Palomar College Learning For Success

Comet Information Exchange (CIE)

Connecting Committees and Councils through Communication

Menu

Tag: 3SP

SSEC (7/19/17)

The following action and discussion took place at the July 19, 2017 meeting of the Student Success & Equity Council:

ACTION ITEMS/FIRST READING

  • Military Value Statement – Ryan Williams presented the updated Military Affiliated Students Value Statement which reflected the suggestions made during the SSEC meeting on April 14, 2017 when it was presented as an Information/Discussion Item. The Council had more edit suggestions around access.  VP Gonzales asked that the statement be updated with the suggested changes and be brought back to the next SSEC meeting on August 25, 2017 as an Action Item/Second Reading.

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION ITEMS

  • Review of 2016-17 SSEC – Olga Diaz reviewed the student directed support, staff positions filled, PD, tangible items purchased and the programs that the SSEC supported during the 2016-17 academic year.
  • Conferences – VP Gonzales reported that we will be identifying funding support around conferences at the beginning of each fiscal year. There was a consensus to keep the conferences listed below, along with APAHE.
    1. Center for Urban Education (CUE): Diversifying Faculty through Equity is September 28 – 29, 2017 in Los Angeles – looking for a team of 8, specific roles to be filled
    2. HACU: October 28 – 30, 2017 in San Diego – 10 staff, 15 students
    3. Umoja XIII Conference: November 3-4, 2017 in Sacramento
    4. A2MEND: TBD
    5. M2C3: June – SDSU
  • Budget
    • Allocations – Olga gave an overview of the SSSP, SE, NCSSSP and BSI budgets from 2014-18, along with the estimated 2017-18 budget.
    • Rollover – Olga reported that the funds for these initiatives are committed to on-going programming.  If unused funds are identified, they can be made available for one-time purchases.
  • 3SP Data
    • Orientation/Assessment/Counseling – Olga presented 3SP service data from 2016–17.
    • NC3SP – Olga presented our funding formula for NC3SP.
  • Integration Draft for Review – The Council reviewed the integrated draft plan. The deadline to submit the two year budget with annual fiscal reports is December 1, 2017.  Olga handed out member input worksheets for each member to provide feedback.  She asked that the Council return their suggestions to her by August 7, 2017.
  • Discussion on Adding: Puente/Umoja into 3SP/SE/BSI – Letty Aguirre reported that a focus group will be meeting this Friday, July 21, 2017. They are researching into what other schools are doing around Umoja/Puente.  VP Gonzales recommended that she create a proposed budget that meets the requirements of the MOU prior to the next SSEC meeting.
  • Palomar Promise – Gabe Sanchez gave the following estimates on the 2017 Palomar Promise cohort:
  • 2000 FYE applications accepted for Fall 2017
  • 1100 were prospective Promise last week
  • 241 removed for no enrollment
  • 882 prospective Promise students enrolled for fall
  • 500-800 projected Promise students for fall pending fulltime enrollment and completion of Financial Aid to do list
  • 66% Latino
  • 3% African American
  • Significant Projects – Olga Diaz reported:
    • Starfish Implementation – We are in the process of implementing this customer relations management tool (early alert system). Instructors can send feedback to students and vice versa.
    • Degree Audit Consultant – We are working with a consultant on completing the degree audit process.

OTHER BUSINESS

  • Pete Ordille introduced Sam Neuhauser our new Public Safety Outreach Coordinator.
  • Olga reported that we will be continuing our SEAL Center Equity Film Series on Mondays at 4:30 p.m. in SU-19 beginning September 11, 2017.
  • Olga reported that we are planning a tour of Homeboy Industries on November 20, 2017. They provide support for men and women exiting prison.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Student Success and Equity Council website:    http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ssec/

IPC (4/27/2016)

The following discussion took place at the April 27, 2016 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Interim VP Sourbeer reviewed the PRP priorities as recommended by the Division deans. The priority list was sorted by funding source (block grant or lottery), by Dean’s priority. A change in this process includes the attempt to identify ongoing operational expenses to fund in departmental budgets and use the PRP process only for expenses that are not regular ongoing operational in nature. Council members were asked to review the list which will be moved to action at the next meeting
  • Interim VP Sourbeer discussed items from last week’s CIO meeting in Sacramento. Topics included the push towards regional collaboration/funding. This is already occurring with the Adult Education Block Grant, Career Technical Education, and Workforce Development. Another theme of the conference was coordinating funding sources. There are many grants and initiatives with different plans and different reporting metrics. There is an effort to try to create mechanisms to coordinate these initiatives. As a college, we are looking toward the possibility of having one application for requests for funds which would be reviewed by a workgroup to ascertain the appropriate funding source in order to best serve our student populations.
  • Interim President Gonzales, Interim VP Sourbeer, and Acting VP Stockert visited Arizona State University on Monday to tour the campus and learn about transfer opportunities for Palomar students.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer mentioned that accreditation work is on schedule and will continue over the summer.
  • Wendy Nelson reported that the Student Pathways group on 3SP is making progress. All council members are currently reading Redesigning America’s Community Colleges and ideas/implications will then be discussed.
  • Wendy Nelson informed the council that LOC has assessed 30 classes and Institutional Research and Planning will now analyze the results. One of LOCs goals this year is to develop and disseminate suggestions for using SLO assessment data in program review. They will bring feedback from LOC to the IPC workgroup that will begin updating the PRP process
  • Interim VP Sourbeer indicated that an RFP has gone out to identify a consultant to begin assisting with marketing. He assured the council members that faculty/staff will be involved in a dialog with the marketing firm in regard to plan strategies..
  • Interim Dean Blanchard gave an update report on the Adult Education Block Grant explaining the college is working with the Education to Career Network of North San Diego County, a consortium of service area districts, and has developed a three year plan with the goal of ending duplication of services and working collaboratively to align Adult School curriculum to transition seamlessly to college and/or the workforce. A lot of work will occur this summer with faculty representatives from each Adult School and the college for the curriculum alignment project with Adult Schools. In addition, meetings are taking place with departments that are interested in developing noncredit courses leading into credit CTE coursework and Community Education classes for seniors. For more information on the AEBG grant, visit http://aebg.cccco.edu/Home.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer informed the council that the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN) conducted their review of the Nursing program this week and there were no findings of non-compliance. A report will be sent to the BRN for final approval next month. Upon approval by the Board in September, accreditation is confirmed for the next five years.

Additional information can be found at the Instructional Planning Council Website:

http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/