The following action and discussion took place at the February 8, 2017 meeting of the Student Services Planning Council:
- Review 2016-17 PRP’s
- Athletics – Scott Cathcart reviewed this PRP.
- Counseling – Instructional – Patrick O’Brien reviewed this PRP.
- International Students – Yasue O’Neill reviewed this PRP.
- Update on Student Services District BP/AP – VP Gonzales advised that the following Student Services Board Policies and Administrative Procedures were sent to the Council for feedback. There were no suggested edits from the Council. They will be moved forward to Policies & Procedures, SPC and then to the Governing Board for final approval.
- AP 5075 – Course Adds and Drops
- AP 5110 – Counseling Services
- AP 5120 – Transfer Center
- AP 5140 – DRC/DSPS
- AP 5160 – Gear Up Program
- AP 5170 – TRIO Program
- AP 5510 – Off-Campus Student Organizations
- AP 5610 – Voter Registration
- AP 5700 – Athletics
- AP 5900 – Prevention of Identity Theft in Student Financials
- Promise Program Framework – VP Gonzales reported that the Palomar Promise grant proposal was sent to the Chancellor’s Office earlier this month, to meet the February 3, 2017 deadline. The Palomar Promise will provide support to incoming freshman from Early Preparation > FYE > SYE > Completion. The Palomar Promise will work in conjunction with many other student support services on campus such as dual/concurrent enrollment, summer academies, early alert, Transfer Center, Career Center, tutoring, retention, etc.
- High School Concurrent/Dual Enrollment – VP Gonzales reported he met with a group from Instruction and Counseling last week to discuss how to reorganize AB 288 to allow us to work more closely with the high schools. They are working on creating a menu of classes to offer to our district high schools. Patrick O’Brien reported that all four classes offered to San Marcos High School, Mission Hills High School, Ramona High School and Fallbrook High School were filled for the spring 2017 semester.
- AB 540/Immigrant Student Support – VP Gonzales reported that Student Services has created a website to include resources to our AB 540/Immigrant students. The website will include statements, information, facts and resources for our students, faculty and staff.
- Hiring FT Counselor(s) for Fall 2017 – Patrick O’Brien reported they currently have twenty-one full-time counselors and are in need of more. He requested hiring two full time Counselors and the Council agreed that we can hire one Counselor now. There was discussion on the various positions that need to be filled in Student Services areas. VP Gonzales reported that we have hired over fifty classified positions, almost thirty faculty and several administrators since the SERP.
- VP Gonzales gave an update on the recent W-2 data breach. The breach was recognized through our regular IS monitoring and quickly blocked the port of entry of the breach. An investigation is still ongoing. There is an offer for 1 year of identity protection available to Palomar College employees.
Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Student Services Planning Council website: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/sspc/