Palomar College Learning For Success

Comet Information Exchange (CIE)

Connecting Committees and Councils through Communication

Menu

Tag: faculty hiring

IPC (5/11/16)

The following discussion took place at the May 11, 2016 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Interim VP Sourbeer solicited questions/comments regarding the PRP priorities as recommended by the Division deans. The priorities were unanimously approved by the council.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer mentioned that accreditation work will continue over the summer.
  • Interim Dean Blanchard distributed a handout showing Palomar faculty that have committed to participating in the summer AEBG curriculum alignment project. Discussion centered around noncredit courses and their various applications ensued.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer announced that the Superintendent/President Search Committee has selected finalists and forums will be held next Wednesday, May 18th in the Howard Brubeck Theatre
  • Interim VP Sourbeer mentioned that a marketing company was interviewed and a decision should be forthcoming soon.  ·         Faculty hiring is progressing and all committees should finish their work within a week of graduation.
  • Margie Fritch, currently at SD Mesa CC, has accepted Palomar’s offer to become the new permanent CTEE Dean, starting on July 1st. The process of hiring a permanent AMBCS Dean will begin soon.
  • Michael Mufson announced there will be a concert hour/student honors recital as well as an awards ceremony tomorrow, May 12th.  In addition, the Palomar Symphony & Chorale will have a combined performance on Friday, May 13th & Saturday, May 14th. The Palomar Pacific Coast Concert Band will perform on Sunday, May 15th.

Chairs & Directors (5/6/16)

Interim Vice President for Instruction Dan Sourbeer called the meeting to order at 1:09 p.m.

  • Interim VP Sourbeer discussed enrollment management. Historically, summer enrollment is an indicator of fall enrollment. At this time, summer enrollment is down, but enrollment continues and the hope is these numbers will increase.
  • New announcements included the hiring of a new CTE Dean who will begin on July 1st, Margie Fritch. In addition, a marketing firm is being selected who will work with faculty and staff to redefine Palomar and make sure the community knows what we have to offer.
  • Strategic Planning Committee (SPC) had a presentation on the South Center and voted unanimously to move forward. The Board will be discussing the South Center at an upcoming Board workshop.
  • A lot of collaboration is occurring between Palomar and its K-12 districts. Discussions and activities including dual enrollment, CSU remediation, cohort groups for summer classes, and noncredit opportunities through the Adult Education Block Grant are underway.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer informed the group that the IPC approved the subcommittee recommended top 20 positions to hire for 2017-18. It is possible that hiring will not occur next year, as our numbers are down and significant hiring is taking place this year.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer indicated that IPC is working on approval of PRP funding allocations. The goal is to allocate lottery funds at the beginning of each fiscal year for regular operating expenses. The remainder of lottery funds and block grant funds will be allocated for one time or short term uses at the end of the fiscal year. Those funds will be available July 1st of the next fiscal year and must be used within that year.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer discussed the need for increased money for conference/travel. He is working with the Foundation to secure an allocation. This might be coordinated through Professional Development. He asked those present if getting a more significant allocation every four (4) years or so would be a better option than having a smaller amount available. The consensus was this would preferred. Rand Green mentioned that travel for professional development and travel for training (updating of certifications, etc.) should be viewed differently.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer discussed topics from a recent CIO conference which included regionalization of funding, including AEBG and some of the CTE initiatives. In addition 25 recommendations from the Taskforce on Workforce were discussed. Strategic planning in regard to these recommendations will take place over the summer.
  • Interim President Gonzales, Interim VP Sourbeer, and Acting VP Stockert visited Arizona State University last week to tour the campus and learn about transfer opportunities for Palomar students.
  • Work on the accreditation recommendations continues and will be finalized over the summer.
  • The Policies & Procedures committee will be addressing the free speech policies and procedures at 9:00 am in Room H-306 on May 13th. BP 3900 & AP 3900 are attached for your review.
  • Dean Kahn introduced the Instructional Showcase Advertising Team, including Chris Norcross, Melinda Finn, Kelly Helming and Abby Algarin. This team has been working on a tool for our website that has been developed to showcase programs and activities occurring at Palomar. Events can be share through various social media and flyers can be automatically generated using this tool as well.
  • Dean Sivert, Debra Avila, and Chris Norcross discussed a tool called the SkillShop Site Calendar that is being developed to be a one-stop destination for students to see what workshops are available to assist them in meeting their educational needs. The calendar is color coded and can be filtered by category and/or campus locations to see what SkillShops are being offered.
  • Chris Norcross demonstrated how to use the new Open Class Search Tool, which has been launched and allows filtering of open classes to find a course needed by the individual student, depending on their educational goal.
  • Dean Sivert mentioned that the look of e-services is changing. She asked that Directors and Department Chairs inform their faculty.
  • Dean Sivert also discussed the progress of the creation of a part-time faculty pool and the steps to be used when utilizing this resource, which she hopes to see up and running this summer. We will continue to streamline the process collectively.
  • Marty Furch and Wendy Nelson discussed work of the Learning Outcomes Council and GE-ILO assessments. They also discussed the job of the SLO facilitator and offered recommendations as to how this position should be structured/filled in the future.
  • Interim Dean Kailikole gave an update on the status of the HSI STEM Proposal. We will not know until June or July if the college will be receiving funding. Interim Dean Kailikole, Interim Dean Blanchard and Dean Kahn and working on another STEM grant. Information will be presented to the Faculty Senate on May 16th.
  • Interim Director Harris explained to faculty that they do not issue medical excuses to students and ask that faculty not send them to the Health Center for this reason.

The meeting adjourned at 2:53 p.m.

IPC (12/9/15)

Instructional Planning Council

The following discussion took place at the December 9, 2015 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

• At the request of Interim VP Sourbeer, the council endorsed a change to the posting (Priority #4) on the Faculty Hiring List from “Physical Science” to “Physical Science/Physics”.

• Interim VP Sourbeer commented on the failed Presidential search, indicating the process would be starting over in the spring. The Board will meet in January to discuss next steps with a goal to have a new President in place by July 1, 2016.

• Interim VP Sourbeer then outlined how he expected the district to move forward in a number of areas this spring including: filling administrative gaps; initiating some level of reorganization; continuing South Center planning; and, reengaging the community in a number of ways. He further discussed the decline in Enrollment, the budgetary consequences, and possible strategies to reverse this trend.

• The PRP process was discussed and Interim VP Sourbeer expressed the need for the PRP workgroup to begin their analysis of the process in early spring and work on recommendations for the future.

• Interim VP Sourbeer announced Interim Dean, CTEE, Paul Kelly will be finishing his service with the District this month and thanked him for his leadership.

Additional information can be found at the Instructional Planning Council Website:

Home

Chairs & Directors Meeting, 10/2/15

Meeting Summary Chairs and Directors Meeting October 2, 2015

Interim Vice President for Instruction Dan Sourbeer called the meeting to order at 1:05 p.m.

  • Eric Briggs, Internship Coordinator at Palomar for this academic year, gave a presentation on the program. The goal of the program is to ready students to facilitate their own internships with companies in the community. He will be on campus Tuesdays and Thursdays in the Career Center to meet with interested parties. Rosie Antonecchia indicated they would like to meet with departments regarding the program as
  • Interim Dean, CTEE, Paul Kelly shared new information regarding the CTE Program Approval Process. Things have changed and more information is required up front in order to receive the verbal go-ahead to create new programs, including labor market information, anticipated enrollment, and anticipated impact on programs in the
  • Interim VP Sourbeer demonstrated where to find the fund request forms to apply for Student Success and Equity Council monies. Dean Shayla Sivert indicated she had issues submitting the form and informed the group that, if that occurs, they can save the form as a pdf and email it to Michelle LaVigueur.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer shared that he has had several complaints regarding instructors leaving and letting students out early from class. He indicated all instructors are required by their contract to remain in class for their published hours, even if students leave early (for example, after taking a test). He requested assistance from Chairs and Directors in documenting and resolving attendance
  • Interim VP Sourbeer will be sending out links to the revised PRP forms with dates when training will be offered, following IPC approval of the forms at the 10/14/15
  • When working on COR reviews or changes, Interim VP Sourbeer advises working in groups comprised of the Department Chair, faculty originator, Dean (if available) and/or a divisional representative from the Curriculum Committee. Changes can be made on the spot and the COR should sail through
  • Fall scheduling is underway for 2016, using the new compressed calendar. Chairs and Directors are asked to work with their Deans.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer indicated divisions/departments should begin working on a 2-year grid for courses this fall. This will assist students with their educational pathway
  • Interim VP Sourbeer indicated there will be a meeting this month at Mt. Carmel High School to talk to the community about the South Center. There may also be an Open House at the South Center in November/December.
  • Faculty hiring was discussed and the priority list, approved by IPC, was distributed. Interim VP Sourbeer indicated the first 22 positions (not including Math 1 & English 1 which were already filled) will be posted first. After the FON is recalculated based on revised enrollment reports, additional positions may be
  • Calvin Onedeer Gavin presented on special programs including EOPS, CalWORKS and Trio, encouraging Chairs and Directors to inform students about these programs. He distributed brochures and information regarding the programs available, indicated the programs are recruiting, and offered to attend departmental meetings by

The meeting adjourned at 2:25 p.m.

Next Meeting November 6, 2015

IPC (09/09/15)

Instructional Planning Council

The following discussion took place at the September 9, 2015 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Discussion of the Faculty Obligation Number (FON) and the Priority Hiring List approved by the IPC Hiring Subcommittee in May
  • Presentation by Mollie Smith on Career Pathways and Adult Education
  • Discussion regarding IPC goals and preparing for the planning process for the next three years

Additional information can be found at the Instructional Planning Council Website:

http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/