Palomar College Learning For Success

Comet Information Exchange (CIE)

Connecting Committees and Councils through Communication

Menu

Tag: accreditation

IPC (11/8/17)

The following discussion and action took place at the November 8, 2017 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

Vice President for Instruction, Jack S. Kahn, Ph.D. called the meeting to order at 2:35 p.m.

  • Announcements
    • Mark Bealo reported that members of the National Science Foundation grant team attended the Advanced Technological Education (ATE) conference in Washington D.C. on October 23 – 25, 2017. He and one other member also had a booth at the Commercial UAV Expo conference in Las Vegas on October 24 – 26, 2017.
    • Jim Odom, Manager, Educational Television is the new AA representative on IPC.
  • Comments from Constituencies
    • Barb Kelber reported that she appreciated the opportunity to discuss class scheduling at the Chairs & Directors meeting on November 3, 2017.
  • Second Reading – Career Education Committee (Formerly Perkins Planning and Advisory Committee) (IV.A.3) – VP Kahn reported that the intent of this committee is to tie the Perkins and Strong Workforce considerations to IPC for the purpose of providing feedback. The group was approved with amendments.
    • Motion to approve the Career Education Committee Governance Structure Group Request:MSC – (Kelber/Barton)
    • Motion to amend the Career Education Committee Governance Structure Group Request:  MSC – (Kelber/Bongolan)
  • South Education Center Substantive Change Accreditation Draft – Michelle Barton reported that the draft is currently going through the governance process. She advised that ACCJC has streamlined their process with the report now being more compact and concise.  The purpose of the report is for ACCJC to ensure our processes are in place for the South Education center to be successful.
  • Guided Pathways Self-Assessment (I.B.4) – VP Kahn reported that he has been working with VP Gonzales, Glyn Bongolan, Patrick O’Brien, Travis Ritt, Kelly Falcone, Wendy Nelson, Dean Kailikole, Rachel Miller, Michelle Barton, and Ben Mudgett, to complete the Guided Pathways Self-Assessment. The purpose of the self-assessment is to rate ourselves as a college and then the group will work to develop a Guided Pathway plan which is due in March 2018.
  • Accreditation Training (I.C.12) – VP Kahn reported that there is ACCJC online training available here: https://palomar.csod.com/LMS/LoDetails/DetailsLo.aspx?loId=6aa456a1-2ce7-4707-a63b-0ae6bea81de9&back=%2fLMS%2fBrowseTraining%2fBrowseTraining.aspx%3ftab_page_id%3d-6#t=1 He asked that the Council complete the training prior to our first Council meeting on January 24, 2018.
  • Waitlists Workgroup – Update –There was discussion on continuing to roll the waitlist until midnight the night before the classes start or moving it up to stop rolling two days before classes start. A recommendation was made for Enrollment Services to execute the batch process until two days before classes start instead of five days before classes start.  All were in favor.

HRSPC

HRSPC (9/27/2017)

The following discussion took place at the September 27, 2017 meeting of the Human Resource Services Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • VPHRS Search

A new VPHRS has been selected and is expected to begin working in mid-October after the October Governing Board meeting.

  • Accreditation Update

Planning Council Involvement:

The Accreditation Steering Committee (ASC) has been meeting and discussing different ways to include Planning Councils in the accreditation process.  One idea is the ASC could delegate work to the Planning Councils so they’re more involved in the process.

Recommendations Relevant to HRS:

  • Improve and expand Title IX, VAWA/SaVE Training Programs for all District employees.
  • Develop a Professional Development Plan.

 

  •  Reclassification Activities Update:

The classification study for the Classified unit (350 individual positions) began in 2013, was completed, and then implemented in early 2017.  There were 25 classified employees who submitted requests for reclassification per the process outlined in Article 10 of the Agreement between the District and the CCE.  There is another smaller group of 12 employees whose positions, which were reevaluated during the classification study, are being reviewed for possible reclassification under Article 10.  Reward Strategy Group (RSG) will soon be conducting a full scale study for all AA and CAST positions, including Deans & VP’s.

  • New Semester EEO Reminders:

In accordance with Title 5 regulations, information regarding EEO policies and procedures is provided to all employees via email each semester.  HR handles all complaints of unlawful discrimination, including sexual harassment and sexual violence.  Palomar employees are responsible for reporting any complaints or allegations to the HR office.  Basic information and instructions on how to file a complaint are available by following the link on the front page of the Palomar College website titled, Title IX and the Campus SaVE Act.

 Other

Cornerstone:

New learning management software, Cornerstone, was rolled out for professional development at the beginning of the Fall semester; HR is considering utilizing the software for the purpose of training/onboarding new faculty and staff.

Open Enrollment:

In October 2017, all employees will have the opportunity to make changes to their health benefits and flexible spending accounts.  All changes will become effective January 1st, 2018.

North & South Centers:

Staffing needs are being discussed for the new North Center in Fallbrook and South Center in Rancho Bernardo.  These new Centers, expected to open Summer 2018, will generate FTES for the District.

          

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Human Resource Services Planning Council Website:

http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/hrspc/

IPC (8/23/17)

The following discussion and action took place at the August 23, 2017 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

Vice President for Instruction, Jack S. Kahn, Ph.D. called the meeting to order at 2:36 p.m.

  • Welcome and Introductions – VP Kahn welcomed IPC to the fall 2017 semester and introductions were made.  Nichol Roe, Associate Dean of Workforce and Extended Education reported that the programs in her area include: Occupational and Non-Credit, Apprenticeship (credit and non-credit) and Not-for-Credit (i.e.: Venture).  Suzanne Sebring, Director of Occupational & Non Credit reported that she has been working with the Adult Education Block Grant (AEBG), faculty and department chairs of Math, English, Reading and ESL to implement pre/post testing.  She will be attending The New World of Noncredit with Melinda Carrillo, Shauna Moriarty, Wendy Nelson, Nichol Roe and Shayla Sivert on October 6 – 7, 2017 at Four Points by Sheraton in San Diego.
  • Comments from Constituencies – VP Kahn reinforced that we need to ensure that information is being disseminated out to our constituent groups from our Council meetings and feedback is brought back to the Council meetings.
  • Approve minutes – May 10, 2017  MSC – (Barton/Snow): The minutes for May 10, 2017 were approved and accepted into the record with abstentions from Mark Bealo, Sarah DeSimone, Nichol Roe and Suzanne Sebring.
  • IPC Roles & Responsibilities – Governance Structure & Membership – VP Kahn reviewed the roles and responsibilities of IPC include the following:
    • Program review and Planning (Fall)
    • Resource Allocation (Spring)
    • Prioritize faculty hiring (Spring)
  • New Structures – CSIT & MNHS – VP Kahn reported that there was a temporary move of Computer Science (CSIT) to Math and the Natural and Health Sciences (MNHS) and it has become a permanent move.
  • Strong Workforce & Perkins Membership – Susan Garland reported that there is Perkins Planning and Advisory committee in place. They are looking into combining this committee and the Strong Workforce committee into one and possibly inviting others from Facilities, Fiscal Services, IRP, IS and Student Services to join.
  • Accreditation – VP Kahn reported that our Accreditation department has challenges retrieving data from various Councils at year end. A recommendation was made at a recent retreat to site Accreditation information as we are going throughout the year on agendas/minutes.  Marti Snyder will be meeting with the recorders of the Councils in September to begin this process.
  • Board Policies and Administrative Procedures – Chapter 4: Instructional Services – VP Kahn reported Instruction will be reviewing their BP/APs this year Instruction’s year to go through BP/AP’s. We will be vetting them through the system to be completed by August 2018.  (I.B.7) (IV.A.3)
  • IPC PRP Forms – VP Kahn reported that we had 29 areas complete a comprehensive review for FY 2016-17. We will need to identify who will be completing the comprehensive PRPs for FY 2017-18.  (I.B.5) (I.B.9)
  • Certificates Workgroup – Gainful Employment (Loucks & group) – Richard Loucks reported we are federally required to keep our Gainful Employment website up to date: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/gainfulemployment/ VP Kahn proposed that we create a Workgroup to include Richard, IRP and others to audit all of our certificates and bring proposals forward to IPC.  Glyn Bongolan and Michael Bealo offered to join the Workgroup.  (I.A.3)
  • Standing Reports
    • Accreditation – Michelle Barton reported that ASC will be meeting on Friday, August 25, 2017 and they are working on the sub-change for the North and South centers.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Student Services Planning Council website:    http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/

SPC (04-18-2017)

The following action and discussion took place at the April 18, 2017 Strategic Planning Council meeting:

 ACTION ITEMS/SECOND READING

  • The Staffing Plan 2022 Development Task Force approved as

 

 INFORMATION/DISCUSSION

  • The remaining activities for 2016-2017 for SPC was discussed
  • The Institutional Effectiveness Executive Summary was reviewed and discussed
  • An update on the Palomar Promise was provided
  • An enrollment update was provided
  • The 2017-2018 Budget Planning Assumptions was discussed
  • There was discussion on if there was savings from moving to a new health insurance provider
  • Progress of the North and South Centers substantive change reports was given
  • Two white papers from ACCJC, Institution and Team Guidance for ACCJC Standard 1.B.3 and 1.B.6 were distributed and discussed
  • It was reported that the Staffing Plan and a timeline is being written for the Centers
  • It was reported that SSPC is working on a plan to provide information to homeless students of available resources

 

 

IPC (2/08/17)

The following discussion took place at the February 8, 2017 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Interim VP Sourbeer welcomed the group and asked for announcements. There were none.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer asked for comments from constituencies and there were none.
  • MSC Mufson/Ordille to approve the minutes of the November 9, 2016 meeting by unanimous vote with one abstention.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer asked the group for input on the new, dynamic Annual PRP Form. There were no suggested changes. Michael Mufson moved to approve the form, Pete Ordille seconded the motion and it was approved unanimously.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer reviewed the new, dynamic Resource Allocation Form and Kathy Kailikole motioned to move this item to action. The motion was seconded by Michael Mufson and approved unanimously. Glyn Bongolan motioned to approve the form, which was seconded by Pete Ordille and approved unanimously.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer reviewed the Faculty Rationale Form. This form is now in the new, dynamic format, but there were no significant changes to the content. Pete Ordille motioned to move the form to action, which was seconded by Marlene Forney and approved unanimously. The group asked that a minor edit be made to the form instructions and Pete Ordille motioned to approve the form with the edit. Michael Mufson seconded the motion and it was approved unanimously.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer indicated the forms would be vetted through Faculty Senate and all forms will be due on March 17th, but later realized the due date will be March 24th.
  • The comprehensive form, which was already approved by Faculty Senate, will go out on Friday to Department Chairs. The other forms will go out once approved by Faculty Senate.
  • Standing Reports/Updates
    • Accreditation: Interim VP Sourbeer announced that the college received formal notification that we will continue as an accredited body as a result of the follow-up report. Michelle Barton has transitioned into the role of Accreditation Liaison Officer and is working on substantive change reports for the North and South Centers. The College will then begin working on the midterm report, in which the College will address recommendations for institutional effectiveness. The Curriculum Committee has addressed one recommendation by approving placement of SLOS on the CORs and is currently discussing placing the minimum qualifications within the CORs.
    • Enrollment: Interim VP Sourbeer reported that spring enrollment is up 1-2% when considering winter intersession. It is projected we should reach between 18,200-18,300 FTES this year, but the College target is 19,567. We do have a healthy surplus, but Interim VP Sourbeer reinforced the need to continue to grow efficiently and eliminate the deficit as we do so. The Enrollment Task Force will also be meeting to come up with more suggestions to grow enrollment. Another strategy for growth is dual/concurrent enrollment for which Dean Hussain will be taking the lead on the Instruction side, and Glyn Bongolan will take the lead for Student Services.
    • SSEC: The first meeting of the semester will be this Friday, February 10th.
    • LOC: Hope Farquharson and Susan Miller are coordinating SLOs this semester as Wendy Nelson is on sabbatical. The first LOC meeting of the semester will be this Thursday, February 9th. Michael Mufson mentioned that the Education, Knowledge & Culture subgroup, which came out of the Cultural Competency GE Learning Outcome this past summer, is hosting four workshops this semester on Cultural Intelligence. Three of these will be led by Freddy Avalos, the diversity coordinator from CSSM. The first workshop, on how we support undocumented students, will be held this Friday from 11-1 in MD-105. Information on these events can be found on the PD website: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/pd/pd-workshops/.
    • SPC: Interim VP Sourbeer had no report on SPC but did discuss Policy & Procedure actions that will be headed to SPC.
    • CTEE: Suzanne Sebring reported that the work with the Adult Education Block Grant (AEBG) continues to progress through our regional consortium, the Education to Career Network (ETCN). The consortium is applying for WIOA funding, which will increase financial support for Basic Skills and ESL programs. There is a requirement that comes with this additional funding which involves using the CASAS pre/post assessments to measure progress. However, the state has made the decision to align reporting requirements with federal Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) data elements for several initiatives including AEBG and Strong Workforce. This is a positive effort to make reporting and analysis easier in the long run, but it does involve work on the front end. She further reported that Barbara Blanchard is applying for a Pre-Apprenticeship Grant for the college. The goal of this grant is to provide more qualified applicants to the apprenticeship program pools so more will successfully complete the program; to recruit underrepresented populations into Apprenticeship; and to increase the graduation rate from our program to meet current industry needs of the region.  The project will be to develop noncredit pre-apprenticeship programs in conjunction with our three apprentice training sites to prepare students for our 7 (8th program – Intelligent Transportation Systems – is currently going through the curriculum process) apprenticeship programs. If successful, the grant will help to kick-start this project, but the plan is to proceed regardless of the grant outcome.
    • BSI: No report
  •  Announcements/Other
    • None.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Instructional Planning Council Website:

http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/

IPC (11/09/16)

The following discussion took place at the November 9, 2016 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Interim VP Sourbeer welcomed the group and asked for announcements.
    1. Michael Mufson invited all to “Facing our Truth: Six Ten-Minute plays on Trayvon, Race, and Privilege,” as well as to Palomar Jazz Bands, the Chorale and Chamber Singers Concert, and the Winter Dance Festival, all performing in early December.
    2. Interim VP Sourbeer announced that Trustee Halcón and Trustee Hench, along with Nina Deerfield were re-elected/elected to the Palomar College Governing Board, and that both Prop 55 and the 78 bond measure were passed.
  • MSC Fritch/Nelson to approve the minutes of the October 26th, 2016 meeting by unanimous vote.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer suggested the addition of a meeting for the date of November 30th due to the non-instructional day on November 23rd. There were no objections. An announcement will be sent to the Council to tentatively calendar the meeting.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer announced that the Faculty Senate approved the comprehensive PRP form. Michelle Barton is developing data for the form and Interim VP Sourbeer and Wendy Nelson will then begin working on directions and instructional videos for the comprehensive form to train department chairs interested in using the form this year.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer reviewed the program review timeline. All materials should be available by December 5th, training will be provided over the break, and there will be six weeks available to work on the PRP. Documents are due to IPC by March 19th for review by the Council in March and April, with resources allocations completed in May 2017. The Council was instructed to review the timeline, as well as the Annual Update form, and address any comments via email to Interim VP Sourbeer and Suzanne Sebring.
  • Wendy Nelson stated that program set standards have been added to the less comprehensive Annual Report form this year to meet accreditation planning requirements. These standards will only be reflected on the Comprehensive forms in the future.
  • Standing Reports/Updates
    • Accreditation: Barbara Beno is retiring as President of ACCJC in June 2017. Dr. Raul Rodriguez has been appointed chair of ACCJC and its Board of Directors. The sentiment in the state may be to still move away from ACCJC. Michelle Barton will transition into the role of Accreditation Liaison Officer in spring 2017 to start the planning process for next year (Fall 2018). The College will begin working on the midterm report, which requires the College to address recommendations for institutional effectiveness. The Curriculum Committee has addressed one recommendation by approving placement of SLOS on the CORs and is currently discussing pacing the minimum qualifications within the CORs.
    • Enrollment: Interim VP Sourbeer reported that fall enrollment is flat from last year. Intersession classes, as well as concurrent enrollment classes, continue to be added. The Enrollment Task Force will be working to grow spring enrollment.
    • SSEC: No report.
    • LOC: Wendy Nelson reported that LOC is strategically planning how to achieve the identified goals for this year.
    • SPC: Interim VP Sourbeer reported that SPC is currently reviewing goals/objectives and actions related to those objectives.
    • CTEE: Travis Ritt reported that Palomar College is a pilot school for the Top Code Project. The project will be taken to the next Faculty Senate meeting for approval.
    • BSI: The College will need to develop strategies to coordinate BSI, Student Equity, and Student Success funds.
  • Announcements/Other
    • Interim VP Sourbeer informed the Council that the Curriculum Committee is reviewing the appropriateness of requests to schedule combined courses that typically are sequential or require one of the paired courses as a prerequisite for the other course. This topic will also be included on the next IPC agenda.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Instructional Planning Council Website:

http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/

SSPC (10/26/16)

The following action and discussion took place at the October 26, 2016 meeting of the Student Services Planning Council

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION ITEMS

  • New Member Introduced – Deanna Shoop, Manager of Outreach
  • Update on Student Services District BP/AP – The Student Services BP/AP’s listed below were reviewed and will be sent forward to the Policies and Procedures committee.
    1. AP 5012 – International Students
    2. BP 5030 – Fees
    3. AP 5030 – Fees
    4. BP 5420 – ASG Financial Management
    5. AP 5420 – ASG Financial Management
    6. BP 5757 – Parking
    7. AP 5757 – Parking
  • NaBITA Training October 18 – 21, 2016 – Judy Harris gave an update on the NaBITA training that took place October 18-21, 2016.  The Crisis Intervention team which includes Counseling, Student Affairs, Behavioral Health Counseling and Campus Police will be meeting on a monthly basis to review threat assessment, crisis management and case load management.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

  • Academic Review Committee – Dr. Kendyl Magnuson reported that this committee has received three files to review and are considering an online polling system for committee members.
  • Behavioral Health & Campus Wellness Committee – Judy Harris and Sherry Titus reported that they are in the process of updating their website and resources.
  • Campus Police Committee – Chief DiMaggio reported that they are in the process of identifying a new chairperson.
  • Registration Committee – Dr. Kendyl Magnuson reported they finished working on the first round of the registration calendar and will begin working on a 2-year academic calendar in spring 2017.

OTHER BUSINESS

  • Town Hall Forums – November 2, 2016 – VP Gonzales announced that President Blake will be holding two Town Hall Forums on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 in the Governing Board room.  The first will be from 9:30 – 10:30 a.m. and the second will be from 3:30 – 4:30 p.m.
  • Vice President of Human Resource Services update – VP Gonzales reported that the first level interviews for the VP of Human Resources will be on Friday, October 28, 2016.
  • Accreditation Site visit on October 24, 2016 – VP Gonzales reported that the site visit from the ACCJC evaluation team on Monday, October 24, 2016 went well.  The visit began at the Camp Pendleton site at 7:30 a.m. and wrapped up on the main campus by 2:00 p.m.  The recommendations addressed were adequate tutorial support for online students, services at Camp Pendleton commensurate with the offerings at the San Marcos campus and that all constituent groups have an opportunity to serve on councils, committees, subcommittees, task forces and workgroups.  We submitted a report addressing these concerns and walked them through the steps we have taken to align with these recommendations.  Next, the team will write a report based on the information we provided and will submit it to ACCJC.  ACCJC will then respond with a final recommendation.
  • Palomar Promise – VP Gonzales reported that we have partnered with the San Marcos Promise (SMP) to provide financial support to high school graduates from San Marcos Unified School District (SMUSD) who choose to attend Palomar.  The SMP has academic and college readiness criteria that must be met in order for students to receive the “Promise” funding.  Dr. Blake has asked that we expand the Palomar Promise to include all high school graduates in our service area.  The Palomar Promise will not have any specific criteria other than the      requirements that a student graduates from an eligible high school in our service area and that they complete the FAFSA and BOG applications.  More information will be coming out regarding the two promise programs.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Student Services Planning Council website:    http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/sspc

Meeting was adjourned at 11:04 a.m.

IPC (5/11/16)

The following discussion took place at the May 11, 2016 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Interim VP Sourbeer solicited questions/comments regarding the PRP priorities as recommended by the Division deans. The priorities were unanimously approved by the council.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer mentioned that accreditation work will continue over the summer.
  • Interim Dean Blanchard distributed a handout showing Palomar faculty that have committed to participating in the summer AEBG curriculum alignment project. Discussion centered around noncredit courses and their various applications ensued.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer announced that the Superintendent/President Search Committee has selected finalists and forums will be held next Wednesday, May 18th in the Howard Brubeck Theatre
  • Interim VP Sourbeer mentioned that a marketing company was interviewed and a decision should be forthcoming soon.  ·         Faculty hiring is progressing and all committees should finish their work within a week of graduation.
  • Margie Fritch, currently at SD Mesa CC, has accepted Palomar’s offer to become the new permanent CTEE Dean, starting on July 1st. The process of hiring a permanent AMBCS Dean will begin soon.
  • Michael Mufson announced there will be a concert hour/student honors recital as well as an awards ceremony tomorrow, May 12th.  In addition, the Palomar Symphony & Chorale will have a combined performance on Friday, May 13th & Saturday, May 14th. The Palomar Pacific Coast Concert Band will perform on Sunday, May 15th.

IPC (4/13/16)

The following discussion took place at the April 13, 2016 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Interim VP Sourbeer reviewed the Top 20 rankings for 2017-18 faculty hires recommended by the IPC Hiring Subcommittee. This item was moved to action and the list was approved. It will now be taken to Strategic Planning Council for consideration.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer updated the council on the work that has been done on the Accreditation recommendations. An electronic form for contacting constituency representatives to ask questions or provide feedback on council/committee activities was added to the Comet Information Exchange (CIE). Here is a link to access the CIE: https://www.palomar.edu/cie/.
  • Dean Sivert mentioned that SSEC recently approved most of the funding requests that were submitted for review.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer reported out for Wendy Nelson on SLOAC indicating that LOC is discussing ways to assess one of their institutional learning outcomes – Knowledge of Human Culture and the Physical and Natural World – through the PRP process next fall. LOC is in the middle of their GE/ILO assessment of Digital Literacy. So far they have assessed over 20 classes and will continue to assess for the next two weeks.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer gave an update on enrollment, indicating that the fall schedule is being finalized and many strategies to increase enrollment are underway, including increased outreach and renewed relationships with partner districts.
  • Interim Dean Blanchard gave an update report on the Adult Education Block Grant explaining the college is working with the Education to Career Network of North San Diego County, a consortium of service area districts, and has developed a three year plan with the goal of ending duplication of services and working collaboratively to align Adult School curriculum to transition seamlessly to college and/or the workforce.

Additional information can be found at the Instructional Planning Council Website:

http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/