The following action and discussion took place at the April 28, 2017 meeting of the Student Success & Equity Council:
- A2Mend Conference (March 2-3, 2017) Letty Aguirre gave the following report:
- Speakers encouraged all community colleges to ask themselves: “What are we doing to acknowledge what some students have to deal with on a daily basis that we don’t have to deal with?”
- Speakers encouraged all community colleges to ask themselves: “What are we doing as a community to acknowledge the formerly incarcerated students…giving second chances?”
- Our political climate was discussed and the effect it has had on our students mental health.
- Dean of Instruction to serve on SSEC – Travis Ritt reported that we will be selecting another Dean of Instruction to serve on SSEC to replace Dr. Kahn since he is now filling a Tri-Chair role as the new VPI.
- Summer 2017 Meeting Schedule – Olga Diaz reported that she will be sending out a Doodle Poll to find out which day works best to meet over the summer. We will hold a one day, four hour meeting to create a draft integrated plan for SSSP/NCSSSP/SE/BSI.
- Conference Opportunities:
- Annual M2C3 Summer Conference – June 8 – 9, 2017 at SDSU – Olga Diaz asked members to let her know by May 5, 2017 if they are interested in attending. We are required to send at least one person per our contract with M2C3. The agenda is available on-line at: http://consortium.cceal.org/wpcontent/uploads/2017/02/working-group-meeting-agenda.pdf
- HACU Conference – October 28-30, 2017 at Hilton San Diego Bayfront – Olga Diaz handed out the sign in sheet for members who would like to attend this conference. We will be registering people by the end of May 2017. More information is available here: http://www.hacu.net/hacu/Annual_Conference1.asp
- Preview of 5/12/17 SSEC Meeting – Olga Diaz reported that at the next SSEC meeting on May 12, 2017 we will be reviewing the following:
- Updated Disproportionate Impact Study
- M2C3 Survey Findings/Discussion
- Integration Update/Timeline
- Summer SSEC Meeting Schedule
- Workgroups Meet- Workgroups met in AA-140, MD-155B and MD-155C.
- Nancy Moreno reported that the Early Acceptance Program (EAP) name has changed to be called “Discover Palomar”. This event will be held on June 2, 2017 from 2:00 – 8:00 p.m. and June 3, 2017 from 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. in front of the Student Services Center. It will include new student orientation, academic planning sessions and course registration assistance to all new incoming students.
Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Student Success and Equity Council website: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ssec/