Palomar College Learning For Success

Comet Information Exchange (CIE)

Connecting Committees and Councils through Communication

Menu

Author: Suzanne Sebring

IPC (9/28/16)

The following discussion took place at the September 28, 2016 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Interim VP Sourbeer welcomed the group and asked for announcements. There were none.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer called for comments from constituencies. Zeb Navarro informed the group that CAST has appointed another member to serve on the Enrollment Strategies Task Force.
  • The minutes of the September 14th, 2016 meeting were approved with one abstention.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer discussed that there have been some legislative changes around Professional Development that requires that all faculty, staff and administrators be eligible to receive professional development. Interim VP Popielski, Kelly Falcone, and Interim VP Sourbeer have been discussing the move to an all-college approach to Professional Development. In order to achieve this unified concept, a change to the governance structure is being proposed. Currently, there is a Professional Development Advisory Board and a Staff Development & Training Committee. The new structure would combine these committees into one unified committee – the Professional Development Committee. The question will be where this committee will report within the governance structure.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer continued the discussion regarding Program Review and Planning (PRP). The workgroup spent the summer examining the PRP process and documents, and coming up with a structure for authentic program review. In this new structure, Program Review (Step 1) will be separated from Resource Allocation (Step 2). In addition, the PRP process would be over three years, with one third of the departments participating in the comprehensive review (Year 1) to allow time for sufficient feedback. Year 2 and Year 3 would be shorter update reports, yet all departments would remain continuously engaged in the PRP process.
  • At the previous meeting, Interim VP Sourbeer asked council members to send any suggestions for changes to Suzanne Sebring, to be incorporated into a final draft of the forms to be brought back to the next meeting for approval. There were only two recommendations for changes. Therefore, the group talked through additional suggestions and changes to the form which were made and subsequently approved.
  • Goals – This item was tabled until the next meeting.
  • Standing Reports/Updates
    • Accreditation: The Accreditation visit will take place on Monday, October 24th. Information regarding the recommendations will be forthcoming to the college community.
    • Enrollment: The Senate has formed an Enrollment Task Force and they are meeting and coming up with ideas.
    • SSEC: They have been talking about pathways and reading a book, “Redesigning America’s Community Colleges”.
    • LOC: Wendy Nelson mentioned that the LOC committee has been discussing ways to strengthen our SLOs.
    • SPC: They are re-forming the Enrollment Strategies Task Force and will be meeting to discuss possibilities.
    • CTEE: No report
    • BSI: No report
  •  Announcements/Other
    • Last year one recruitment for Real Estate/Legal Studies failed. Last year IPC had approved the position as a Real Estate position with a Legal Studies emphasis, but it really needs to be a combined Real Estate/Legal Studies position. They would like IPC to approve that it should be a dual position. Interim VP Sourbeer asked the group to consider and he will bring it forward for action at the next meeting.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Instructional Planning Council Website:

http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/

IPC (9/14/16)

The following discussion took place at the September 14, 2016 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Interim VP Sourbeer welcomed the group and asked for announcements. Michael Mufson mentioned the Performing Arts department currently has a Dialogue Blog regarding race relations. To learn more and participate in this discussion, access http://www2.palomar.edu/performinghearts/.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer called for comments from constituencies. There were none at this time. VP Sourbeer asked that members encourage their departments and/or constituencies to get involved in campus discussions through the Comet Information Exchange (CIE).
  • The minutes of the August 24th, 2016 meeting were approved by unanimous vote.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer informed the council that drafts of the follow-up report have been approved by both Strategic Planning Council (SPC) and the Board. Final revisions are being made and the report is due on October 1st. Accreditation next steps will be discussed at the next meeting.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer discussed the work the Program Review and Planning (PRP) workgroup did this summer examining the PRP process and documents, and coming up with a structure for authentic program review. In this new structure, Program Review (Step 1) will be separated from Resource Allocation (Step 2). In addition, the PRP process would be over three years, with one third of the departments participating in the comprehensive review (Year 1) to allow time for sufficient feedback. Year 2 and Year 3 would be shorter update reports, yet all departments would remain continuously engaged in the PRP process. Discussion ensued regarding strengths and weaknesses in the proposed new structure with the goal of determining whether to implement this new structure this year in order to align with the timeline of the Strategic Plan. Interim VP Sourbeer asked council members to send any suggestions for changes to Suzanne Sebring, to be incorporated into a final draft of the forms and brought back to the next meeting for approval.
  • Goals – This item was tabled until the next meeting.

Standing Reports/Updates

  • Accreditation: See #IV above.
  • Enrollment: We are down about 1.5% right now. We will have a winter intersession and there have been classes added in Fast Track II. Dual enrollment is being targeted for growth. In addition, President Blake met with President Haynes at CSUSM and discussed an opportunity for Palomar to serve veterans on lower level coursework with a pipeline into CSUSM for their upper level coursework. VP Sourbeer discussed the steps taken to reach out to the former ITT Tech students.
  • SSEC: Dean Sivert informed the council that chairs were selected for each workgroup and VP Sourbeer asked that everyone look for the meeting summary on the CIE.
  • LOC: Wendy Nelson mentioned that the LOC committee looked over and commented on the new PRP process/forms.
  • SPC: Enrollment was the primary discussion at the last meeting.
  • CTEE: Dean Fritch gave an update on the Strong Workforce Initiative including the very specific data requirements associated with these funds. There will be training for faculty/staff on how to use the data. Dean Fritch and Jennifer Patel will be giving an informational presentation to Faculty Senate on Monday regarding Dual Enrollment. Barb Blanchard distributed a handout that clarified what type of courses are approved for noncredit FTES funding.
  • BSI: Dean Sivert informed the council they would not be allocating funds this year as they do not know the college’s allocation status for next year.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Instructional Planning Council Website:

http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/

Chairs & Directors (9/2/16)

The first Chairs & Directors meeting of the semester took place on September 2, 2016. Interim Vice President for Instruction Dan Sourbeer called the meeting to order at 1:05 p.m.

  • Dean Sivert introduced Monique Dumbrique and Christine Winterle from Human Resource Services. Together they gave a presentation regarding draft policies and procedures created regarding the establishment of an unassigned part-time faculty pool. This will provide a way for departments to have a pool of vetted part-time faculty ready to assign to last minute openings or substitute positions. Dean Sivert asked those present to review the proposed process and send feedback to her no later than noon on September 9th.
  • Wendy Nelson discussed Student Learning Outcomes, asking chairs to enter any new or changed SLOs into TracDat as links on the website will soon be updated. Next, she discussed how SLO facilitators are designated, indicating that department chairs are ultimately responsible for ensuring the work of the SLO facilitator is complete, though they are able to appoint a designee if necessary.
  • Wendy Nelson invited everyone to a Professional Development Day mini-conference that will be held on Friday, October 7th from 8:00 am-4:15 pm in the Student Union, led by Tom Angelo.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer gave an overview regarding enrollment and related topics. He first explained the factors that contribute to how the college is funded. He further noted the college is in the second year of stability funding (a 3-year process), and our baseline funding we re-bench at the end of FY 17-18.
  • Next, Interim VP Sourbeer discussed how everyone is part of the team when it comes to enrollment management. He shared that enrollment has declined due to several factors including improved economy, loss of community involvement, changes in repeatability, etc. He emphasized the importance of scheduling to serve our students and community. Growth can be achieved through many avenues, including dual enrollment, concurrent enrollment, targeted classes/programs for the military, distance education, and creation/expansion of programs and opportunities with Career Technical and Extended Education (CTEE). The South Center will also offer growth to the District, but not in time to impact the re-benching of our baseline funding. Therefore, the other opportunities for growth need to be addressed immediately as we determine the needs of our community.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer outlined the structure of the newly revised Program Review and Planning process, which will be brought to Instructional Planning Council (IPC) for consideration soon. The new format has one third of the programs going through an in-depth Y1 process at a time, followed by a shorter Y2 and Y3 follow up. More information will be forthcoming.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer briefly discussed the Faculty Obligation Number (FON).  Because our enrollment numbers are down, it is unlikely the college will be hiring faculty from the general fund this year, unless required for program accreditation purposes.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer encouraged everyone to use the Comet Information Exchange (CIE) as a central location for learning about the conversations occurring on campus. This site houses meeting summaries and allows members of the campus community to communicate with their constituency representatives in order to contribute to these discussions.
  • Finally, Interim VP Sourbeer recognized all the work that VP Adrian Gonzales had done last year as Interim President and also commended the Deans on their efforts.

The meeting adjourned at 2:30 p.m.

IPC (8/24/16)

The following discussion took place at the August 24, 2016 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Interim VP Sourbeer welcomed the group and introductions followed. He then called for comments from constituencies. There were none at this time.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer gave a presentation on IPC roles and responsibilities emphasizing the need for constant communication between representatives and their constituency group. He discussed IPCs role in the development, implementation, evaluation and revision to college plans and the program review and planning process. In addition, he described how IPCs goals relate to Strategic Planning Council (SPC) and shared the 5 goals identified by them for focus this year (though not yet finalized), as follows:

Goal 1: Implement instructional strategies that strengthen and connect teaching and learning across the college.

Goal 2: Strengthen efforts to improve outreach, persistence, and student success.

Goal 3: Strengthen the college’s message to our community.

Goal 4: Maintain and support a diverse workforce.

Goal 5: Ensure the fiscal stability of the college and increase enrollments.

  • Interim VP Sourbeer indicated the importance that members maintain a global view and encourage conversation as they serve as a conduit of information to and from the division or constituency group they represent. He asked that members promote the use of the Comet Information Exchange (CIE) https://www.palomar.edu/cie/ to increase awareness and encourage participation. Michelle Barton suggested adding other members to the CIE team to make sure all constituencies were represented.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer explained the factors that contribute to how the college is funded. Some calculations have changed due to the conversion to a compressed calendar. He further detailed the status of the college, which is in the second year of stability funding (a 3-year process). It is imperative that the college make changes now to grow enrollment before our baseline funding is re-benched at the end of FY 17-18.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer discussed how everyone is part of the team when it comes to enrollment management. He shared that enrollment is down due to several factors including improved economy, loss of community involvement, changes in repeatability, etc. The college needs to schedule to serve our students and community. Growth can be achieved through many avenues, including concurrent enrollment, targeted classes/programs for the military, distance education, and creation/expansion of programs and opportunities with the Career Technical and Extended Education (CTEE) areas. The South Center will also offer growth to the District, but not in time to impact the re-benching of our baseline funding. Therefore, the other opportunities for growth need to be addressed immediately. We need to serve our community now.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer briefly discussed the Faculty Obligation Number (FON).  Because our enrollment numbers are down, it is unlikely the college will be hiring faculty from the general fund this year, unless required for program accreditation purposes.
  • Discussions regarding accreditation and PRP forms were pushed to the next IPC meeting.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Instructional Planning Council Website: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/

IPC (5/11/16)

The following discussion took place at the May 11, 2016 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Interim VP Sourbeer solicited questions/comments regarding the PRP priorities as recommended by the Division deans. The priorities were unanimously approved by the council.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer mentioned that accreditation work will continue over the summer.
  • Interim Dean Blanchard distributed a handout showing Palomar faculty that have committed to participating in the summer AEBG curriculum alignment project. Discussion centered around noncredit courses and their various applications ensued.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer announced that the Superintendent/President Search Committee has selected finalists and forums will be held next Wednesday, May 18th in the Howard Brubeck Theatre
  • Interim VP Sourbeer mentioned that a marketing company was interviewed and a decision should be forthcoming soon.  ·         Faculty hiring is progressing and all committees should finish their work within a week of graduation.
  • Margie Fritch, currently at SD Mesa CC, has accepted Palomar’s offer to become the new permanent CTEE Dean, starting on July 1st. The process of hiring a permanent AMBCS Dean will begin soon.
  • Michael Mufson announced there will be a concert hour/student honors recital as well as an awards ceremony tomorrow, May 12th.  In addition, the Palomar Symphony & Chorale will have a combined performance on Friday, May 13th & Saturday, May 14th. The Palomar Pacific Coast Concert Band will perform on Sunday, May 15th.

Chairs & Directors (5/6/16)

Interim Vice President for Instruction Dan Sourbeer called the meeting to order at 1:09 p.m.

  • Interim VP Sourbeer discussed enrollment management. Historically, summer enrollment is an indicator of fall enrollment. At this time, summer enrollment is down, but enrollment continues and the hope is these numbers will increase.
  • New announcements included the hiring of a new CTE Dean who will begin on July 1st, Margie Fritch. In addition, a marketing firm is being selected who will work with faculty and staff to redefine Palomar and make sure the community knows what we have to offer.
  • Strategic Planning Committee (SPC) had a presentation on the South Center and voted unanimously to move forward. The Board will be discussing the South Center at an upcoming Board workshop.
  • A lot of collaboration is occurring between Palomar and its K-12 districts. Discussions and activities including dual enrollment, CSU remediation, cohort groups for summer classes, and noncredit opportunities through the Adult Education Block Grant are underway.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer informed the group that the IPC approved the subcommittee recommended top 20 positions to hire for 2017-18. It is possible that hiring will not occur next year, as our numbers are down and significant hiring is taking place this year.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer indicated that IPC is working on approval of PRP funding allocations. The goal is to allocate lottery funds at the beginning of each fiscal year for regular operating expenses. The remainder of lottery funds and block grant funds will be allocated for one time or short term uses at the end of the fiscal year. Those funds will be available July 1st of the next fiscal year and must be used within that year.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer discussed the need for increased money for conference/travel. He is working with the Foundation to secure an allocation. This might be coordinated through Professional Development. He asked those present if getting a more significant allocation every four (4) years or so would be a better option than having a smaller amount available. The consensus was this would preferred. Rand Green mentioned that travel for professional development and travel for training (updating of certifications, etc.) should be viewed differently.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer discussed topics from a recent CIO conference which included regionalization of funding, including AEBG and some of the CTE initiatives. In addition 25 recommendations from the Taskforce on Workforce were discussed. Strategic planning in regard to these recommendations will take place over the summer.
  • Interim President Gonzales, Interim VP Sourbeer, and Acting VP Stockert visited Arizona State University last week to tour the campus and learn about transfer opportunities for Palomar students.
  • Work on the accreditation recommendations continues and will be finalized over the summer.
  • The Policies & Procedures committee will be addressing the free speech policies and procedures at 9:00 am in Room H-306 on May 13th. BP 3900 & AP 3900 are attached for your review.
  • Dean Kahn introduced the Instructional Showcase Advertising Team, including Chris Norcross, Melinda Finn, Kelly Helming and Abby Algarin. This team has been working on a tool for our website that has been developed to showcase programs and activities occurring at Palomar. Events can be share through various social media and flyers can be automatically generated using this tool as well.
  • Dean Sivert, Debra Avila, and Chris Norcross discussed a tool called the SkillShop Site Calendar that is being developed to be a one-stop destination for students to see what workshops are available to assist them in meeting their educational needs. The calendar is color coded and can be filtered by category and/or campus locations to see what SkillShops are being offered.
  • Chris Norcross demonstrated how to use the new Open Class Search Tool, which has been launched and allows filtering of open classes to find a course needed by the individual student, depending on their educational goal.
  • Dean Sivert mentioned that the look of e-services is changing. She asked that Directors and Department Chairs inform their faculty.
  • Dean Sivert also discussed the progress of the creation of a part-time faculty pool and the steps to be used when utilizing this resource, which she hopes to see up and running this summer. We will continue to streamline the process collectively.
  • Marty Furch and Wendy Nelson discussed work of the Learning Outcomes Council and GE-ILO assessments. They also discussed the job of the SLO facilitator and offered recommendations as to how this position should be structured/filled in the future.
  • Interim Dean Kailikole gave an update on the status of the HSI STEM Proposal. We will not know until June or July if the college will be receiving funding. Interim Dean Kailikole, Interim Dean Blanchard and Dean Kahn and working on another STEM grant. Information will be presented to the Faculty Senate on May 16th.
  • Interim Director Harris explained to faculty that they do not issue medical excuses to students and ask that faculty not send them to the Health Center for this reason.

The meeting adjourned at 2:53 p.m.