Palomar College Learning For Success

Comet Information Exchange (CIE)

Connecting Committees and Councils through Communication

Menu

Category: Student Success & Equity (SSEC)

SSEC (7/19/17)

The following action and discussion took place at the July 19, 2017 meeting of the Student Success & Equity Council:

ACTION ITEMS/FIRST READING

  • Military Value Statement – Ryan Williams presented the updated Military Affiliated Students Value Statement which reflected the suggestions made during the SSEC meeting on April 14, 2017 when it was presented as an Information/Discussion Item. The Council had more edit suggestions around access.  VP Gonzales asked that the statement be updated with the suggested changes and be brought back to the next SSEC meeting on August 25, 2017 as an Action Item/Second Reading.

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION ITEMS

  • Review of 2016-17 SSEC – Olga Diaz reviewed the student directed support, staff positions filled, PD, tangible items purchased and the programs that the SSEC supported during the 2016-17 academic year.
  • Conferences – VP Gonzales reported that we will be identifying funding support around conferences at the beginning of each fiscal year. There was a consensus to keep the conferences listed below, along with APAHE.
    1. Center for Urban Education (CUE): Diversifying Faculty through Equity is September 28 – 29, 2017 in Los Angeles – looking for a team of 8, specific roles to be filled
    2. HACU: October 28 – 30, 2017 in San Diego – 10 staff, 15 students
    3. Umoja XIII Conference: November 3-4, 2017 in Sacramento
    4. A2MEND: TBD
    5. M2C3: June – SDSU
  • Budget
    • Allocations – Olga gave an overview of the SSSP, SE, NCSSSP and BSI budgets from 2014-18, along with the estimated 2017-18 budget.
    • Rollover – Olga reported that the funds for these initiatives are committed to on-going programming.  If unused funds are identified, they can be made available for one-time purchases.
  • 3SP Data
    • Orientation/Assessment/Counseling – Olga presented 3SP service data from 2016–17.
    • NC3SP – Olga presented our funding formula for NC3SP.
  • Integration Draft for Review – The Council reviewed the integrated draft plan. The deadline to submit the two year budget with annual fiscal reports is December 1, 2017.  Olga handed out member input worksheets for each member to provide feedback.  She asked that the Council return their suggestions to her by August 7, 2017.
  • Discussion on Adding: Puente/Umoja into 3SP/SE/BSI – Letty Aguirre reported that a focus group will be meeting this Friday, July 21, 2017. They are researching into what other schools are doing around Umoja/Puente.  VP Gonzales recommended that she create a proposed budget that meets the requirements of the MOU prior to the next SSEC meeting.
  • Palomar Promise – Gabe Sanchez gave the following estimates on the 2017 Palomar Promise cohort:
  • 2000 FYE applications accepted for Fall 2017
  • 1100 were prospective Promise last week
  • 241 removed for no enrollment
  • 882 prospective Promise students enrolled for fall
  • 500-800 projected Promise students for fall pending fulltime enrollment and completion of Financial Aid to do list
  • 66% Latino
  • 3% African American
  • Significant Projects – Olga Diaz reported:
    • Starfish Implementation – We are in the process of implementing this customer relations management tool (early alert system). Instructors can send feedback to students and vice versa.
    • Degree Audit Consultant – We are working with a consultant on completing the degree audit process.

OTHER BUSINESS

  • Pete Ordille introduced Sam Neuhauser our new Public Safety Outreach Coordinator.
  • Olga reported that we will be continuing our SEAL Center Equity Film Series on Mondays at 4:30 p.m. in SU-19 beginning September 11, 2017.
  • Olga reported that we are planning a tour of Homeboy Industries on November 20, 2017. They provide support for men and women exiting prison.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Student Success and Equity Council website:    http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ssec/

SSEC (5/12/17)

The following action and discussion took place at the May 12, 2017 meeting of the Student Success & Equity Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION ITEMS

  • APAHE Conference April 6–7, 2017 in Oakland, CA Report Out – Larry Lawson reported on the Asian Pacific Americans in Higher Education (APAHE) National Conference that he attended in Oakland, CA on April 6-7, 2017. He gave an overview of how APAHE was formed – it was founded in 1987 during the height of a five-year fight against a series of discriminatory admission policy directed against Asian Pacific American applicants at Berkeley.  As a conference on the admission fight convened in Oakland, CA, participants uniformly felt the need for an organization that would address issues affecting Asian Pacific American students, staff, faculty and administrators. Larry’s suggestions for Palomar College based on the sessions he attended:
    • Create a year-long Learning Community for Latinx
    • Pursue Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institutions Programs grants: https://www2.ed.gov/programs/aanapi/index.html
    • Collaborate with Mira Costa College
    • Student Mentoring based on the book: Powerful Learning Communities: A Guide to Developing Student, Faculty and Professional Learning Communities (2013) by Lenning, Hill, Saunders, Solan and Stokes
    • Appoint a member of our campus community to be a point-person for DACA students
  • M2C3 Report
    • Overview of M2C3 – Olga Diaz gave an overview of the Minority Male Community College Collaborative (M2C3) which is a Community College Equity Assessment Lab (CCEAL), a national research laboratory nested under SDSU. Palomar College has contracted with M2C3 to assess our institutional efforts relevant to underserved students and to provide institutional access to the Teaching Men of Color training program.
    • Survey Results – Rachel Miller described the Community College Survey Measure (CCSM) as an assessment tool for evaluating student success. Data can assist the campus community with ways to improve student success and outcomes for DI students.
    • Notable findings – Rachel Miller reviewed notable findings of the survey in the areas of background factors, campus ethos, non-cognitive outcomes, student outcomes and environmental factors.

There was discussion on creating workshops and action plans to actively address the data presented in the report.  The full report can be found here:  https://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ssec/minutes-and-agendas/

  • IRP Team
    • Overview of Student Equity – Olga Diaz gave an overview of the purpose of the Student Equity Plan. The first equity policy was established in 1992 by CCCBOG and the first funding for equity programs was in 2014. The Student Equity program’s focus is to ensure equal educational opportunities and to promote student success.  Disproportionate Impact (DI) occurs when “the percentage of persons from a particular (group) is significantly different from the representation of that group in the population…”
    • Disproportionate Impact Study Update – David reviewed the progress on whether the current equity goals were met. Some of our SE plan goals were met and some were not. Overall success rates are going up and we are continuing to work on evaluating the degree to which we are “closing the gap” for disproportionately impacted groups.

The full report can be found here:  https://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ssec/minutes-and-agendas/

  • Social Justice Center Update – VP Kahn reported that there will be a meeting on Friday, May 19, 2017 at 10:00 a.m. in H-306 to discuss the beginning stages of creating our Social Justice Center.
  • Summer SSEC Meeting – Olga reported that she sent out a Doodle poll to determine whether July 13, 2017 or July 19, 2017 from 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. (with lunch included) will be a better meeting date. A meeting request will be sent out once a date is determined.  An integrated draft plan will be reviewed at this meeting.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Student Success and Equity Council website:    http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ssec/

SSEC (4/28/17)

The following action and discussion took place at the April 28, 2017 meeting of the Student Success & Equity Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION ITEMS

  • A2Mend Conference (March 2-3, 2017) Letty Aguirre gave the following report:
    • Speakers encouraged all community colleges to ask themselves: “What are we doing to acknowledge what some students have to deal with on a daily basis that we don’t have to deal with?”
    • Speakers encouraged all community colleges to ask themselves: “What are we doing as a community to acknowledge the formerly incarcerated students…giving second chances?”
    • Our political climate was discussed and the effect it has had on our students mental health.
  • Dean of Instruction to serve on SSEC – Travis Ritt reported that we will be selecting another Dean of Instruction to serve on SSEC to replace Dr. Kahn since he is now filling a Tri-Chair role as the new VPI.
  • Summer 2017 Meeting Schedule – Olga Diaz reported that she will be sending out a Doodle Poll to find out which day works best to meet over the summer. We will hold a one day, four hour meeting to create a draft integrated plan for SSSP/NCSSSP/SE/BSI.
  • Conference Opportunities:
    • Annual M2C3 Summer Conference – June 8 – 9, 2017 at SDSU – Olga Diaz asked members to let her know by May 5, 2017 if they are interested in attending. We are required to send at least one person per our contract with M2C3. The agenda is available on-line at: http://consortium.cceal.org/wpcontent/uploads/2017/02/working-group-meeting-agenda.pdf
    • HACU Conference – October 28-30, 2017 at Hilton San Diego Bayfront – Olga Diaz handed out the sign in sheet for members who would like to attend this conference. We will be registering people by the end of May 2017.  More information is available here:  http://www.hacu.net/hacu/Annual_Conference1.asp
  • Preview of 5/12/17 SSEC Meeting – Olga Diaz reported that at the next SSEC meeting on May 12, 2017 we will be reviewing the following:
    • Updated Disproportionate Impact Study
    • M2C3 Survey Findings/Discussion
    • Integration Update/Timeline
    • Summer SSEC Meeting Schedule
  • Workgroups Meet- Workgroups met in AA-140, MD-155B and MD-155C.

OTHER BUSINESS

  • Nancy Moreno reported that the Early Acceptance Program (EAP) name has changed to be called “Discover Palomar”. This event will be held on June 2, 2017 from 2:00 – 8:00 p.m. and June 3, 2017 from 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. in front of the Student Services Center.  It will include new student orientation, academic planning sessions and course registration assistance to all new incoming students.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Student Success and Equity Council website:    http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ssec/

 

Tags:

SSEC (4/14/17)

The following action and discussion took place at the April 14, 2017 meeting of the Student Success & Equity Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION ITEMS

  • Military Value Statement – Ryan Williams presented a Military Affiliated Students Value Statement created by the Access and Outreach Workgroup. The purpose of this presentation was to receive institutional “buy-in” in order to implement it to benefit our military population.  The statement aligns with our college values.  There was a suggestion to integrate the items that were struck out back into the statement and to be sure it is aligned with the college’s Strategic Plan.  VP Gonzales asked that this statement be updated with those changes, be presented to each constituent group for feedback and it will be brought back to the next SSEC meeting on April 28, 2017 as an Action Item/First Reading.
  • Creating a “Center for Social Justice Studies & Equity” – Ryan Williams announced that the college is beginning the conversation about creating a center for social justice and equity and they are looking for people to be involved. A sign-up sheet was sent around.  The first meeting to address this will be held on Friday, April 21, 2017 from 10:00 – 11:30 a.m. in AA-140.
  • Peer Mentoring and Retention Activities – Nancy Moreno presented an Orientation & Follow-Up Services update. She described our Palomar Student Pathway as follows:
    • Apply – Student Applies to the college
    • Onboarding Process
      • Clear steps to enroll
      • Discover Palomar
      • Increase access to counseling services and high impact programs
      • Increased student communication efforts
      • Online orientation
      • New student orientation & academic planning sessions
      • Week of Welcome
      • Palomar College Peer Mentors
      • Phone Campaigns
      • Admissions Support
      • Early Alert
    • FYE – First Year Experience
    • 30 Unit Mark
      • 2nd year experience
      • Increase the number of students completing comprehensive education plans
      • Barriers to success surveys
      • Increase access to counseling services and high impact programs
  • Integration of SSSP/SE/BSI – VP Gonzales reported that there was an initial meeting with the Chairs of SSSP/SE/BSI to discuss implementing SSSP/SE/BSI. He gave an overview of the integration plan, which is due to the Chancellor’s Office on December 1, 2017.  A team will meet over the summer to create a rough draft in order to meet the deadline.  A template will be brought to the next SSEC meeting on April 28, 2017.
  • Council Reading Update: Redesigning America’s Community Colleges – A Clearer Path to Student Success Chapters 5 – 6 –   Michelle Barton led the discussion on chapters 5 and 6, with the following points noted:
    • What was the take away from book?
      • We now have a Student Pathways group
        • We are establishing career and guided pathways
        • An innovation grant would help move it forward
        • More attention focused on retention and re-entry students
      • We already have the following pathways:
        • Student Education Plans
        • Instructional departments have created pathways – take a look at department pathways and build ours from there
    • How do you fully engage adjunct faculty?
      • Research model’s at other colleges

Michelle will take this information back to the pathways group.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Student Success and Equity Council website:    http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ssec/

 

SSEC (3/24/17)

The following action and discussion took place at the March 24, 2017 meeting of the Student Success & Equity Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION ITEMS

  • Conference OpportunitiesThose interested in attending any of the conferences can contact Olga at x3624.
  • Workgroups Report Out

    • Retention – Cindy Anfinson reported that their group has split into three subgroups:
    • ESL/Basic Skills Completion – led by Larry Lawson, working on:
      • Embedded tutoring workshops to be launched in fall of 2017
        • Information on funding for embedded tutors
        • 4 PD workshops in the fall of 2017 – this group will be meeting with Kelly Falcone at the next SSEC Workgroup meeting on April 28, 2017 to discuss implementation
        • Tutoring committee has a sub-group on embedded tutoring around STEM, led by Mireya Gutierrez-Aguero. This sub-group will be meeting to collaborate with them in April 2017
      • FYE and other high touch programs – led by Rosalinda Tovar, working on:
        • Restructure FYE orientation starting in fall of 2017
        • Integrating FYE with EAP, Week of Welcome, and other on-boarding activities
        • Create campus “traditions”
        • Considering an Open House event where parents will be invited
      • 6 factors of student success campaign – led by Nancy Moreno, working on:
        • Creating sample syllabi for faculty
        • PD workshop
        • Implementing the 6 factors into courses
        • Focus group for students
        • Create banners for the San Marcos, Escondido, North and South centers
        • Create videos and integrate them into other parts of the college/websites
        • Student Pathways – Rachel Miller reported that they reviewed an application around guided pathways and used it as a framework to create a readiness assessment. They used the readiness assessment to create questions/surveys to find out if members on campus are ready for guided pathways.  They also built a visualization of the timeline, based on the STEM pathway and would like to implement it by the fall of 2019.  Kathy Kailikole wrote a grant for STEM pathways and we received funding for a 3 million dollars block grant from the Chancellor’s Office in March 2017 for STEM pathways.
        • Access & Outreach – Pete Ordille reported that the following objectives were reached:
          • Creating a mission/value statement for the Veterans Outreach
          • Creating pathways for direct employment
            • Graduation at Camp Pendleton for EME students
          • Ensuring our Veterans have marketable skills
          • Legislation has been established that recognizes military training as college credit for     EME 100 – Combat Lifesavers course (required in the military).
          • Pair students up with mentors in the community
          • Fast-track them into jobs/careers
          • Counsel them regarding available benefits
          • Public safety marketing video has been created – it will be previewed on April 7, 2017
  • Integrate Updates (BSI/SE/SSSP/NCSSSP)Olga reported that the Chancellor’s office has initiated plan integration activities to combine the four categorical programs to include Basic Skills/Student Equity/SSSP and Non-Credit SSSP. The restrictions on all funding allocations are limited to: gifts, stipends, political contributions, courses that generate FTE and supplanting.  We will be creating our own guidelines for what is reasonable and justifiable for all four programs and will consistently apply those guidelines.

OTHER BUSINESS

  • VP Sourbeer reported on the IEPI visit which took place on March 17, 2017. The visiting team gave us a lot of positive and complimentary feedback.  They will make recommendations at their next visit in April 2017 and will return again in fall of 2018.   They focused on the following items:                                          
    • Enrollment Management – Current processes and suggestions for improvement
    • Human Resources – Hiring process, hiring committees, time management, etc.
    • Communications – Shared governance and communications reaching all constituent groups
  • VP Sourbeer reported that the interviews for the VPI position are taking place today.
  • VP Sourbeer reported that the VP of HR committee failed the search. We will be bringing in a consultant and will go out again for hire.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Student Success and Equity Council website:    http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ssec/

SSEC (2/24/17)

The following action and discussion took place at the February 24, 2017 meeting of the Student Success & Equity Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION ITEMS

  • UMOJA “Starting with your Why” – Adjunct Faculty Winter Retreat Report Out-Kyle Owens, January 5-6, 2017 at the Paradise Point. Resort, San Diego – Kyle Owens reported that six adjunct instructors attended this two-day conference.  UMOJA has been in the process of being implemented throughout the state of California over the past two years.  Coordinators from the community colleges that have already implemented UMOJA were in attendance.  The program has taken on a holistic approach to include spiritual, personal, academic and career goals around African and African American scholars.  The focus is geared towards retention, persistence and increasing graduation rates (similar to the Puente program).  Students and coordinators have developed “Porch Talk” seminars, which invites different community members to discuss overcoming challenges, increasing inclusion, encouraging student retention and developing alliances on campus.  Our UMOJA program is geared towards being implemented by the fall of 2018.
  • Conference Opportunies:
    • HACU – October 28-30, 2017 at the Hilton San Diego Bayfront – VP Gonzales reported that we will be sending faculty/staff members and students to this conference. All who attend will be required to drive back and forth each day, since it is located in San Diego.  Students who apply for a scholarship will be required to have at least one semester of college completed in order to apply.  May 31, 2017 is the early bird deadline.
  • Palomar College Promise Update – VP Gonzales reported that the Palomar Promise Launch was held on February 22, 2017 in the Brubeck Theater. There were over 150 Gear-Up students in attendance as well as Governing Board members, campus community members, city officials, Palomar College Foundation supporters and numerous community members.  The College received a $1 million dollar donation from Follett Corporation and $500,000.00 from the Palomar College Foundation.  Additionally, the College has created a website to support the Palomar Promise: https://www2.palomar.edu/pages/palomarpromise/.  The Palomar Promise includes the following benefits for one year:
    • Free tuition ($46.00 per unit)
    • $1,000.00 towards books ($500.00 per semester)
    • Health fees paid ($19.00 per semester)
    • Parking fees paid ($40.00 per semester)
  • SE/SSSP/BSI Discussion – VP Gonzales reported that we have received notice from the Chancellor’s Office that the Student Equity plan, the Student Success and Support Program plan and the Basic Skills plan will all be combined. Olga reported that it will be on a 2-year cycle with overlapping years.  The chairs of SSEC and the BSI committee will be meeting in the coming weeks to discuss how to integrate these plans.  The new plan deadline is December 2017.
  • Funding Request Update – VP Gonzales gave an overview of the funds currently committed to SE and SSSP. Our current funding requests are exceeding our allocation.  There was brief discussion on continuing to fund the current requests and not accepting more at this time.
  • Workgroups Meet – The Workgroups were dismissed to meet for the last part of the meeting.

OTHER BUSINESS                                                                                            

  • VP Gonzales announced that the Asian Pacific Americans in Higher Education (APAHE) will be holding a conference on April 6 -7, 2017 at the Oakland Marriott City Center: http://apahenational.org.  Student Equity funds will be used to send two to three faculty members to this conference.
  • Olga reported that the rescheduled trip to the Museum of Tolerance took place on February 17, 2017. This Student Equity event was a huge success.
  • Olga reported that the North Inland Live Well Center (County Facility/Social Services building) has a 10,000 square foot Veteran’s Center. Palomar College now has a space there with our own cubicle, two classrooms, break room, etc.  All of these resources are offered at no cost to us and they support outreach to our Veterans DI group as listed in our SE plan.
  • VP Gonzales reported that the College has created a new website to support any AB 540/Immigrant Resources: https://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ab540andimmigrantresources/.  The purpose of this website is to provide AB 540 and immigrant resources/facts to students, faculty and staff.  It will also serve as a central location for information around these topics.
  • VP Gonzales also reported that the College created another website to support Title IX and Campus SaVE Act: https://www2.palomar.edu/pages/titleixcampussaveact/.  This website will also serve as a centralized location for information related to this topic

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Student Success and Equity Council website:    http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ssec/

SSEC (2/10/17)

The following action and discussion took place at the February 10, 2017 meeting of the Student Success & Equity Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION ITEMS

  • M2C3 Survey Administration Update – Olga Diaz – The M2C3 Survey was administered to students in class during the fall 2016 semester.  Approximately120 courses were selected to participate. The information collected was delivered to researchers at San Diego State University and the results will be returned in about a month.  An open presentation will then be conducted on campus once all information is gathered.
  • Student Equity Spring 2017 Activities
    • Student Equity Spring 2017 Book/Movie schedule – Olga Diaz provided a schedule of the Student Equity book and film topics.  The series takes place on Monday evenings during the spring 2017 semester at 4:30 p.m. in the Student Equity & Advocacy Leadership (SEAL) Center/SU-19.  Everyone is welcome to attend.
  • Museum of Tolerance Tour Update – Olga Diaz reported that the field trip was rescheduled to February 17, 2017.
  • Conference Opportunities:
    • A2MEND – March 1-3, 2017 at the Westin LAX in Los Angeles – VP Gonzales asked that anyone interested in attending to promptly let the Council know.
    • HACU – October 28-30, 2017 at the Hilton San Diego Bayfront – VP Gonzales and President Blake would like to send a team of individuals to the HACU conference.  President Blake is assisting with the planning of the conference.   Early Bird Registration is $309 per person for students and $603 for faculty and staff.  It was suggested that we extend the invite to peer mentors, ambassadors and ASG.
  • Palomar College Promise Update – VP Gonzales reported that the launch date is February 22, 2017 in the Brubeck Theatre from 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.  The Palomar Promise is a significant and historical event for Palomar College.  The Palomar Promise is a one-year program but the College is working on developing a second year experience (SYE) for students.
  • Workgroups Report Out
    • Retention – Cindy Anfinson and Nancy Moreno reported that they are researching how students are being directed to our high touch programs (Athletics, DRC, FYE, TRIO).
    • Pathways – Glyn Bongolan reported that they are working on establishing shared knowledge and vocabulary that will assist them in moving forward with the introduction of Pathways to faculty and how Pathways fits with the bigger picture of redesigning the College.
    • Access & Outreach – Marty Snyder reported that they are looking at the disproportionate impact groups on campus and researching what barriers they have to accessing our services. They also discussed planning events that reach out and showcase Palomar College values to the military and Veterans.
  • SSSP/SE Budget update – Olga gave a quick update on funding.  The current budget for 2016-17 SSSP is $3,305,678.  Many positions are being paid for out of the SSSP budget, particularly in Counseling.  Olga is in the process of hiring a business specialist who will help with making sure that reporting is being reviewed more frequently and on a more consistent basis.  The allocation of Student Equity funds for this year is $1,815,640.  All of the funds have been allocated out to fund salaries, benefits and prior approved SE projects.
  • SE/SSSP/BSI Discussion – Olga reported that the state is conducting workshops and seminars to collect college feedback around best practices.  There is a small task force that has been formed.
  • Council Reading Update: Redesigning America’s Community Colleges – A Clearer Path to Student Success (Chapters 5 – 6) – Olga reported that Kelly Falcone created a blog on the Professional Development website    http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/pd/category/reimagine-palomar/ to give book readers an opportunity for online group discussion.  An in person discussion group is being held on second and fourth Fridays from 8:00 – 9:00 a.m. in AA-140.
  • OTHER BUSINESS
    Olga Diaz reported that Bryan Stevenson will be presenting to our students, faculty and staff on March 7, 2018. He is the author of a best-selling book titled, Just Mercy.  The book discusses the correlation between a lack of education and serving a prison sentence.  The Concert Hall at the California Center for the Arts in Escondido has been reserved for the event.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Student Success and Equity Council website:    http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ssec/

 

SSEC (11/18/16)

ACTION ITEMS/FIRST READING

  • Approve paying the $1,000.00 UMOJA Consortium Fee
    • Motion:  MSC (Sourbeer/Stockert):  A motion was made to pay the $1,000.00 UMOJA consortium fee with Student Equity funds.
    • Result:  Motion Approved.

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION ITEMS

  • UMOJA Conference November 4-5, 2016 – update
    • Letty Aguirre reported that she is working on the UMOJA membership application which is due before February 2017.  The membership will allow Palomar College to have an UMOJA program on our campus and provide us with member benefits.  Cindy Anfinson reported that she, Letty Aguirre and Sierra Lovelace attended a workshop titled Starting Your Umoja Program at Your Campus.  She noted that once a letter of intent is submitted then a team including a coordinator, faculty member, student service representative, tutoring support, etc. will need to be identified.  Student Ambassador Jose Juarez reported that he had the opportunity to learn a lot about culture and develop his leadership skills.  He also noted an area of concern is retention for African American students once they begin attending Palomar College.  He mentioned that a benefit of peer mentors is that they are able to motivate new students and share their knowledge and experience.  Student Ambassador Nyawal Tut reported there is great benefit to having a SEAL center (formerly Club Hub) where students can meet with other students and also receive tutoring from instructors.  VP Gonzales advised the Council to begin discussing this with their constituent groups and we are looking into implementing this program in fall 2017.  There was further discussion on paying the UMOJA consortium fee.
    • Motion:  MSC (O’Brien/Sivert):  A motion was made to move paying the UMOJA consortium fee of $1,000.00 to an Action Item.
    • Result:  Motion Approved.
  • M2C3 Survey Administration Update
    • Olga Diaz reported that 118 courses were randomly selected and the M2C3 survey was administered to each class.  Once the administration is complete in early December 2016, the surveys will be submitted to San Diego State University to be scanned and an analysis will be prepared for us by an M2C3 team.  They will then visit our campus in spring 2017 to discuss their findings.
  • Museum of Tolerance Tour – December 2, 2016
    • Olga Diaz reported that Student Equity will be hosting an educational excursion to the Museum of Tolerance on December 2, 2016 with lunch at Factors Famous Deli.
  • Spring 2017 Equity Activities
    • Olga Diaz proposed a list of seventeen “equity” movies to be viewed by students in the SEAL Center over the spring 2017 semester.  Pizza, popcorn and water will be provided.  There was consensus among the Council to move forward with this effort.
  • Student Equity Conferences procedures
    • VP Gonzales reported that once approval has been provided by the SSEC for an individual to attend a conference, that person will need to complete their travel paperwork and obtain the appropriate signatures prior to attending the conference.
  • Tutoring Committee Discussion
    • VP Sourbeer reported that we have many different tutoring venues on campus and we are looking to centralize them.  It was suggested that the Tutoring Committee may be better housed under the SSEC.  Travis will lead this discussion at the Faculty Senate and report back to the SSEC with any input he receives.
  • Workgroups Report Out
    1. Student Pathways – Glyn Bongolan reported that the Council is currently reading Redesigning America’s Community College – A Clearer Path to Students Success and the entire campus now has access to read this book. They are also working on mapping our degrees, certificates and career pathways.
    2. Retention – Cindy Anfinson reported they discussed the word “retention” in detail, success indicators from the Student Equity plan and the goals linked to them.
    3. Access & Outreach – David Vasquez reported they are working on the mission/value statement for Veterans and are using the Palomar College mission statement as a guide. Dean Kahn reported that he met with Trustee McNamara and some of his colleagues at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot Command Museum in San Diego to get some ideas around access for Veterans.  He received several tangible ideas to increase access to this disproportionate impact group.
  • Discussion on the Current Political Climate
    • VP Gonzales advised that he received a message to add this item to our agenda.
    • Motion:  A motion was made to add a Discussion on the Current Political Climate to the agenda as an        Information/Discussion Item.
    • Result:  MSC – (O’Brien/Sanchez):  Motion approved.
    • There was discussion on how to best support our students who are struggling in light of the recent United States President Election results.  Martha Martinez advised that the AB 540/Undocumented/Mixed Status Student committee meets from 3:00 – 4:00 p.m. on the 2nd Thursdays of the month in SU-203.  The next meeting is scheduled for December 8, 2016.  She reported that a two-year license was purchased to view the screening of a documentary titled Indivisible.  VP Gonzales advised the Council that Behavioral Health Services are available to students and they can be reached at 760-744-1150 x2381.   Additionally, Employee Assistance Service for Educators (EASE) is available to full-time employees and they can be reached at 800-722-EASE (3273).  It was suggested to hold additional Campus forums, Professional Development opportunities and a “Day of Dialogue” around diversity for students and staff.  Olga advised the Council that Student Equity week will be expanded into a month in 2017.

OTHER BUSINESS

  • VP Gonzales reported that President Blake will be hosting a Campus Leadership retreat on Friday, December 9, 2016. He gave the Council an option for Workgroups to meet that day for the full two hours since all three tri-chairs will be at the retreat.  There was consensus among the Council to have a Workgroup only meeting on that day.
  • VP Gonzales reported that we are in the process of developing the details of the Palomar Promise. We are hoping to have funding in place by fall 2017.  Dialogue has begun to incorporate linking FYE into the Palomar Promise.

SSEC (10/14/16)

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION ITEMS

  • Review Fall 2016 Funding Requests – The following Student Equity Funding Requests were reviewed and ranked by each SSEC member.  There was consensus among the Council to fund all of the requests presented.
    • ESL Recognition Events – Lee Chen
      • Description: Recognition events of ESL student progress.
      • Target Population: ESL & Basic Skills Completion for Hispanics, Males, Students w/Disabilities.
      • Goals: Increase engagement among ESL & Basic Skills students. Increase participation in student support activities (tutoring, campus services).
    • Spanish Translation of Campus Documents – Dean Jack Kahn
      • Description: Translate campus services materials into Spanish.
      • Target Population: ESL & Basic Skills student populations.
      • Goals: Increase retention and success of Spanish-dominant ESL students in various programs. Increase student and family accessibility to student support service information.
    • Service Learning – Dr. Laurel Anderson
      • Description: Provide active, service-focused community based learning for students.
      • Target Population: Veterans, Foster Youth, African American, Latino, Ages 25-29, Students w/Disabilities
      • Goals: Provide extensive outreach and support for DI students participating in SL.  Increase student retention and engagement.
    • Library, Dashboard Lessons – Marlene Forney/April Cunningham
      • Description: Update and maintain Dashboard Lesson content and provide 24-hour access to information literacy lessons.
      • Target Population: DI students pursuing degrees/certificates or transfer.
      • Goals: Increase use of self-paced online dashboard lessons focused on information literacy among DI students. Establish interface with PeopleSoft and track impact of usage.
    • Library, Student Performances – Marlene Forney
      • Description: In-reach initiative featuring library/theater/student performances about facing adversity w/Black History Month theme.
      • Target Population: All students visiting library with focus on sharing information library services to DI students.
      • Goals: Highlight available library support services for DI students.
    • Athletics, Tutoring – Steve White
      • Description: Provide need-specific tutoring support to athletes.
      • Target Population: DI student athletes including African American and Students w/Disabilities.
      • Goals: Increase degree completion of African American and Students w/Disabilities who are also athletes.
    • Veteran’s Outreach Specialist – Pete Ordille
      • Description: Hire outreach specialist to work with military transition team to reach active duty personnel leaving service and entering public safety education                                 programs at Palomar.
      • Target Population: Veterans
      • Goals: Increase access and number of veterans seeking public safety training/certification at Palomar.
    • STAR Tutoring – Ruth Barnaba
      • Description: Provide direct outreach to DI students about tutoring support services. Provide tutoring to DI students.
      • Target Population: All DI populations
      • Goals: Increase course completion, degree/certification completion, transfer for DI students through academic support/tutoring services.
  • Workgroups Report Out
    • Access and Outreach: Dean Jack Kahn reported that they are still in the beginning stages.  They are working on creating a Mission and Value statement for our Veteran students and providing information out to our active duty military students.
    • Retention: Martha Martinez reported they have implemented a student survey to find out why students have stopped attending college.
    • Student Pathways: Travis Ritt reported that they have reached out to departments to get feedback from them before moving forward.

Meeting was adjourned at 10:59 a.m.

SSEC (9/23/16)

The Student Success & Equity Council met on September 23, 2016.  Vice President of Student Service Adrian Gonzales called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m.

 

ACTION ITEMS/SECOND READING

  • SSEC Governance Structure Membership Change

-Adding a Student Equity Counselor and Removing one Counseling Faculty – Patrick O’Brien

There are currently two faculty Counselors as appointed by the Faculty Senate on the SSEC membership.  The request is to reduce that down to one and add the Student Equity Counselor.

Motion:  MSC (O’Brien/Sourbeer):  A motion was made to add the Student Equity Counselor to SSEC and remove one Counseling Faculty member.

Result:  Motion Approved.

The proposed will now be taken to SPC for review and approval.

 

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION ITEMS

Upcoming Conference Opportunities:

The following conference opportunities were announced:

  • Academic Academy Institute 2016

October 7-8, 2016

Costa Mesa, CA

$465.00

Professional development opportunity, focused on counseling and instructional faculty. Letty Aguirre, P.J. DeMaris, Nimoli Madan and Fergal O’Doherty were selected to attend.

 

  • IEPI/Academic Senate Guided Pathways

January 26-27, 2017

Orange County, CA

$465.00

Colleges are being encouraged to bring a team of people.  A preliminary announcement has been made regarding the dates of this conference.  Davis Jenkins, senior researcher of the book Redesigning America’s Community College – A Clearer Path to Student Success will be the keynote speaker.  More information is forthcoming.  Student Equity funding will support those who attend.

 

  • Get Focused… Stay Focused!

October 10, 2016

Poway Adult School, 13626 Twin Peaks Road, Poway, CA 92064

Free

One-day workshop focused on ensuring that every student enters college with an informed major and a skills-based education plan.  Community College Deans, CTE Directors, Principals and other decision makers are invited to attend.

 

  • UMOJA Conference

November 4-5, 2016

LAX Hilton

$299.00

VP Gonzales announced that Letty Aguirre will be attending this annually along with one Student Services faculty member and one faculty member from Instruction.  The expectation for those that attend will be to come back and develop a proposal to implement an UMOJA program here on campus.  It is anticipated that Student Equity funds will be available to support implementation.

 

Council Reading Update: Redesigning America’s Community Colleges – A Clearer Path to Student Success – Chapters 3 & 4

The following points were noted for Chapters 3 & 4:

  • Instruction working in collaboration with Student Services – moving from “Pilot” to implementation
  • The Lecture Model may not always be the best option for students’ various learning needs
  • Transmitter vs. Learning Communities – need college-wide support/buy in for expansion
  • Teaching Academies “PACT” Palomar Academy for Collaborative Teaching – bringing this back
  • Student profiles/challenges – poverty/DI Groups/educating beyond the classroom
  • Campus/Student Services – Support Instruction/students
  • Institutional practices – space/place on campus is an issue
  • Cafeteria Professional Development – required vs. independent design
  • Active Learning Leaders conference October 29, 2016 http://all2016.brownpapertickets.com/

The meeting was adjourned at 11:03 a.m.