Palomar College Learning For Success

Comet Information Exchange (CIE)

Connecting Committees and Councils through Communication

Menu

Category: Student Services Planning Council (SSPC)

SSPC (5/10/17)

The following discussion took place at the May 10, 2017 meeting of the Student Services Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION ITEMS

  • Students Against Human Trafficking Committee – Nashelle Brown, Forrest Ponsot and Tessa Redmond presented information on Human Trafficking and Palomar College’s response to it. They reviewed the following points:
    • What is human trafficking
    • The scope of the problem
    • What current recovery centers are doing
    • What Palomar College does (education) and can do
    • Connections

The students created a subcommittee, founded in the spring of 2017.  Their mission statement is:  “We aim to educate, raise awareness, fundraise, and end human trafficking throughout the Palomar College Campus and North County area.”  Their goal is to utilize Palomar College to assist victims in obtaining an education and eventually careers.  Streets > Transition > Education > Career

  • Palomar Promise – Update – Dean Brian Stockert reported that we have received over 1800 applications for the Palomar Promise and 1400 of those were from our feeder high schools. Of those, 900 have filed their FASFA to date.
  • Discover Palomar Event – June 2 & 3, 2017 – Jamie Moss reported that Discover Palomar will be held on June 2 & 3, 2017 in front of the Student Services Center. This three hour event is for new students to complete an educational plan, receive priority registration and get familiar with the degree programs and support services available at Palomar College.
  • Student Affairs:
    • Homelessness Taskforce update – Sherry Titus reported that the group is reviewing all efforts that are currently in place on campus and in the community and they are working on creating connections.
    • Commencement – Sherry announced that commencement is on Friday, May 26, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. on the Football Field.
    • Food Bank Enhancement update – Sherry reported that PTK has been very supportive of the food bank enhancement. The new facility will be run by student volunteers; encouraging students helping students.
  • Student Health CentersJudy Harris reported the following:               
    • Escondido Student Health Center will be closed on Mondays from 8-12 noon during May 2017
    • The HC Building is now known as “Student Health Center”
    • Deadline for applications for the full time College Health Nurse is May 8, 2017
    • Behavioral Health Office will be opening in NB-1 the week of July 3, 2017
    • Crisis Text Line available – text COURAGE to 741741 if in crisis and a response will be received. The more urgent the text message, the more immediate the response will be.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

  • Academic Review Committee – Dr. Magnuson reported that they are reviewing a request a student submitted to obtain an ADT.
  • Student Program Eligibility Appeals Committee – Dr. Magnuson reported they are working on updating policies.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Student Services Planning Council website:   http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/sspc/

SSPC (4/26/17)

The following discussion took place at the April 26, 2017 meeting of the Student Services Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION ITEMS

  • Update on Student Services District BP/AP – Dean Stockert reported that the following Student Services Administrative Procedure was sent to the SSPC for feedback. There were no suggested edits from the Council.  This AP will be moved forward to Policies & Procedures, SPC and then to the Governing Board for final approval.  This concludes the complete review of the Student Services BP/AP’s for this review cycle.
    • AP 5520 – Student Discipline Procedures
  • North Center Equipment and Staffing – Dean Stockert reported the Student Services management team is in the process of creating initial staffing, furniture, fixtures and equipment (FFE) estimates for each area that will be represented at this site. There have been recent architectural, building and planning changes that indicate we will now have double the amount of space then what we previously had available.  Portables will be in place to ensure the opening in the summer of 2018.  The college plans to advertise for the North and South Center positions in the fall of 2017.
  • South Center Equipment and Staffing – Dean Stockert reported that we are in the process of creating initial staffing, furniture, fixtures and equipment (FFE) estimates for each Student Services area that will be represented at this site. The college is planning for the opening to occur in the summer of 2018.  The college plans to advertise for the North and South Center positions in the fall of 2017.
  • Career Center Director – Patrick O’Brien reviewed this item from the last SSPC meeting on April 12, 2017. The Counseling department proposed changing this position to a full-time Educational Administrator.  This change was listed as an action item on the Counseling department’s agenda at the March 22, 2017 meeting and the motion passed.  The Council was asked to take this information to their constituent groups and bring feedback to this meeting.  There was no feedback from constituent groups.  Dean Stockert reported we are in the process of looking at best practices in the region around this model and this Educational Administrator would report to the Dean of Counseling.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

  • Behavioral Health & Campus Wellness Committee – Dean Stockert reported that they are planning to hold campus-wide trainings on reporting roles, policies and procedures to support Behavioral Health on campus. He also reported that Apolinar Mariscal, Adjunct Math Instructor is working on updating the Behavioral Health and Campus Wellness website.  Lori Meyers reported that they are working on launching a peer educator program beginning in the spring of 2018.  The peer educators will hold 30-40 presentations each semester on depression coping strategies, suicide prevention and stress management.  The peer educators will be trained in the fall of 2017 to prepare for the spring 2018 launch.
  • Registration Committee – Jamie Moss reported that the committee is working on creating a 2-year planning cycle.

OTHER BUSINESS

  • Dean Stockert reported on the following hiring updates:
    • A DRC Director has been selected, pending Governing Board approval on May 9, 2017.
    • John Lewis, our new Business Systems Analyst in Enrollment Services began his full time employment on April 12, 2017.
    • A second Business Systems Analyst in SSSP has been selected, pending Governing Board approval on May 9, 2017.
    • The search committee for the Foundation Executive Director is in the process of selecting candidates to interview.
    • The search committee for the Chief of Police is in the process of selecting candidates to interview.
    • The search committee for the Director of Student Health Centers is in the process of selecting candidates to interview.
    • The search committee for the Student Affairs Supervisor is in the process of selecting candidates to interview.
    • The search committee for the Associate Dean for Strong Workforce is in the process of selecting a candidate.
    • Kathy Kailikole, Ed.D. has been selected as the permanent Dean of Mathematics and the Natural and Health Sciences. Her effective date will be July 1, 2017.
    • The VPHRS position will be posted soon.
  • Jamie Moss reported that students will be able to view the 2017-18 BOGW eligibility this week.  Information regarding their eServices To-Do list for the 2017-18 academic year will be available within the next two weeks.
  • Dean Stockert reported that we will be hiring a consultant with SSSP funds to assist us with implementing Degree Audit.
  • Dean Stockert reported that we will be holding Maverick training to teach staff members how to better use our PeopleSoft tools. The training will initially be made available for 20 people.  This training will assist us in using PeopleSoft the way it was intended and help to weed out much of the customization we have created.
  • Dean Stockert reported that the Student Success and Equity Council is reviewing how funds are being distributed. We are integrating BSI/SSSP/NCSSSP/SE per direction from the Chancellor’s Office.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Student Services Planning Council website:    http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/sspc/

SSPC (4/12/17)

The following discussion took place at the April 12, 2017 meeting of the Student Services Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION ITEMS

  • Pronouns and Preferred Names – Abbie Cory reviewed this website: http://www.theblaze.com/news/2016/12/30/my-pronouns-are-college-library-workers-wear-buttons-announcing-preferred-gender-pronouns/ Abbie passed around a sample button showing preferred gender pronoun names.  Sherry Titus advised that she will take this information to the ASG and discuss funding the buttons through them.  VP Gonzales mentioned bringing awareness of this forward during Plenary and Club rush during the fall of 2017 and then bringing it forward on a yearly basis.  Sherry and Abbie will meet to discuss planning these events.
  • Need Member from SSPC to Serve on SSEC – VP Gonzales advised the Council that there is a position available on SSEC for a faculty member from SSPC. The SSEC will be holding meetings in the summer of 2017 due to the integration of the SSSP/SE/BSI plans.  Abbie Cory showed interest and will advise the Council if she plans on serving.
  • Career Center Director – Patrick reported that historically the person in this position has been a Faculty Counselor who receives 50% release time to serve as the Career Center Director. The Counseling department has proposed changing this position to a full-time Educational Administrator.  This change was listed as an action item on the Counseling department’s agenda at the March 22, 2017 meeting and the motion passed.  Patrick presented a list of pros and cons around this change.  VP Gonzales reported that we will discuss this as an institution and review other Career Center models in the region.  He recommended that each constituent group discuss this with their members and bring any feedback to the SSPC meeting on April 26, 2017.
  • Resources for Homeless Students – Sherry reported that the student food and housing insecurities have become more prevalent at our institution. She suggested we create a Task Force to support this group of students.  Lisa Cecere, Mark DiMaggio, Dr. Kendyl Magnuson, Lori Meyers, Michelle LaVigueur and Sherry Titus offered to be part of this team to ensure that resources are available for this student group.  Lori Meyers mentioned that the website http://www.211.org/ is a free and confidential service that helps the community find local resources.
  • Student Health Centers:
    • SHC Departmental Visits – Judy Harris and a Behavioral Health Counselor have been attending department meetings to inform them about our student health services.
    • HIPAA/FERPA Seminar – This seminar which is sponsored by the Chancellor’s Office will be held on Friday, 4/21/17 in SSC-1. There will also be a Subpoena workshop immediately following at 2:30 p.m. in the same location.
    • Mini Grant for May Mental Health Month – The Student Health Centers received a $1,000.00 mini grant to help support Mental Health Awareness.
  • Update on Student Services District BP/AP – VP Gonzales reported that the following Student Services Board Policies and Administrative Procedures were sent to the Council for feedback. There were no suggested edits from the Council.  They will be moved forward to Policies & Procedures, SPC and then to the Governing Board for final approval.
    • AP 5130 – Financial Aid, Veterans’ & Scholarship Services
    • AP 5055 – Enrollment Priorities

COMMITTEE REPORTS

  • Academic Review Committee – Dr. Magnuson reported that they have two petitions they are reviewing.
  • Behavioral Health & Campus Wellness Committee – Dean Stockert reported they will meet on April 13, 2017.
  • Campus Police Committee – Mark DiMaggio reported that Connie Sterling has agreed to be the Chair of this committee. They are re-routing cars around the Early Childhood Education Lab School to improve safety.
  • Registration Committee – Dr. Magnuson reported that they met last month and covered the following:
    • New legislation was released from the Chancellor’s Office stating that students with a homeless insecurity can achieve priority registration I and BOGW eligibility for up to 6 years.
    • The FYE program submitted a request which was approved for students in their 2nd term to receive priority registration level 4.
  • Scholarship Committee – Dr. Magnuson reported that they received 390 applications and 140 did not complete all the steps. 250 were submitted and completed and $157,000 was awarded.
  • Student Program Eligibility Appeals Committee – Dr. Magnuson reported that they have not received any petitions this year.

OTHER BUSINESS

  • VP Gonzales reported that Sexual Assault Awareness posters were created and are being posted in each classroom.
  • VP Gonzales reported on the following hiring updates:
    • The VPHRS search will be going out a third time.
    • The new VPI will be announced this week.
    • Kathy Kailikole, Ed.D. has been selected as the permanent Dean of Mathematics and the Natural and Health Sciences. Her effective date will be July 1, 2017.
    • The search committee for the Foundation Executive Director is meeting this week. The goal is to have a new director in place this June 2017.
    • The search committee for the permanent Student Health Services Director is in place.
    • The search committee for the Chief of Police is in place.
    • A DRC Director has been selected, pending Governing Board approval on May 9, 2017.
  • VP Gonzales reported that we are working on establishing better parameters around applying for grants. Supervisors and managers should be advised of any grants that an employee may apply for.
  • Building projects:
    • We are in the process of developing plans for the new Student Services building and the new Athletics complex.
    • The work on the South Center and North Center are under way.
    • The Veterans Center should be ready for fall 2017.
    • The Camp Pendleton Education Center will be relocating to a new building by spring 2018.
  • VP Gonzales reported that we have received over 750 applications for FYE and of those; over 500 were eligible for the Palomar Promise.
  • Lori Meyers reported that there have been some challenges at the DRC with multiple measures. VP Gonzales suggested that she meet with Michelle Barton to address this concern, as IRP already has a group of people addressing this.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Student Services Planning Council website:    http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/sspc/

SSPC (3/22/17)

The following discussion took place at the March 22, 2017 meeting of the Student Services Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION ITEMS

  • Need Member from SSPC to Serve on SSEC – VP Gonzales advised the Council that there is a position available on SSEC for a faculty member from SSPC. There were no volunteers at this time.  We will revisit this item in the fall 2017 semester.
  • Review 2016-17 PRP’s – VP Gonzales advised we need to have a more consistent approach with our SAO’s and to also find ways to ensure our data collection is cleaner across the board. We will identify who our SAO Coordinator is and reach out to that person to guide us through the process.
    • Counseling – Non-Instructional – Patrick O’Brien reviewed this PRP.
    • EOPS/CARE and CalWORKs – Brian Stockert reviewed this PRP.
    • Transfer Center – Elvia Nunez reviewed this PRP.
  • Update on Student Services BP/AP – VP Gonzales reported that the following Student Services BP’s and AP’s were sent to the Council for feedback. There were no suggested edits from the Council.  They will be moved forward to Policies & Procedures, SPC and then to the Governing Board for final approval.  Item 3c will be tabled until the next meeting on April 12, 2017 as our new Director of Financial Aid, Adrianne Lee is making edits to this AP.
    • AP 5015 – Residence Determination
    • AP 5070 – Attendance
    • AP 5130 – Financial Aid, Veterans’ & Scholarship Services – Tabled.
    • AP 5300 – Student Equity
  • IEPI Visit on 3/17/17 – VP Gonzales reported on the IEPI visit took place on March 17, 2017. The visiting team gave us a lot of positive and complimentary feedback.  They will make recommendations at their next visit in April 2017 and will return again in fall of 2018.   They focused on the following items:
    • Enrollment Management – Current processes and suggestions for improvement
    • Human Resources – Hiring process, hiring committees, time management, etc.
    • Communications – Shared governance and communications reaching all constituent groups
  • North Center Update – VP Gonzales reported that the land at the North Center has been graded. The Center will include temporary mobile buildings while the permanent buildings are being constructed.  We will be offering General Education classes, Biological Sciences and possibly Public Safety classes beginning in the fall of 2018.
  • South Center Update -VP Gonzales reported that the South Center is currently being remodeled. The Groundbreaking took place on March 3, 2017.  We will be offering classes starting in the fall of 2018.  We will be offering General Education classes, Technology classes and CTE classes.  Staffing is currently being discussed at the VP Student Services Cabinet.  A PowerPoint of both the North and South Centers will be sent out to the SSPC.
  • Student Health Centers:
    • New Behavioral Health Counselor – Mariana Guzman
    • Outreach Activities – Judy Harris and Dr. Jean Cook will be discussing Mental Health resources on campus at Classified Speaks on March 23, 2017. This information will also be discussed at Classified Staff Development Day on March 28, 2017.
    • Planned Parenthood Event – This will be held on April 5, 2017 from 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. in Student Quad.

OTHER BUSINESS

  • VP Gonzales reported that there is a regional initiative to offer services to formerly incarcerated students. We will be identifying a liaison to lead this effort.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Student Services Planning Council website:    http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/sspc/

SSPC (3/8/17)

The following discussion took place at the March 8, 2017 meeting of the Student Services Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION ITEMS

  • Review 2016-17 PRP’s
  • Police Department – Chief DiMaggio reviewed this PRP.
  • Pride Center – Abbie Cory reviewed this PRP.
  • Student Affairs – Sherry Titus reviewed this PRP.
  • Student Health Centers – Judy Harris reviewed this PRP.
  • SPPF Requests – We received a total of five SPPF requests.  One was received after the deadline (Michelle Vogel Trautt – Peer Health Educator Program for $20,000.00).  This SPPF request did not move forward, as the deadline was not met. The SPPF requests below that receive a consensus from the Council to move forward, will go to Executive Cabinet for further review and then to SPC for a broader discussion.  SPPF requests will then be supported based upon ranking and the availability of funding. It was suggested that we create a workshop on submitting SPPF requests as some had difficulty meeting the requirements for submission.
    • Melinda Carrillo – Reading Services In-reach Program ($2,800.00) – VP Gonzales reviewed this SPPF request. It generally met the criteria and will be moved forward for further discussion.
    • Patricia Rodriguez – FYRST Textbook Assistance ($16,000.00) – VP Gonzales reviewed this SPPF. This SPPF request will not be sent forward, as it did not meet the Strategic Plan objectives.  It needed to be more fully developed and should have included collaboration with others on campus.
    • Veronica Aguilera/Calvin Onedeer Gavin – FYRST San Pasqual Dual Enrollment/Counseling Section ($9,600.00) – VP Gonzales reviewed this SPPF request. This SPPF request will not be send forward.  SPPF requests do support course development, but not course scheduling.  This request should have included collaboration with others on campus.  We will look into other funding sources to support this request.
    • Veronica Aguilera/Calvin Onedeer Gavin – Technology Updates – EOPS, CARE, CalWORKs, FYRST ($7,598.00) – VP Gonzales reviewed this SPPF request. We will get more clarity around the equipment and software requests and move it forward for further discussion.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Student Services Planning Council website:    http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/sspc/

Tags: ,

SSPC (2/8/17)

The following action and discussion took place at the February 8, 2017 meeting of the Student Services Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION ITEMS

  • Review 2016-17 PRP’s
    • Athletics – Scott Cathcart reviewed this PRP.
    • Counseling – Instructional – Patrick O’Brien reviewed this PRP.
    • International Students – Yasue O’Neill reviewed this PRP.
  • Update on Student Services District BP/AP – VP Gonzales advised that the following Student Services Board Policies and Administrative Procedures were sent to the Council for feedback.  There were no suggested edits from the Council.  They will be moved forward to Policies & Procedures, SPC and then to the Governing Board for final approval.
    • AP 5075 – Course Adds and Drops
    • AP 5110 – Counseling Services
    • AP 5120 – Transfer Center
    • AP 5140 – DRC/DSPS
    • AP 5160 – Gear Up Program
    • AP 5170 – TRIO Program
    • AP 5510 – Off-Campus Student Organizations
    • AP 5610 – Voter Registration
    • AP 5700 – Athletics
    • AP 5900 – Prevention of Identity Theft in Student Financials
  • Promise Program Framework – VP Gonzales reported that the Palomar Promise grant proposal was sent to the Chancellor’s Office earlier this month, to meet the February 3, 2017 deadline.  The Palomar Promise will provide support to incoming freshman from Early Preparation > FYE > SYE > Completion.  The Palomar Promise will work in conjunction with many other student support services on campus such as dual/concurrent enrollment, summer academies, early alert, Transfer Center, Career Center, tutoring, retention, etc.
  • High School Concurrent/Dual Enrollment – VP Gonzales reported he met with a group from Instruction and Counseling last week to discuss how to reorganize AB 288 to allow us to work more closely with the high schools.  They are working on creating a menu of classes to offer to our district high schools.  Patrick O’Brien reported that all four classes offered to San Marcos High School, Mission Hills High School, Ramona High School and Fallbrook High School were filled for the spring 2017 semester.
  • AB 540/Immigrant Student Support – VP Gonzales reported that Student Services has created a website to include resources to our AB 540/Immigrant students.  The website will include statements, information, facts and resources for our students, faculty and staff.
  • Hiring FT Counselor(s) for Fall 2017 – Patrick O’Brien reported they currently have twenty-one full-time counselors and are in need of more.  He requested hiring two full time Counselors and the Council agreed that we can hire one Counselor now.  There was discussion on the various positions that need to be filled in Student Services areas.  VP Gonzales reported that we have hired over fifty classified positions, almost thirty faculty and several administrators since the SERP.

OTHER BUSINESS

  • VP Gonzales gave an update on the recent W-2 data breach. The breach was recognized through our regular IS monitoring and quickly blocked the port of entry of the breach.  An investigation is still ongoing.  There is an offer for 1 year of identity protection available to Palomar College employees.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Student Services Planning Council website:    http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/sspc/

SSPC (12/14/16)

The following action and discussion took place at the December 14, 2016 meeting of the Student Services Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION ITEMS

  • Review 2016-17 PRP’s
    • Assessment – Dean Stockert reviewed this PRP.
    • Career Center – Rosie Antonecchia reviewed this PRP.
    • DRC – Instructional – Dean Stockert reviewed this PRP.
    • DRC –Non-Instructional – Dean Stockert reviewed this PRP.
    • Evaluations & Records – Dr. Magnuson reviewed this PRP.
    • Financial Aid, Veterans & Scholarships – Dr. Magnuson reviewed this PRP.
    • Police Department – This PRP was tabled until the next SSPC meeting on February 8, 2017.
  • Update on Student Services District BP/AP

The following Chapter 5, Student Services Board Policies & Administrative Procedures were reviewed by SSPC and will now move forward to the Policies and Procedures committee for further review.

  • BP 5000 – Student Responsibility
  • BP 5010 – Admissions and Concurrent Enrollment
  • BP 5015 – Residence Determination
  • BP 5020 – Nonresident Tuition
  • BP 5035 – Withholding of Student Records
  • BP 5040 – Student Records: Directory Information/Privacy
  • BP 5045 – Student Records: Challenging Content and Assess Log
  • BP 5050 – Student Success and Support Program
  • BP 5052 – Open Enrollment
  • BP 5055 – Enrollment Priorities
  • BP 5075 – Course Adds and Drops
  • BP 5110 – Counseling Services
  • BP 5120 – Transfer Center
  • BP 5130 – Financial Aid, Veterans & Scholarship Services
  • BP 5140 – DSPS/DRC
  • BP 5150 – EOPS
  • BP 5200 – Health Services
  • BP 5210 – Communicable Disease
  • BP 5220 – Shower Facilities for Homeless Students
  • BP 5300 – Student Equity
  • BP 5400 – ASG
  • BP 5410 – ASG Elections
  • BP 5510 – Off-Campus Student Organizations
  • BP 5570 – Student Credit Card Solicitors
  • BP 5700 – Athletics
  • BP 5900 – Prevention of Identity Theft in Student Financials
  • AP 5010 – Admissions and Concurrent Enrollment
  • AP 5013 – Students in the Military
  • AP 5020 – Nonresident Tuition
  • AP 5031 – Instructional Material Fees
  • AP 5035 – Withholding of Student Records
  • AP 5040 – Student Records, Directory Information and Privacy
  • AP 5045 – Student Records – Challenging Content and Access Log
  • AP 5050 – SSSP
  • AP 5052 – Open Enrollment
  • AP 5150 – EOPS
  • AP 5200 – Student Health Centers
  • AP 5210 – Communicable Disease
  • AP 5220 – Shower Facilities for Homeless Students
  • AP 5400 – ASG
  • AP 5410 – ASG Elections
  • AP 5570 – Student Credit Card Solicitors

OTHER BUSINESS

  • New Student Services Center Update – VP Gonzales reported that we are focused on all of Student Services being housed in the new Student Services Center. More information will be forthcoming over the next couple of months.
  • Palomar Promise Update – VP Gonzales reported that the focus of the Palomar Promise has shifted from a Financial Aid focus to more of a comprehensive Student Success initiative. A proposal will be submitted to the Chancellor’s Office by February 3, 2017 for $750,000.00 over two years to enhance the Palomar Promise to include the following five components:
    • Financial Aid
    • College preparation
    • First Year Experience (FYE) program
    • Second Year Experience (SYE) program
    • Completion
  • Governing Board meeting on December 13, 2016 – VP Gonzales reported that our new Trustee, Nina Deerfield was sworn in at this Governing Board meeting. He also reported that the following retirements, effective June 30, 2017 were approved:
    • Rich Talmo, Director of Development
    • Mark DiMaggio, Chief of Police
  • Current Climate on Campus – VP Gonzales reported that many in our campus community are feeling either uncertainty or discomfort around the recent elections. He advised that our first focus is to support one another and foster a climate of inclusion.  There will be more discussion in the coming weeks and months to allow faculty, staff and students to process any changes that may come forward.  A website will be created where credible information will be housed in relation to this topic.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Student Services Planning Council website:    http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/sspc/

SSPC (11/9/16)

The following action and discussion took place at the November 9, 2016 meeting of the Student Services Planning Council:

  • INFORMATION/DISCUSSION ITEMS
    • Payment Plan Review – Carmen Coniglio reviewed the new Nelnet Enterprise Payment Plan for students.  The plan is now live and benefits our students by offering them an alternative payment option.  It is integrated with PeopleSoft and transactions are processed in real time.
    • Review 2016-17 PRP’s – VP Gonzales reported that Student Services has a workgroup currently updating our PRP forms to be used next year (2017-18).  He reviewed the following PRP’s:
      • Admissions Office
      • Articulation
    • Update on Student Services District BP/AP
      • BP/AP 5220 – Shower for Homeless Students – VP Gonzales reported that there is new legislation (Assembly Bill No. 1995) requiring that we provide homeless students access to shower facilities.  The VP Student Services Cabinet is in the process of updating BP/AP 5220.  The draft will be brought to SSPC at the next meeting on December 14, 2016.
  • OTHER BUSINESS
    • VP Gonzales reported that the Search Committee for the VPHRS position completed their first level interviews on October 28, 2016.  Unfortunately, the pool of applicants was not very deep and the committee was not able to identify any candidates to move forward into second level interviews.  The committee unanimously recommended that the College restart the search process.  The position will be posted again next week and will run through January 2017. An email will be sent out soon to the constituent groups asking for members to serve on this hiring committee.
    • Judy Harris reported that La Maestra Community Health Centers is hosting a Mobile 3D Mammogram event today, November 9, 2016 from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. in Parking lot 6.
    • Ryan Williams reported the Veterans Services department will be hosting a Veterans Day Ceremony on Thursday, November 10, 2016 on the lawn in front of the Student Union.
    • Patrick O’Brien reported that the Counseling Department hosted the High School Counselor Conference on Friday, November 4, 2016 in the Student Union. A group of 91 high school counselors from our district attended.  They learned about our academic departments, student support programs, updates regarding our new assessment process and dual enrollment opportunities.  They also heard from current Palomar students and alumni during a student panel.  The feedback was overwhelmingly positive with 73% of counselors reporting that the conference expanded their knowledge of the programs and services offered at Palomar.

Meeting was adjourned at 11:04 a.m.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Student Services Planning Council website:  http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/sspc

SSPC (10/26/16)

The following action and discussion took place at the October 26, 2016 meeting of the Student Services Planning Council

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION ITEMS

  • New Member Introduced – Deanna Shoop, Manager of Outreach
  • Update on Student Services District BP/AP – The Student Services BP/AP’s listed below were reviewed and will be sent forward to the Policies and Procedures committee.
    1. AP 5012 – International Students
    2. BP 5030 – Fees
    3. AP 5030 – Fees
    4. BP 5420 – ASG Financial Management
    5. AP 5420 – ASG Financial Management
    6. BP 5757 – Parking
    7. AP 5757 – Parking
  • NaBITA Training October 18 – 21, 2016 – Judy Harris gave an update on the NaBITA training that took place October 18-21, 2016.  The Crisis Intervention team which includes Counseling, Student Affairs, Behavioral Health Counseling and Campus Police will be meeting on a monthly basis to review threat assessment, crisis management and case load management.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

  • Academic Review Committee – Dr. Kendyl Magnuson reported that this committee has received three files to review and are considering an online polling system for committee members.
  • Behavioral Health & Campus Wellness Committee – Judy Harris and Sherry Titus reported that they are in the process of updating their website and resources.
  • Campus Police Committee – Chief DiMaggio reported that they are in the process of identifying a new chairperson.
  • Registration Committee – Dr. Kendyl Magnuson reported they finished working on the first round of the registration calendar and will begin working on a 2-year academic calendar in spring 2017.

OTHER BUSINESS

  • Town Hall Forums – November 2, 2016 – VP Gonzales announced that President Blake will be holding two Town Hall Forums on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 in the Governing Board room.  The first will be from 9:30 – 10:30 a.m. and the second will be from 3:30 – 4:30 p.m.
  • Vice President of Human Resource Services update – VP Gonzales reported that the first level interviews for the VP of Human Resources will be on Friday, October 28, 2016.
  • Accreditation Site visit on October 24, 2016 – VP Gonzales reported that the site visit from the ACCJC evaluation team on Monday, October 24, 2016 went well.  The visit began at the Camp Pendleton site at 7:30 a.m. and wrapped up on the main campus by 2:00 p.m.  The recommendations addressed were adequate tutorial support for online students, services at Camp Pendleton commensurate with the offerings at the San Marcos campus and that all constituent groups have an opportunity to serve on councils, committees, subcommittees, task forces and workgroups.  We submitted a report addressing these concerns and walked them through the steps we have taken to align with these recommendations.  Next, the team will write a report based on the information we provided and will submit it to ACCJC.  ACCJC will then respond with a final recommendation.
  • Palomar Promise – VP Gonzales reported that we have partnered with the San Marcos Promise (SMP) to provide financial support to high school graduates from San Marcos Unified School District (SMUSD) who choose to attend Palomar.  The SMP has academic and college readiness criteria that must be met in order for students to receive the “Promise” funding.  Dr. Blake has asked that we expand the Palomar Promise to include all high school graduates in our service area.  The Palomar Promise will not have any specific criteria other than the      requirements that a student graduates from an eligible high school in our service area and that they complete the FAFSA and BOG applications.  More information will be coming out regarding the two promise programs.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Student Services Planning Council website:    http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/sspc

Meeting was adjourned at 11:04 a.m.

SSPC (10/12/16)

The following discussion took place at the October 12, 2016 meeting of the Student Services Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION

  • VP Gonzales reported that Student Services will be completing a one year PRP report this year (2016-17) which is due to the VP office by November 3, 2016. We will begin a three year PRP cycle starting next year (2017-18) using an updated form.  The workgroup that is updating the PRP form is being extended to include members from key Student Services areas.
  • VP Gonzales gave an overview of three components to the Behavioral Health Intervention Structure:  Crisis Intervention, Prevention and Training.
    • Crisis Intervention – Counseling, Student Affairs, Behavioral Health Counseling and /or Campus Police were identified as the core areas and steering committee. The team will review threat assessment, crisis management and case load management of specific students.
    • Prevention – The Behavioral Health and Campus Wellness (BHCW) committee is our shared governance group that focuses on broader prevention strategies to aid in campus behavioral health and wellness. The BHCW committee would be the ideal group to discuss and develop information campaigns, on-going training and preventative strategies.
    • Training – Behavioral Health Intervention Training will be provided periodically to the campus community to ensure that we are equipped with tools to assist students in need. The next Behavioral Health Intervention training will be held October 18 – 21, 2016 for faculty and staff.  Details can be found on the Student Health Centers website: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/healthservices/events/.

OTHER BUSINESS

  • Student Health Centers announced two upcoming activities:
    • National Behavioral Intervention Team Association (NaBita) Training October 18-21, 2016 for faculty and staff.
    • Flu shots are available beginning October 17, 2016. The shots are free to students and are $20.00 for staff and faculty.
  • VP Gonzales reported that the State has delayed plans to implement the Common Assessment in order to do additional validation.  It is unclear as to when the State expects to be ready to roll out the implementation of the Common Assessment.  We currently use Compass for English, Math and Reading assessment (and Accuplacer for math challenges); however, Compass has informed colleges that it will no longer be producing the assessment in November 2016.  As a result, we will be moving to a “multiple measures” model of course placements where by students would answer a series of questions at the time of application and then be placed into courses based on those responses. Our transition to the “multiple measures” model will start with the Spring 2017 testing period.
  • VP Gonzales reported that he, Carmelino Cruz and Olga Diaz attended the SSSP/SE Conference in Sacramento on September 26 – 28, 2016.  The integration of SE/SSSP/BSI at the state-wide level was discussed.  The Chancellor’s Office advised that we will not need to submit an annual plan this year for any of these three initiatives.  However, we will still submit a financial report regarding how the funds are being spent.  There was discussion on the Legislative Analyst Report (LAO) which indicated that California Community Colleges have been following the general intent of SSSP/SE, but the level of implementation varies from college to college.  The report also discussed the need for Student Education Plans (SEP) be integrated with Enrollment Management.
  • Student Services PRP’s are due November 3, 2016 and there will likely be $200,000 in SPPF funding available. More information on SPPF funding will be forthcoming as we receive it from SPC.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Student Services Planning Council website:  http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/sspc/