Palomar College Learning For Success

Comet Information Exchange (CIE)

Connecting Committees and Councils through Communication

Menu

Tag: AEBG 104

Chairs & Directors (5/6/16)

Interim Vice President for Instruction Dan Sourbeer called the meeting to order at 1:09 p.m.

  • Interim VP Sourbeer discussed enrollment management. Historically, summer enrollment is an indicator of fall enrollment. At this time, summer enrollment is down, but enrollment continues and the hope is these numbers will increase.
  • New announcements included the hiring of a new CTE Dean who will begin on July 1st, Margie Fritch. In addition, a marketing firm is being selected who will work with faculty and staff to redefine Palomar and make sure the community knows what we have to offer.
  • Strategic Planning Committee (SPC) had a presentation on the South Center and voted unanimously to move forward. The Board will be discussing the South Center at an upcoming Board workshop.
  • A lot of collaboration is occurring between Palomar and its K-12 districts. Discussions and activities including dual enrollment, CSU remediation, cohort groups for summer classes, and noncredit opportunities through the Adult Education Block Grant are underway.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer informed the group that the IPC approved the subcommittee recommended top 20 positions to hire for 2017-18. It is possible that hiring will not occur next year, as our numbers are down and significant hiring is taking place this year.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer indicated that IPC is working on approval of PRP funding allocations. The goal is to allocate lottery funds at the beginning of each fiscal year for regular operating expenses. The remainder of lottery funds and block grant funds will be allocated for one time or short term uses at the end of the fiscal year. Those funds will be available July 1st of the next fiscal year and must be used within that year.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer discussed the need for increased money for conference/travel. He is working with the Foundation to secure an allocation. This might be coordinated through Professional Development. He asked those present if getting a more significant allocation every four (4) years or so would be a better option than having a smaller amount available. The consensus was this would preferred. Rand Green mentioned that travel for professional development and travel for training (updating of certifications, etc.) should be viewed differently.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer discussed topics from a recent CIO conference which included regionalization of funding, including AEBG and some of the CTE initiatives. In addition 25 recommendations from the Taskforce on Workforce were discussed. Strategic planning in regard to these recommendations will take place over the summer.
  • Interim President Gonzales, Interim VP Sourbeer, and Acting VP Stockert visited Arizona State University last week to tour the campus and learn about transfer opportunities for Palomar students.
  • Work on the accreditation recommendations continues and will be finalized over the summer.
  • The Policies & Procedures committee will be addressing the free speech policies and procedures at 9:00 am in Room H-306 on May 13th. BP 3900 & AP 3900 are attached for your review.
  • Dean Kahn introduced the Instructional Showcase Advertising Team, including Chris Norcross, Melinda Finn, Kelly Helming and Abby Algarin. This team has been working on a tool for our website that has been developed to showcase programs and activities occurring at Palomar. Events can be share through various social media and flyers can be automatically generated using this tool as well.
  • Dean Sivert, Debra Avila, and Chris Norcross discussed a tool called the SkillShop Site Calendar that is being developed to be a one-stop destination for students to see what workshops are available to assist them in meeting their educational needs. The calendar is color coded and can be filtered by category and/or campus locations to see what SkillShops are being offered.
  • Chris Norcross demonstrated how to use the new Open Class Search Tool, which has been launched and allows filtering of open classes to find a course needed by the individual student, depending on their educational goal.
  • Dean Sivert mentioned that the look of e-services is changing. She asked that Directors and Department Chairs inform their faculty.
  • Dean Sivert also discussed the progress of the creation of a part-time faculty pool and the steps to be used when utilizing this resource, which she hopes to see up and running this summer. We will continue to streamline the process collectively.
  • Marty Furch and Wendy Nelson discussed work of the Learning Outcomes Council and GE-ILO assessments. They also discussed the job of the SLO facilitator and offered recommendations as to how this position should be structured/filled in the future.
  • Interim Dean Kailikole gave an update on the status of the HSI STEM Proposal. We will not know until June or July if the college will be receiving funding. Interim Dean Kailikole, Interim Dean Blanchard and Dean Kahn and working on another STEM grant. Information will be presented to the Faculty Senate on May 16th.
  • Interim Director Harris explained to faculty that they do not issue medical excuses to students and ask that faculty not send them to the Health Center for this reason.

The meeting adjourned at 2:53 p.m.

Chairs & Directors (12/4/15)

Chairs & Directors

Interim Vice President for Instruction Dan Sourbeer called the meeting to order at 1:07 p.m.

• Dean Jack Kahn followed up on the Follett Discover presentation given by Najib Manea at the last meeting. He answered questions indicating 1) current data will be integrated into the new system – you will not have to start over, and 2) there is flexibility with participation and those who do not wish to use Blackboard may continue to handle their adoptions via phone or email. Given this flexibility, the decision was made to move forward with the integration of Follett Discover Adopt & Access.

• Dean Brian Stockert introduced the college’s new Articulation Officer, Benjamin Mudgett. He also indicated a new DRC Director will be starting after the January Board Meeting.

• Interim VP Sourbeer opened a discussion of the failed Presidential search, indicating the process would be starting over in the spring.

• Interim VP Sourbeer then outlined how he expected the district to move forward in a number of areas this spring. Some of the gaps in Administration will be filled. The Governing Board will be asked to approve Dr. Kathleen Kailikole as Interim Dean for MNHS at its January 12th meeting. The District is currently advertising for the Dean, CTEE and may go out for the Dean, AMBCS position later this spring. Mollie Smith has taken a Dean’s position in Long Beach City College. In her absence, Barbara Blanchard will be the lead administrator for the Adult Education Block Grant. The possibility of reorganizing the college will also be considered. VP Sourbeer also addressed the South Center. A new parking study is being conducted as part of the Environmental Impact Report (EIR), and this addition to the EIR will likely delay opening the South Center to spring 2018. The district will likely identify a Director for the South Center relatively soon to coordinate all the details of the opening, and get out into the community to form relationships and determine needs for scheduling purposes.

• Spring Enrollment is currently down. Outreach and marketing strategies are needed to increase enrollment. Relationships with the high schools are being formed as are relationships with the business community in order to strengthen pathways. The benefit of internship relationships was also discussed.

• There is a PRP workgroup that will be active in early spring to look at the process. Interim VP Sourbeer requested that chairs make notes as they are working on filling out the forms this year in order to provide feedback to the workgroup.

• Interim VP Sourbeer updated the group on the progress with the Accreditation recommendations.

• Construction for the STEM Center will begin over the break and will, hopefully, be completed by March.

• The district is expanding its international relationships. Representatives from CSUSM introduced the administration to individuals with ties to universities in China. They are interested in developing “2 + 1” programs (2 years in China, 1 year at Palomar) in Child Development, Kinesiology, and Drafting Technology, with the possibility of expanding to other programs in the future. A similar relationship may also develop with universities in Korea.

• Interim VP Sourbeer discussed the need to publicize the fall 2016 compressed calendar and new schedule in the spring to make sure students are the community are aware of the upcoming changes.

The meeting adjourned at 2:08 p.m.

Next Meeting
February 5, 2016

IPC (10/28/15)

The following discussion took place at the October 28, 2015 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Minutes from the September 23rd and October 14th meeting were approved.
  • Dean Kahn reviewed the SWOT Analysis results and the IPC goals established through this process. Dean Sivert proposed the addition of one more goal. The council approved the goals with the addition by Dean Sivert.
  • Dean Kahn lead a discussion regarding Enrollment as the council reviewed the summary results of the Enrollment SWOT Analysis and the Top 10 Programs to Promote exercises conducted at the last meeting. The members discussed the possibility of having a team of faculty work with Interim VP Sourbeer to help address some of the Enrollment issues.
  • Dean Kahn announced there would be a South Center Community Forum tonight, October 28th, at Mount Carmel High School Gymnasium, as part of the EIR process.
  • Mollie Smith updated the council on the Adult Education Block Grant (AEBG 104) and Career Pathways.
  • Dean Sivert demonstrated how to access the Comet Information Exchange (CIE).  This is a web-based blog which has been designed to be a one-stop shop for Palomar information. Rather than receiving email highlights from all the different meetings, all highlights would be posted on this website, with links to the complete minutes. An additional benefit of this format is that “TAGS” are located on the left side of the home screen. The larger the word, the more posts regarding that subject. You can click on the tag and it will bring up all the related conversations. The site can be accessed at http://www.palomar.edu/cie. Dean Sivert encouraged the council to get the word out regarding this resource.
  • The Council would like to propose more interconnection between councils. This would be the idea of the CIE, but in a face-to-face format.

Additional information can be found at the Instructional Planning Council Website:

http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/.

IPC (10/14/15)

Instructional Planning Council

The following discussion took place at the October 14, 2015 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • PRP forms, process and timeline were discussed and approved. Complete PRP forms will be due to Deans by November 19th and to the VPI prior to the semester break.
  • Discussion regarding the need for a workgroup to evaluate/edit PRP forms/process for 2016-19 – Wendy Nelson and Michael Mufson volunteered to be part of this workgroup at the last meeting. Mark Bealo and Michelle Barton will also join this group. Interim VP Sourbeer will poll department chairs to see if anyone else is interested in participating.
  • Discussion regarding Enrollment and breakout session into small groups to complete SWOT analysis to assist in determining possible strategies to increase enrollment/retention
  • Interim VP Sourbeer reported that Nursing and Fire Academy accreditation reaffirmations are in progress.
  • Michelle Barton reported that SPC is planning to use 75% of SPPF funds toward one or two large strategic goals and allocating 25% of SPPF funds toward smaller projects.
  • Mollie Smith updated the council on the Adult Education Block Grant (AEBG 104) and Career Pathways.

Additional information can be found at the Instructional Planning Council Website:

http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/

IPC (09/23/15)

 Instructional Planning Council

The following discussion took place at the September 23, 2015 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Presentation from Faculty Senate regarding Faculty Hiring Procedures (FHP) including recommendations for edits to the document
  • Mollie Smith was appointed the IPC representative for the Accreditation Steering Committee
  • Discussion regarding the 2015-16 PRP Forms, Process and Timelines – Updated forms will be sent electronically as soon as they are finalized
  • Discussion regarding the need for a workgroup to evaluate/edit PRP forms/process for 2016-19 – Wendy Nelson and Michael Mufson volunteered to be part of this workgroup
  • Discussion regarding IPC goals and breakout session into small groups to complete SWOT analysis to assist in determining goals
  • IPC goals for 2015-16 include: a) developing specific strategies to enhance hiring of diverse faculty; b) review faculty prioritization; c) form workgroup to improve 3 year program review and planning cycle documents/process; and d) improve communication/reporting out strategies
  • Interim VP Sourbeer reported that the Accreditation Leadership Team is making progress toward addressing recommendations
  • Interim VP Sourbeer encouraged council members to review the Student Success and Support Program (SSSP) Plan and Student Equity Plan and request funds for appropriate projects. Plans and the funding request form can be found on the SSEC website: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ssec/
  • Michelle Barton reported that SPC has been discussing updating institutional plans. They would like IPC and SSPC to guide the dialog and conversations necessary to update these plans along with an SPC task force.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer mentioned that the District is beginning to plan for offerings/schedule/staffing of the South Center.
  • Mollie Smith discussed the Adult Education Block Grant (AEBG 104). Palomar is in a consortium with seven (7) high school districts to offer adult education in those communities. There will be money to build pathways to Palomar.

Additional information can be found at the Instructional Planning Council Website:

http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/