The following action and discussion took place at the July 19, 2017 meeting of the Student Success & Equity Council:
ACTION ITEMS/FIRST READING
- Military Value Statement – Ryan Williams presented the updated Military Affiliated Students Value Statement which reflected the suggestions made during the SSEC meeting on April 14, 2017 when it was presented as an Information/Discussion Item. The Council had more edit suggestions around access. VP Gonzales asked that the statement be updated with the suggested changes and be brought back to the next SSEC meeting on August 25, 2017 as an Action Item/Second Reading.
- Review of 2016-17 SSEC – Olga Diaz reviewed the student directed support, staff positions filled, PD, tangible items purchased and the programs that the SSEC supported during the 2016-17 academic year.
- Conferences – VP Gonzales reported that we will be identifying funding support around conferences at the beginning of each fiscal year. There was a consensus to keep the conferences listed below, along with APAHE.
- Center for Urban Education (CUE): Diversifying Faculty through Equity is September 28 – 29, 2017 in Los Angeles – looking for a team of 8, specific roles to be filled
- HACU: October 28 – 30, 2017 in San Diego – 10 staff, 15 students
- Umoja XIII Conference: November 3-4, 2017 in Sacramento
- A2MEND: TBD
- M2C3: June – SDSU
- Allocations – Olga gave an overview of the SSSP, SE, NCSSSP and BSI budgets from 2014-18, along with the estimated 2017-18 budget.
- Rollover – Olga reported that the funds for these initiatives are committed to on-going programming. If unused funds are identified, they can be made available for one-time purchases.
- 3SP Data
- Orientation/Assessment/Counseling – Olga presented 3SP service data from 2016–17.
- NC3SP – Olga presented our funding formula for NC3SP.
- Integration Draft for Review – The Council reviewed the integrated draft plan. The deadline to submit the two year budget with annual fiscal reports is December 1, 2017. Olga handed out member input worksheets for each member to provide feedback. She asked that the Council return their suggestions to her by August 7, 2017.
- Discussion on Adding: Puente/Umoja into 3SP/SE/BSI – Letty Aguirre reported that a focus group will be meeting this Friday, July 21, 2017. They are researching into what other schools are doing around Umoja/Puente. VP Gonzales recommended that she create a proposed budget that meets the requirements of the MOU prior to the next SSEC meeting.
- Palomar Promise – Gabe Sanchez gave the following estimates on the 2017 Palomar Promise cohort:
- 2000 FYE applications accepted for Fall 2017
- 1100 were prospective Promise last week
- 241 removed for no enrollment
- 882 prospective Promise students enrolled for fall
- 500-800 projected Promise students for fall pending fulltime enrollment and completion of Financial Aid to do list
- 66% Latino
- 3% African American
- Significant Projects – Olga Diaz reported:
- Starfish Implementation – We are in the process of implementing this customer relations management tool (early alert system). Instructors can send feedback to students and vice versa.
- Degree Audit Consultant – We are working with a consultant on completing the degree audit process.
- Pete Ordille introduced Sam Neuhauser our new Public Safety Outreach Coordinator.
- Olga reported that we will be continuing our SEAL Center Equity Film Series on Mondays at 4:30 p.m. in SU-19 beginning September 11, 2017.
- Olga reported that we are planning a tour of Homeboy Industries on November 20, 2017. They provide support for men and women exiting prison.
Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Student Success and Equity Council website: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ssec/