Palomar College Learning For Success

Comet Information Exchange (CIE)

Connecting Committees and Councils through Communication

Menu

Tag: Basic Skills

IPC (2/08/17)

The following discussion took place at the February 8, 2017 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Interim VP Sourbeer welcomed the group and asked for announcements. There were none.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer asked for comments from constituencies and there were none.
  • MSC Mufson/Ordille to approve the minutes of the November 9, 2016 meeting by unanimous vote with one abstention.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer asked the group for input on the new, dynamic Annual PRP Form. There were no suggested changes. Michael Mufson moved to approve the form, Pete Ordille seconded the motion and it was approved unanimously.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer reviewed the new, dynamic Resource Allocation Form and Kathy Kailikole motioned to move this item to action. The motion was seconded by Michael Mufson and approved unanimously. Glyn Bongolan motioned to approve the form, which was seconded by Pete Ordille and approved unanimously.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer reviewed the Faculty Rationale Form. This form is now in the new, dynamic format, but there were no significant changes to the content. Pete Ordille motioned to move the form to action, which was seconded by Marlene Forney and approved unanimously. The group asked that a minor edit be made to the form instructions and Pete Ordille motioned to approve the form with the edit. Michael Mufson seconded the motion and it was approved unanimously.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer indicated the forms would be vetted through Faculty Senate and all forms will be due on March 17th, but later realized the due date will be March 24th.
  • The comprehensive form, which was already approved by Faculty Senate, will go out on Friday to Department Chairs. The other forms will go out once approved by Faculty Senate.
  • Standing Reports/Updates
    • Accreditation: Interim VP Sourbeer announced that the college received formal notification that we will continue as an accredited body as a result of the follow-up report. Michelle Barton has transitioned into the role of Accreditation Liaison Officer and is working on substantive change reports for the North and South Centers. The College will then begin working on the midterm report, in which the College will address recommendations for institutional effectiveness. The Curriculum Committee has addressed one recommendation by approving placement of SLOS on the CORs and is currently discussing placing the minimum qualifications within the CORs.
    • Enrollment: Interim VP Sourbeer reported that spring enrollment is up 1-2% when considering winter intersession. It is projected we should reach between 18,200-18,300 FTES this year, but the College target is 19,567. We do have a healthy surplus, but Interim VP Sourbeer reinforced the need to continue to grow efficiently and eliminate the deficit as we do so. The Enrollment Task Force will also be meeting to come up with more suggestions to grow enrollment. Another strategy for growth is dual/concurrent enrollment for which Dean Hussain will be taking the lead on the Instruction side, and Glyn Bongolan will take the lead for Student Services.
    • SSEC: The first meeting of the semester will be this Friday, February 10th.
    • LOC: Hope Farquharson and Susan Miller are coordinating SLOs this semester as Wendy Nelson is on sabbatical. The first LOC meeting of the semester will be this Thursday, February 9th. Michael Mufson mentioned that the Education, Knowledge & Culture subgroup, which came out of the Cultural Competency GE Learning Outcome this past summer, is hosting four workshops this semester on Cultural Intelligence. Three of these will be led by Freddy Avalos, the diversity coordinator from CSSM. The first workshop, on how we support undocumented students, will be held this Friday from 11-1 in MD-105. Information on these events can be found on the PD website: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/pd/pd-workshops/.
    • SPC: Interim VP Sourbeer had no report on SPC but did discuss Policy & Procedure actions that will be headed to SPC.
    • CTEE: Suzanne Sebring reported that the work with the Adult Education Block Grant (AEBG) continues to progress through our regional consortium, the Education to Career Network (ETCN). The consortium is applying for WIOA funding, which will increase financial support for Basic Skills and ESL programs. There is a requirement that comes with this additional funding which involves using the CASAS pre/post assessments to measure progress. However, the state has made the decision to align reporting requirements with federal Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) data elements for several initiatives including AEBG and Strong Workforce. This is a positive effort to make reporting and analysis easier in the long run, but it does involve work on the front end. She further reported that Barbara Blanchard is applying for a Pre-Apprenticeship Grant for the college. The goal of this grant is to provide more qualified applicants to the apprenticeship program pools so more will successfully complete the program; to recruit underrepresented populations into Apprenticeship; and to increase the graduation rate from our program to meet current industry needs of the region.  The project will be to develop noncredit pre-apprenticeship programs in conjunction with our three apprentice training sites to prepare students for our 7 (8th program – Intelligent Transportation Systems – is currently going through the curriculum process) apprenticeship programs. If successful, the grant will help to kick-start this project, but the plan is to proceed regardless of the grant outcome.
    • BSI: No report
  •  Announcements/Other
    • None.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Instructional Planning Council Website:

http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/

IPC (11/09/16)

The following discussion took place at the November 9, 2016 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Interim VP Sourbeer welcomed the group and asked for announcements.
    1. Michael Mufson invited all to “Facing our Truth: Six Ten-Minute plays on Trayvon, Race, and Privilege,” as well as to Palomar Jazz Bands, the Chorale and Chamber Singers Concert, and the Winter Dance Festival, all performing in early December.
    2. Interim VP Sourbeer announced that Trustee Halcón and Trustee Hench, along with Nina Deerfield were re-elected/elected to the Palomar College Governing Board, and that both Prop 55 and the 78 bond measure were passed.
  • MSC Fritch/Nelson to approve the minutes of the October 26th, 2016 meeting by unanimous vote.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer suggested the addition of a meeting for the date of November 30th due to the non-instructional day on November 23rd. There were no objections. An announcement will be sent to the Council to tentatively calendar the meeting.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer announced that the Faculty Senate approved the comprehensive PRP form. Michelle Barton is developing data for the form and Interim VP Sourbeer and Wendy Nelson will then begin working on directions and instructional videos for the comprehensive form to train department chairs interested in using the form this year.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer reviewed the program review timeline. All materials should be available by December 5th, training will be provided over the break, and there will be six weeks available to work on the PRP. Documents are due to IPC by March 19th for review by the Council in March and April, with resources allocations completed in May 2017. The Council was instructed to review the timeline, as well as the Annual Update form, and address any comments via email to Interim VP Sourbeer and Suzanne Sebring.
  • Wendy Nelson stated that program set standards have been added to the less comprehensive Annual Report form this year to meet accreditation planning requirements. These standards will only be reflected on the Comprehensive forms in the future.
  • Standing Reports/Updates
    • Accreditation: Barbara Beno is retiring as President of ACCJC in June 2017. Dr. Raul Rodriguez has been appointed chair of ACCJC and its Board of Directors. The sentiment in the state may be to still move away from ACCJC. Michelle Barton will transition into the role of Accreditation Liaison Officer in spring 2017 to start the planning process for next year (Fall 2018). The College will begin working on the midterm report, which requires the College to address recommendations for institutional effectiveness. The Curriculum Committee has addressed one recommendation by approving placement of SLOS on the CORs and is currently discussing pacing the minimum qualifications within the CORs.
    • Enrollment: Interim VP Sourbeer reported that fall enrollment is flat from last year. Intersession classes, as well as concurrent enrollment classes, continue to be added. The Enrollment Task Force will be working to grow spring enrollment.
    • SSEC: No report.
    • LOC: Wendy Nelson reported that LOC is strategically planning how to achieve the identified goals for this year.
    • SPC: Interim VP Sourbeer reported that SPC is currently reviewing goals/objectives and actions related to those objectives.
    • CTEE: Travis Ritt reported that Palomar College is a pilot school for the Top Code Project. The project will be taken to the next Faculty Senate meeting for approval.
    • BSI: The College will need to develop strategies to coordinate BSI, Student Equity, and Student Success funds.
  • Announcements/Other
    • Interim VP Sourbeer informed the Council that the Curriculum Committee is reviewing the appropriateness of requests to schedule combined courses that typically are sequential or require one of the paired courses as a prerequisite for the other course. This topic will also be included on the next IPC agenda.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Instructional Planning Council Website:

http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/

Basic Skills Committee

The following discussion took place at the September 15, 2016 meeting of the Basic Skills Committee:

ACTION ITEMS:

  • 16/17 Academic Year long term goals were approved.
  • Funding Rubric to request BSI funds were approved.
  • Members for Funding Subcommittee were approved (Kevin Kearney, Ruth Barnaba, Benhui Zou, Dana O’Callaghan, Lee Chen).

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • 7th year anniversary of Summer Bridge (98 participants in Summer 2016).
  • 2016-17 FYE cohort consist of 192 students. The Fall 2016 FYE fieldtrip will be to the Getty Villa.
  • Fill rates and retention rates remain strong for all Fall 2016 Learning Communities.
  • Village Mentoring model is being rexamined.
  • TLC San Marcos campus is offering a total of 18 skillshops in Fall 2016.
  • TLC Escondido center is offering a total of 13 skillshops in Fall 2016.
  • 2016-17 Basic Skills Action Plan is suspended (CCCCO).

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Basic Skills Initiative website: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/bsi-hsi/

Basic Skills Committee

Committee/Council Name: BASIC SKILLS COMMITTEE

Meeting Date: 04/21/2016

The following action and discussion took place at the April 21, 2016 meeting of the Basic Skills Committee:

 INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Report on how Basic Skills courses are coded.
  • Report on the direction of Learning Communities in the future.  More research needs to be done to create a successful program.
  • The Committee approved a 7-member subcommittee to review the Funding Requests: 5 committee members along with the two co-chairs.  The co-chairs will vote in case of a tie only.
  • Report on Summer Bridge: Write On is closed, Math Jam is closed, ESL Jam at Escondido has healthy enrollment, ESL Jam at San Marcos has increasing enrollment.
  • Report on FYE 2016 enrollment; 110 applications received so far.
  • The Committee had come up with six (6) long-term goals for the Basic Skills Action Plan; only five are allowed.  Two goals were combined into one.  The Committee will vote on the goals at the first meeting of the fall 2016 semester.
  • The Committee agreed to use the funding evaluation rubric on a trial basis for the fall 2016 submissions, and adjust the rubric based on that experience.

Link to full meeting minutes: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/bsi-hsi/agendaminutes/

Basic Skills Committee

Committee/Council Name: BASIC SKILLS COMMITTEE

Meeting Date: 03/17/2016

The following action and discussion took place at the March 17, 2016 meeting of the Basic Skills Committee:

 INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Report on a CAP (California Acceleration Project) training opportunity.
  • Update on Summer Bridge enrollment for summer 2016.
  • The Committee approved all five Basic Skills Funding Requests.
  • The Committee reviewed the funding requests with the proposed rubric; a trial run to improve the rubric.
  • The Committee discussed a funding evaluation process.
  • The new meeting time for the 2016-2017 year was brought to the attention of the Committee.

 

Link to full meeting minutes: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/bsi-hsi/agendaminutes/

BSI 01/21/2016

Committee/Council Name: BASIC SKILLS COMMITTEE

Meeting Date: 01/21/2016

The following action and discussion took place at the January 21, 2016 meeting of the Basic Skills Committee:

 INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Report that the Basic Skills Funding Request Form is now live on our website.
  • Report on expanding Summer Bridge to the Escondido Center for summer 2016.  ESL Jam will debut at Escondido in summer 2016.
  • FYE 2015 had 87% of students returning from fall to spring semester.
  • The Committee reviewed the Basic Skills Action Plan’s Goals.

Link to full meeting minutes: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/bsi-hsi/agendaminutes/

BSI 11/19/2015

Committee/Council Name: BASIC SKILLS COMMITTEE

Meeting Date: 11/19/2015

The following action and discussion took place at the November 19, 2015 meeting of the Basic Skills Committee:

 INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • The Committee went over the Basic Skills Initiative Funding Request Form and approved it.
  • The Committee reviewed the Six Factors of Student Success Activity that was completed at the October meeting.
  • Report on the Basic Skills Initiative website: need to deactive the old site, post agendas and minutes on the new site, along with the Funding Request Form.
  • The Committee discussed possible workshops.

Link to full meeting minutes: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/bsi-hsi/agendaminutes/

BSI 10/15/2015

Committee/Council Name: BASIC SKILLS COMMITTEE

Meeting Date: 10/15/2015

The following action and discussion took place at the October 15, 2015 meeting of the Basic Skills Committee:

 INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • The Committee decided to start reviewing the Basic Skills Action Plan at the January 2016 meeting to allow for better planning.
  • The Committee reviewed and made suggestions to the Basic Skills Initiative Funding Form.
  • The Committee went over the Six Factors of Student Success and how they apply to Palomar College.

Link to full meeting minutes: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/bsi-hsi/agendaminutes/

BSI (09/17/15)

Committee/Council Name: BASIC SKILLS COMMITTEE

Meeting Date: 9/17/2015

The following action and discussion took place at the September 17, 2015 meeting of the Basic Skills Committee:

ACTION/SECOND READING:

  • MS: Approval of August 2015 Minutes. The motion carried.
  • Shayla Sivert brought back the Basic Skills Action Plan to the committee.  Discussion on the 5 goals of the Plan, on the questions regarding the data reporting method requested by the Chancellor’s Office and how other colleges also reported issues with it, the definition of Basic Skills courses as put forth by the Chancellor’s Office.  MS: approval of the Basic Skills Action Plan.

 INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Update on first-year seminars.
  • Report on Learning Communities for Fall 2015; had a 95.5% fill rate (237/248 seats).  Learning Communities filled early during the enrollment period and have stayed full.  For Spring 2016 there are currently seven LC links, possibly an 8th with Child Development and ESL to be offered in the Escondido Center.
  • Report on Village Mentoring: 26 students applied, 20 mentees currently matched with mentors.
  • Report on Summer Bridge 2015.  Working on finalizing rooms.  Dates: Math Jam: June 20 – July 7, ESL Jam: July 11 – Aug. 4.
  • Report on First-Year Experience 2015.  Currently 199 active students.
  • Report on TLC San Marcos and Escondido.  San Marcos TLC has had 942 unique visitors so far with a total of 3,439 visits.

Link to full meeting minutes: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/bsi-hsi/agendaminutes/

Basic Skills Committee: August 20, 2015

Committee/Council Name: BASIC SKILLS COMMITTEE

Meeting Date: 8/20/2015

The following action and discussion took place at the August 20, 2015 meeting of the Basic Skills Committee:

ACTION/SECOND READING:

  • MS: Approval of April 2015 Minutes. The motion carried.

 INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Report from Shayla Sivert on the Basic Skills Action Plan timeline.  The committee will be sent a draft and it will be voted on at the September Basic Skills meeting.
  • Kelly Falcone announced ALL Conference, to be held at Palomar College on October 24 and requested help with promoting the event.
  • Report on Summer Bridge 2015.
  • Report on First-Year Experience 2015.
  • Report on TLC San Marcos and Escondido.
  • Report on on-line tutoring by Erin Feld.
  • Brief discussion on first-year experience seminars.
  • Jorge Villalobos attended the Welcome Days at Mira Costa College and reported on this event.
  • Cindy Anfinson and Shayla Sivert attended the Teaching Men of Color online course.

Link to full meeting minutes: coming soon