Basic Skills Committee

Committee/Council Name: BASIC SKILLS COMMITTEE

Meeting Date: 03/17/2016

The following action and discussion took place at the March 17, 2016 meeting of the Basic Skills Committee:

 INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Report on a CAP (California Acceleration Project) training opportunity.
  • Update on Summer Bridge enrollment for summer 2016.
  • The Committee approved all five Basic Skills Funding Requests.
  • The Committee reviewed the funding requests with the proposed rubric; a trial run to improve the rubric.
  • The Committee discussed a funding evaluation process.
  • The new meeting time for the 2016-2017 year was brought to the attention of the Committee.

 

Link to full meeting minutes: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/bsi-hsi/agendaminutes/

SSEC (04/08/16)

Student Success and Equity Council

The following action and discussion took place at the April 8, 2016 meeting of the Student Success and Equity Council:

MINUTES

  • Approval of Minutes for March 11, 2016:

MSC – (Sourbeer/Bongolan): The minutes for March 11, 2016 were approved and accepted into the record with abstentions from Michelle Barton, Martha Martinez, Wendy Nelson and Jose Ramirez.

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • The following Student Equity funding requests ranked in the order below were reviewed:
    • Math Tutoring Center
    • Foster Youth
    • Tarde de Familia
    • TLC Funding
    • TLC/FYE Counselors
    • MEChA
    • Stats Methods Tutoring
    • Pathway to Law School
    • FYE/Faculty Resource Coordinators
    • Service Learning

ACTION ITEMS/FIRST READING

  1. Add Manager of Orientation and Follow-up Services to SSEC Membership:

Interim Superintendent/President Adrian Gonzales led the discussion on adding the Manager of Orientation and Follow-up Services to the SSEC membership.  Members were encouraged to discuss this with their constituent groups and it will be brought back for Second Reading at the next SSEC meeting on April 22, 2016.

  1. Draft Evaluation Rubric for SSEC Funding Requests:

Interim Superintend/President Adrian Gonzales discussed the rubric with the Council.  Suggestions were made to align the funding request with the rubric, test it and bring it back for a Second Reading.

OTHER BUSINESS

  • Workgroup Membership Schedule for AY 2016-17:

There was discussion on the SSEC meeting schedule for the new academic term aligning with the new compressed calendar.    

  • Michelle Barton reminded the Council of her suggestions to have members collectively read the book: Redesigning America’s Community Colleges – A Clearer Path to Student Success and discuss at future Council meetings in the fall of 2016.  Olga will purchase a supply of the book to distribute to the Council.)

Additional information can be found at the Student Success and Equity Council Website: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ssec/

SSEC (02/26/2016)

The following discussion took place at the February 26, 2016 meeting of the Student Success and Equity Council:

MINUTES

  • Approval of Minutes for January 22, 2016:

MSC – (Sourbeer/Anfinson): The minutes for January 22, 2016 were approved and accepted into the record with an abstention from Anel Gonzalez.

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Kristyn Lewko and Tracie Sayre gave a presentation on the electronic degree audit.  Testing is underway for this online, automated system.
  • Wendy Nelson gave a report on an equity session she attended during the ASCCC – 2016 Accreditation Institute conference held February 19-20, 2016.
  • Olga Diaz reported on the following:
    • Upcoming conference opportunities
    • SSSP and Student Equity budget reports for 2014-15
    • Faculty advising
    • Region X Equity Week activities on March 7 – 11, 2016
  • Cindy Anfinson presented a rubric for the SSEC funding requests.
  • The Retention Workgroup requested the Manager of Orientation and Follow-up Services have a seat on this Council.
  • The SSEC Workgroups met and reported the following:
    •  Student Pathways – Michelle Barton reported that they are discussing guided student career pathways.  She requested the Council begin reading the book: Redesigning America’s Community Colleges – A Clearer Path to Student Success and discuss their thoughts on it at the Council meetings.  Olga will purchase a supply of the book to distribute to the Council.
    •  Access & Outreach – Dr. Jack Kahn reported they will be researching strategies our campus community has implemented to support Veteran students and will begin to identify an institutional mission for this student group.
    •  Retention – Nancy Moreno reported they are planning workshops for the Week of Welcome (WOW), which will be held August 15-18, 2016.

Additional information can be found at the Student Success and Equity Council Website: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ssec/