Palomar College Learning For Success

Comet Information Exchange (CIE)

Connecting Committees and Councils through Communication

Menu

Tag: Enrollment

IPC (2/08/17)

The following discussion took place at the February 8, 2017 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Interim VP Sourbeer welcomed the group and asked for announcements. There were none.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer asked for comments from constituencies and there were none.
  • MSC Mufson/Ordille to approve the minutes of the November 9, 2016 meeting by unanimous vote with one abstention.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer asked the group for input on the new, dynamic Annual PRP Form. There were no suggested changes. Michael Mufson moved to approve the form, Pete Ordille seconded the motion and it was approved unanimously.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer reviewed the new, dynamic Resource Allocation Form and Kathy Kailikole motioned to move this item to action. The motion was seconded by Michael Mufson and approved unanimously. Glyn Bongolan motioned to approve the form, which was seconded by Pete Ordille and approved unanimously.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer reviewed the Faculty Rationale Form. This form is now in the new, dynamic format, but there were no significant changes to the content. Pete Ordille motioned to move the form to action, which was seconded by Marlene Forney and approved unanimously. The group asked that a minor edit be made to the form instructions and Pete Ordille motioned to approve the form with the edit. Michael Mufson seconded the motion and it was approved unanimously.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer indicated the forms would be vetted through Faculty Senate and all forms will be due on March 17th, but later realized the due date will be March 24th.
  • The comprehensive form, which was already approved by Faculty Senate, will go out on Friday to Department Chairs. The other forms will go out once approved by Faculty Senate.
  • Standing Reports/Updates
    • Accreditation: Interim VP Sourbeer announced that the college received formal notification that we will continue as an accredited body as a result of the follow-up report. Michelle Barton has transitioned into the role of Accreditation Liaison Officer and is working on substantive change reports for the North and South Centers. The College will then begin working on the midterm report, in which the College will address recommendations for institutional effectiveness. The Curriculum Committee has addressed one recommendation by approving placement of SLOS on the CORs and is currently discussing placing the minimum qualifications within the CORs.
    • Enrollment: Interim VP Sourbeer reported that spring enrollment is up 1-2% when considering winter intersession. It is projected we should reach between 18,200-18,300 FTES this year, but the College target is 19,567. We do have a healthy surplus, but Interim VP Sourbeer reinforced the need to continue to grow efficiently and eliminate the deficit as we do so. The Enrollment Task Force will also be meeting to come up with more suggestions to grow enrollment. Another strategy for growth is dual/concurrent enrollment for which Dean Hussain will be taking the lead on the Instruction side, and Glyn Bongolan will take the lead for Student Services.
    • SSEC: The first meeting of the semester will be this Friday, February 10th.
    • LOC: Hope Farquharson and Susan Miller are coordinating SLOs this semester as Wendy Nelson is on sabbatical. The first LOC meeting of the semester will be this Thursday, February 9th. Michael Mufson mentioned that the Education, Knowledge & Culture subgroup, which came out of the Cultural Competency GE Learning Outcome this past summer, is hosting four workshops this semester on Cultural Intelligence. Three of these will be led by Freddy Avalos, the diversity coordinator from CSSM. The first workshop, on how we support undocumented students, will be held this Friday from 11-1 in MD-105. Information on these events can be found on the PD website: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/pd/pd-workshops/.
    • SPC: Interim VP Sourbeer had no report on SPC but did discuss Policy & Procedure actions that will be headed to SPC.
    • CTEE: Suzanne Sebring reported that the work with the Adult Education Block Grant (AEBG) continues to progress through our regional consortium, the Education to Career Network (ETCN). The consortium is applying for WIOA funding, which will increase financial support for Basic Skills and ESL programs. There is a requirement that comes with this additional funding which involves using the CASAS pre/post assessments to measure progress. However, the state has made the decision to align reporting requirements with federal Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) data elements for several initiatives including AEBG and Strong Workforce. This is a positive effort to make reporting and analysis easier in the long run, but it does involve work on the front end. She further reported that Barbara Blanchard is applying for a Pre-Apprenticeship Grant for the college. The goal of this grant is to provide more qualified applicants to the apprenticeship program pools so more will successfully complete the program; to recruit underrepresented populations into Apprenticeship; and to increase the graduation rate from our program to meet current industry needs of the region.  The project will be to develop noncredit pre-apprenticeship programs in conjunction with our three apprentice training sites to prepare students for our 7 (8th program – Intelligent Transportation Systems – is currently going through the curriculum process) apprenticeship programs. If successful, the grant will help to kick-start this project, but the plan is to proceed regardless of the grant outcome.
    • BSI: No report
  •  Announcements/Other
    • None.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Instructional Planning Council Website:

http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/

IPC (11/09/16)

The following discussion took place at the November 9, 2016 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Interim VP Sourbeer welcomed the group and asked for announcements.
    1. Michael Mufson invited all to “Facing our Truth: Six Ten-Minute plays on Trayvon, Race, and Privilege,” as well as to Palomar Jazz Bands, the Chorale and Chamber Singers Concert, and the Winter Dance Festival, all performing in early December.
    2. Interim VP Sourbeer announced that Trustee Halcón and Trustee Hench, along with Nina Deerfield were re-elected/elected to the Palomar College Governing Board, and that both Prop 55 and the 78 bond measure were passed.
  • MSC Fritch/Nelson to approve the minutes of the October 26th, 2016 meeting by unanimous vote.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer suggested the addition of a meeting for the date of November 30th due to the non-instructional day on November 23rd. There were no objections. An announcement will be sent to the Council to tentatively calendar the meeting.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer announced that the Faculty Senate approved the comprehensive PRP form. Michelle Barton is developing data for the form and Interim VP Sourbeer and Wendy Nelson will then begin working on directions and instructional videos for the comprehensive form to train department chairs interested in using the form this year.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer reviewed the program review timeline. All materials should be available by December 5th, training will be provided over the break, and there will be six weeks available to work on the PRP. Documents are due to IPC by March 19th for review by the Council in March and April, with resources allocations completed in May 2017. The Council was instructed to review the timeline, as well as the Annual Update form, and address any comments via email to Interim VP Sourbeer and Suzanne Sebring.
  • Wendy Nelson stated that program set standards have been added to the less comprehensive Annual Report form this year to meet accreditation planning requirements. These standards will only be reflected on the Comprehensive forms in the future.
  • Standing Reports/Updates
    • Accreditation: Barbara Beno is retiring as President of ACCJC in June 2017. Dr. Raul Rodriguez has been appointed chair of ACCJC and its Board of Directors. The sentiment in the state may be to still move away from ACCJC. Michelle Barton will transition into the role of Accreditation Liaison Officer in spring 2017 to start the planning process for next year (Fall 2018). The College will begin working on the midterm report, which requires the College to address recommendations for institutional effectiveness. The Curriculum Committee has addressed one recommendation by approving placement of SLOS on the CORs and is currently discussing pacing the minimum qualifications within the CORs.
    • Enrollment: Interim VP Sourbeer reported that fall enrollment is flat from last year. Intersession classes, as well as concurrent enrollment classes, continue to be added. The Enrollment Task Force will be working to grow spring enrollment.
    • SSEC: No report.
    • LOC: Wendy Nelson reported that LOC is strategically planning how to achieve the identified goals for this year.
    • SPC: Interim VP Sourbeer reported that SPC is currently reviewing goals/objectives and actions related to those objectives.
    • CTEE: Travis Ritt reported that Palomar College is a pilot school for the Top Code Project. The project will be taken to the next Faculty Senate meeting for approval.
    • BSI: The College will need to develop strategies to coordinate BSI, Student Equity, and Student Success funds.
  • Announcements/Other
    • Interim VP Sourbeer informed the Council that the Curriculum Committee is reviewing the appropriateness of requests to schedule combined courses that typically are sequential or require one of the paired courses as a prerequisite for the other course. This topic will also be included on the next IPC agenda.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Instructional Planning Council Website:

http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/

Basic Skills Committee

The following discussion took place at the September 15, 2016 meeting of the Basic Skills Committee:

ACTION ITEMS:

  • 16/17 Academic Year long term goals were approved.
  • Funding Rubric to request BSI funds were approved.
  • Members for Funding Subcommittee were approved (Kevin Kearney, Ruth Barnaba, Benhui Zou, Dana O’Callaghan, Lee Chen).

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • 7th year anniversary of Summer Bridge (98 participants in Summer 2016).
  • 2016-17 FYE cohort consist of 192 students. The Fall 2016 FYE fieldtrip will be to the Getty Villa.
  • Fill rates and retention rates remain strong for all Fall 2016 Learning Communities.
  • Village Mentoring model is being rexamined.
  • TLC San Marcos campus is offering a total of 18 skillshops in Fall 2016.
  • TLC Escondido center is offering a total of 13 skillshops in Fall 2016.
  • 2016-17 Basic Skills Action Plan is suspended (CCCCO).

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Basic Skills Initiative website: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/bsi-hsi/

SPC (4/27/16)

Strategic Planning Council

The following action and discussion took place at the April 27, 2016 meeting of the Strategic Planning Council.

 

DISCUSSION OF THE SOUTH CENTER:

  • Review of the history of the Master Plan 2022
  • Discussion of how the South Center site was chosen and the physical layout
  • Review of enrollment flow from 2000-01 through 2014-15 in the Palomar District
  • Discussion of the academic programs that have the potential to do well at the South Center
  • Review of the drawings of the building floor plans and what may be offered on each of the four floors
  • Review of the Environmental Impact Report (EIR)
  • Review of scenarios run to show potential revenue and expenditures for a small center, medium center and large center.  In all the scenarios, the South Center would have a positive ending balance
  • Review of staffing needs for the South Center
  • Discussion of the potential benefits of establishing a South Center in our District
  • Discussion of the importance of hiring a permanent South Center Director
  • Discussion of ideas and concerns of SPC members for the South Center
  • After discussion, there was consensus with SPC members to move forward with the South Center

Additional information and exhibits can be found at the Strategic Planning Website:

http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/spc/

Chairs & Directors (5/6/16)

Interim Vice President for Instruction Dan Sourbeer called the meeting to order at 1:09 p.m.

  • Interim VP Sourbeer discussed enrollment management. Historically, summer enrollment is an indicator of fall enrollment. At this time, summer enrollment is down, but enrollment continues and the hope is these numbers will increase.
  • New announcements included the hiring of a new CTE Dean who will begin on July 1st, Margie Fritch. In addition, a marketing firm is being selected who will work with faculty and staff to redefine Palomar and make sure the community knows what we have to offer.
  • Strategic Planning Committee (SPC) had a presentation on the South Center and voted unanimously to move forward. The Board will be discussing the South Center at an upcoming Board workshop.
  • A lot of collaboration is occurring between Palomar and its K-12 districts. Discussions and activities including dual enrollment, CSU remediation, cohort groups for summer classes, and noncredit opportunities through the Adult Education Block Grant are underway.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer informed the group that the IPC approved the subcommittee recommended top 20 positions to hire for 2017-18. It is possible that hiring will not occur next year, as our numbers are down and significant hiring is taking place this year.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer indicated that IPC is working on approval of PRP funding allocations. The goal is to allocate lottery funds at the beginning of each fiscal year for regular operating expenses. The remainder of lottery funds and block grant funds will be allocated for one time or short term uses at the end of the fiscal year. Those funds will be available July 1st of the next fiscal year and must be used within that year.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer discussed the need for increased money for conference/travel. He is working with the Foundation to secure an allocation. This might be coordinated through Professional Development. He asked those present if getting a more significant allocation every four (4) years or so would be a better option than having a smaller amount available. The consensus was this would preferred. Rand Green mentioned that travel for professional development and travel for training (updating of certifications, etc.) should be viewed differently.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer discussed topics from a recent CIO conference which included regionalization of funding, including AEBG and some of the CTE initiatives. In addition 25 recommendations from the Taskforce on Workforce were discussed. Strategic planning in regard to these recommendations will take place over the summer.
  • Interim President Gonzales, Interim VP Sourbeer, and Acting VP Stockert visited Arizona State University last week to tour the campus and learn about transfer opportunities for Palomar students.
  • Work on the accreditation recommendations continues and will be finalized over the summer.
  • The Policies & Procedures committee will be addressing the free speech policies and procedures at 9:00 am in Room H-306 on May 13th. BP 3900 & AP 3900 are attached for your review.
  • Dean Kahn introduced the Instructional Showcase Advertising Team, including Chris Norcross, Melinda Finn, Kelly Helming and Abby Algarin. This team has been working on a tool for our website that has been developed to showcase programs and activities occurring at Palomar. Events can be share through various social media and flyers can be automatically generated using this tool as well.
  • Dean Sivert, Debra Avila, and Chris Norcross discussed a tool called the SkillShop Site Calendar that is being developed to be a one-stop destination for students to see what workshops are available to assist them in meeting their educational needs. The calendar is color coded and can be filtered by category and/or campus locations to see what SkillShops are being offered.
  • Chris Norcross demonstrated how to use the new Open Class Search Tool, which has been launched and allows filtering of open classes to find a course needed by the individual student, depending on their educational goal.
  • Dean Sivert mentioned that the look of e-services is changing. She asked that Directors and Department Chairs inform their faculty.
  • Dean Sivert also discussed the progress of the creation of a part-time faculty pool and the steps to be used when utilizing this resource, which she hopes to see up and running this summer. We will continue to streamline the process collectively.
  • Marty Furch and Wendy Nelson discussed work of the Learning Outcomes Council and GE-ILO assessments. They also discussed the job of the SLO facilitator and offered recommendations as to how this position should be structured/filled in the future.
  • Interim Dean Kailikole gave an update on the status of the HSI STEM Proposal. We will not know until June or July if the college will be receiving funding. Interim Dean Kailikole, Interim Dean Blanchard and Dean Kahn and working on another STEM grant. Information will be presented to the Faculty Senate on May 16th.
  • Interim Director Harris explained to faculty that they do not issue medical excuses to students and ask that faculty not send them to the Health Center for this reason.

The meeting adjourned at 2:53 p.m.

IPC (4/13/16)

The following discussion took place at the April 13, 2016 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Interim VP Sourbeer reviewed the Top 20 rankings for 2017-18 faculty hires recommended by the IPC Hiring Subcommittee. This item was moved to action and the list was approved. It will now be taken to Strategic Planning Council for consideration.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer updated the council on the work that has been done on the Accreditation recommendations. An electronic form for contacting constituency representatives to ask questions or provide feedback on council/committee activities was added to the Comet Information Exchange (CIE). Here is a link to access the CIE: https://www.palomar.edu/cie/.
  • Dean Sivert mentioned that SSEC recently approved most of the funding requests that were submitted for review.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer reported out for Wendy Nelson on SLOAC indicating that LOC is discussing ways to assess one of their institutional learning outcomes – Knowledge of Human Culture and the Physical and Natural World – through the PRP process next fall. LOC is in the middle of their GE/ILO assessment of Digital Literacy. So far they have assessed over 20 classes and will continue to assess for the next two weeks.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer gave an update on enrollment, indicating that the fall schedule is being finalized and many strategies to increase enrollment are underway, including increased outreach and renewed relationships with partner districts.
  • Interim Dean Blanchard gave an update report on the Adult Education Block Grant explaining the college is working with the Education to Career Network of North San Diego County, a consortium of service area districts, and has developed a three year plan with the goal of ending duplication of services and working collaboratively to align Adult School curriculum to transition seamlessly to college and/or the workforce.

Additional information can be found at the Instructional Planning Council Website:

http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/

SPC (02/02/16)

Strategic Planning Council

The following action and discussion took place at the February 2, 2016 meeting of the Strategic Planning Council.

ACTION ITEMS/SECOND READING

  • MS (Dryden/Stockert):  Approval to add the Director of Enrollment Services to the Budget Committee.  The motion carried

ACTION ITEMS/FIRST READING

  • New Compressed Academic Calendar 2016-2017
  • Holiday Schedule 2016-2017
  • Winter Holiday Schedule 2016-2017; 2017-18; 2018-2019

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Discussion on the five areas of focus for the semester: stabilization of enrollments; fiscal planning to ensure a balanced budget; filling critical vacancies; strengthening of outreach and retention efforts; and strengthening our messaging to our community
  • Dan Sourbeer reviewed how enrollment is calculated, the current enrollment numbers, and potential enrollment for 2016-17.  He discussed the challenges and opportunities to increase enrollment
  • Michelle Barton presented an enrollment flow study, showing where District students are attending community college in San Diego County, and where Palomar College students come from.
  • Ron Perez reported on the Governor’s proposed budget.
  • Ron Perez reported that Palomar College is in stability funding and lead a discussion on its impact to the District.
  • The Student Union Outdoor Digital Signage SPPF request was approved in the amount of $29,000 to $32,000.  The signage will be purchased after a recommendation on district-wide signage is made by the new architects.
  • ACCJC is looking for additional evaluators; contact the Accreditation Office if interested.

Additional information and exhibits can be found at the Strategic Planning Website:

http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/spc/

IPC (2/10/16)

The following discussion took place at the February 10, 2016 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Michael Mufson reminded the council of the Campus Engagement through the Arts project this semester on the topic of The Refugee Crisis. You can go check it out at Palomar Coffee Talks: http://www2.palomar.edu/performinghearts/. If faculty has any way they would like to participate, please sign up at this site.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer discussed the PRP process with the council asking if they wished to follow the same process that was used last year or make revisions. Following discussion, the council decided to follow the same process.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer discussed enrollment stabilization and related topics including what it means to enter stability funding and how the new compressed calendar will effect FTES calculations. Many ideas for increasing FTES are being investigated including building relationships with K-12 feeder schools and looking into programs such as dual enrollment, community education and increasing Career Technical Education.
  • Wendy Nelson gave an update on SLOAC indicating there is a new reporting process for SLO facilitators. In addition, LOC is assessing digital literacy this semester as one of their institutional learning outcomes.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer indicated a request for proposal (RFP) has or will be going out soon for a marketing firm to assist the district with identity and marketing.
  • Interim Dean for Math and the Natural Health Sciences, Kathryn Kailikole, was introduced to the council members.

Additional information can be found at the Instructional Planning Council Website:

http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/

Chairs & Directors (12/4/15)

Chairs & Directors

Interim Vice President for Instruction Dan Sourbeer called the meeting to order at 1:07 p.m.

• Dean Jack Kahn followed up on the Follett Discover presentation given by Najib Manea at the last meeting. He answered questions indicating 1) current data will be integrated into the new system – you will not have to start over, and 2) there is flexibility with participation and those who do not wish to use Blackboard may continue to handle their adoptions via phone or email. Given this flexibility, the decision was made to move forward with the integration of Follett Discover Adopt & Access.

• Dean Brian Stockert introduced the college’s new Articulation Officer, Benjamin Mudgett. He also indicated a new DRC Director will be starting after the January Board Meeting.

• Interim VP Sourbeer opened a discussion of the failed Presidential search, indicating the process would be starting over in the spring.

• Interim VP Sourbeer then outlined how he expected the district to move forward in a number of areas this spring. Some of the gaps in Administration will be filled. The Governing Board will be asked to approve Dr. Kathleen Kailikole as Interim Dean for MNHS at its January 12th meeting. The District is currently advertising for the Dean, CTEE and may go out for the Dean, AMBCS position later this spring. Mollie Smith has taken a Dean’s position in Long Beach City College. In her absence, Barbara Blanchard will be the lead administrator for the Adult Education Block Grant. The possibility of reorganizing the college will also be considered. VP Sourbeer also addressed the South Center. A new parking study is being conducted as part of the Environmental Impact Report (EIR), and this addition to the EIR will likely delay opening the South Center to spring 2018. The district will likely identify a Director for the South Center relatively soon to coordinate all the details of the opening, and get out into the community to form relationships and determine needs for scheduling purposes.

• Spring Enrollment is currently down. Outreach and marketing strategies are needed to increase enrollment. Relationships with the high schools are being formed as are relationships with the business community in order to strengthen pathways. The benefit of internship relationships was also discussed.

• There is a PRP workgroup that will be active in early spring to look at the process. Interim VP Sourbeer requested that chairs make notes as they are working on filling out the forms this year in order to provide feedback to the workgroup.

• Interim VP Sourbeer updated the group on the progress with the Accreditation recommendations.

• Construction for the STEM Center will begin over the break and will, hopefully, be completed by March.

• The district is expanding its international relationships. Representatives from CSUSM introduced the administration to individuals with ties to universities in China. They are interested in developing “2 + 1” programs (2 years in China, 1 year at Palomar) in Child Development, Kinesiology, and Drafting Technology, with the possibility of expanding to other programs in the future. A similar relationship may also develop with universities in Korea.

• Interim VP Sourbeer discussed the need to publicize the fall 2016 compressed calendar and new schedule in the spring to make sure students are the community are aware of the upcoming changes.

The meeting adjourned at 2:08 p.m.

Next Meeting
February 5, 2016

SSPC (10/28/15)

The following action and discussion took place at the October 28, 2015 meeting of the Student Services Planning Council:

ACTION ITEMS/FIRST READING:

  • Members were asked to attain feedback from their constituent groups regarding the SSPC membership to include an AA representative; this item will move to second reading and approval at the next SSPC meeting on November 4, 2015

ACTION ITEMS/SECOND READING:

  • MS (Stockert/Kretchman):  A motion was made to approve Veronica Aguilera as the SSPC Faculty Member assigned to the Student Success and Equity Council

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Olga Diaz and Michael Large presented the Student Equity Plan and related data
  • Discussion of the SSPC membership will continue at the next SSEC meeting
  • Enrollment Discussions continued regarding retaining students and increasing enrollment
  • Report that Student Services PRP’s are due November 6, 2015
  • Report that SPPF Allocations will be split with 75% of the funding being used for a large institutional project and the remaining 25% for individual applicants to address the strategic plan
  • Report that the Campus Police Committee is looking for a chairperson for this committee
  • Report on staffing updates
  • Report that Palomar College will be joining the M2C3 Consortium

Additional information can be found at the Student Services Planning Council Website:

http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/sspc/