Palomar College Learning For Success

Comet Information Exchange (CIE)

Connecting Committees and Councils through Communication

Menu

Author: Suzanne Sebring

IPC (4/12/17)

The following discussion took place at the April 12, 2017 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Interim VP Sourbeer welcomed the group and asked for announcements. Michael Mufson informed the group that there will be a music performance “Pop Goes the Jazz Band” this Saturday, April 15th. He also discussed a program the Performing Arts Department will begin around the 2017-18 college theme of “Better Together.” The program will begin with a 2 question survey asking “What divides us?” and “What connects us?” which can be accessed at http://www2.palomar.edu/performinghearts/community-survey/. The answers to this survey will inform and inspire a collaborative performance and art project for the fall of 2017 and may be displayed in a collective sculpture. More information on this project can be found at the link above.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer asked for comments from constituencies and Michael Mufson voiced that a faculty member mentioned that they didn’t feel the Strategic Plan objectives related very well to the classroom. Interim VP Sourbeer asked him to get specific information to him and he will pass it on to the Strategic Planning Council.
  • MSC Sivert/Mufson to approve the minutes of the March 22, 2017 meeting with two abstentions.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer reviewed the PRP documents with the council and informed them they would be receiving a pdf portfolio of each type of PRP, beginning with the Comprehensive PRPs. He also presented a timeline showing that committee members would have from April 12 – May 10th to work independently in teams to review sets of the Comprehensive PRPs. The teams and discipline assignments will be forwarded to all IPC members following the meeting, along with the Comprehensive PRP portfolio.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer explained the process for faculty prioritization to the council. The Instructional Planning Council Hiring Subcommittee will meet today to review the process and timeline. They will then receive a pdf portfolio of all Faculty Rationale Requests and an Excel spreadsheet with summary data to use to rank the requests. They will then meet on April 26th where the Deans will discuss the requests from their divisions and answer any questions. The subcommittee will then finalize the priority list by May 3rd, which will be forwarded for review and approval to IPC on May 10th.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer explained the process for resource requests to the council. His office has compiled all of the requests and sorted them by division. The division Deans will work with their Chairs to prioritize Resource Requests. They will then meet with the VPI to prioritize all requests and leverage alternative funding sources in order to fund as many requests as possible in the most appropriate manner. The recommendations will be brought to the May 10th meeting for review and approval.
  • Standing Reports
    • Accreditation: Work continues on the substantive change reports for the North and South Centers which will be due by April 2018.
    • Enrollment: Enrollment is up about .6% and the college is projecting between 18,100-18,200 FTES this year.
    • SSE/BSI: No report.
    • LOC: No report.
    • SPC: Interim VP Sourbeer reported that the council had a presentation from the marketing firm the District has contracted with regarding their plan to use “Palomar Powered” as the new messaging tagline for the college. He indicated they were working on a new logo. Michael Mufson asked if the firm had thought of collaborating on the logo with Art faculty. Interim VP Sourbeer will forward this recommendation to SPC.
    • CTEE: Dean Fritch announced that the state Chancellor’s office will be holding a forum on April 20th from 1-5 in the Governing Board Room regarding Strong Workforce. Perkins allocations have been finalized and released by Susan Garland. Dean Fritch informed the group that they need three (3) CTE disciplines to assist with the Top Codes review project. Interim VP Sourbeer updated the group on the discussion he had regarding Adult Education Block Grant (AEBG) data collection and reporting efforts with the Faculty Senate. He and Suzanne Sebring fielded questions from the council.
  • Announcements/Other
    • None.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Instructional Planning Council Website:

http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/

 

IPC (3/22/17)

The following discussion took place at the March 22, 2017 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Interim VP Sourbeer welcomed the group and asked for announcements. Michael Mufson announced it was the last weekend to see the production “Ten Acrobats in an Amazing Leap of Faith” and encouraged all to attend. Interim VP Sourbeer informed the group that Palomar would be receiving a $3M Innovation Grant that Dean Kailikole applied for to help establish a true STEM pathway.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer asked for comments from constituencies and there were none.
  • MSC Fritch/Ordille to approve the minutes of the March 8, 2017 meeting by unanimous vote.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer discussed Enrollment and Enrollment management, giving an overview of the funding formula and reviewing guiding principles for scheduling.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer updated the council on the Institutional Effectiveness Partnership Initiative (IEPI) visit held on Friday, March 17th. The visiting team reviewed the college’s enrollment management, governance communication/function, and hiring structures/practices and will offer recommendations for improvement.
  • Glyn Bongolan discussed the progress of concurrent/dual enrollment. The college is working with several K-12 districts currently and is also investigating online options to assist remote locations, such as Julian.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer gave a brief update regarding the South and North Centers. The South Education Center had its groundbreaking on March 3rd and is scheduled to open in the summer of 2018. It is planned to have a soft opening in the summer of 2018 at the North Center using modular buildings for the first year while the permanent structures are being built.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer mentioned that Norma Miyamoto has been researching options for re-establishing our community not-for-credit programs.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer updated the council on the status of the search for a new Vice President, Human Resources and a new Vice President, Instruction. The recent search for the VPHR failed. The college will look to bring in a consultant to serve while the search for a permanent VP continues. The search for the Vice President for Instruction is well underway. The forum for the finalists is scheduled for the afternoon of April 5th.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer briefly discussed the Adult Education Block Grant and some of the new reporting requirements being mandated by the state. He is investigating the options and will attend the April 3 Faculty Senate meeting for a Q&A session around this topic.
  • Standing Reports
    • Accreditation: Work continues on the substantive change reports for the North and South Centers which will be due by April 2018.
    • Enrollment: Update reported above.
    • SSE/BSI: Dean Sivert reported that work is progressing through various work groups. The state is asking all colleges to integrate BSI, Student Equity and 3SP plans/funds.
    • LOC: Hope Farquharson reported they will be vetting the proposed GE ILOs through faculty and Faculty Senate.
    • SPC: Interim VP Sourbeer and Dean Sivert mentioned they had a presentation on branding at the last meeting. In addition, they are establishing policies/practices around grants.
    • CTEE: Dean Fritch announced that the state Chancellor’s office will be holding a forum on April 20th from 1-5 in the Governing Board Room regarding Strong Workforce. Next week the group will meet to finalize the Perkins allocations.
  • Announcements/Other
    • Pete Ordille informed the group that there will be a Campus Police Night on April 5th in the Student Union beginning at 5:00 pm.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Instructional Planning Council Website:

http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/

 

IPC (3/08/17)

The following discussion took place at the March 8, 2017 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Interim VP Sourbeer welcomed the group and asked for announcements. Michael Mufson announced upcoming fine arts events including “Tap in Time” with the percussion ensemble on March 12 and “Romantic Expressions” On April 8.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer asked for comments from constituencies and there were none.
  • MSC Bongolan/Mufson to approve the minutes of the February 8, 2017 meeting by unanimous vote with two abstentions.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer reviewed the PRP forms (comprehensive, annual, instructional support and other units, resource allocation) timeline, and process. The due date for these forms has been extended to April 5th. Faculty should work with their Deans to determine appropriate due dates so the Deans may meet their April 5th deadline to Instruction.
  • A document regarding Guiding Principles, Schedule Development Priorities, and Data Elements for Planning Decisions was distributed to the council. Members should look the document over and send any suggestions to Travis Ritt to share with the Enrollment Management Task Force by Wednesday, March 15th.
  • Standing Reports/Updates
    • Accreditation: Michelle Barton has transitioned into the role of Accreditation Liaison Officer and is working on substantive change reports for the North and South Centers which will be due by April 2018.
    • Enrollment: Interim VP Sourbeer reported that the Enrollment Task Force has begun to meet. Currently, Spring 2017 enrollment is up compared to Spring 2016 when the winter intersession is included.
    • SSE/BSI: Dean Sivert shared that the First Year Experience (FYE) will be an integral part of the Promise program. They have begun discussing integrating orientations. Since the Promise roll out they have received over 100 applications. FYE retention this year from fall to spring semester is 89%.
    • LOC: Hope Farquharson reported that LOC will vote on GE ILOs at their meeting on Thursday, March 9th. She also informed the group that LOC had requested SPPF funds for a virtual center of excellence. She and Susan Miller are working to be more supportive of SLO facilitators.
    • SPC: Interim VP Sourbeer reported that he has been receiving SPPF requests and will be forwarding them to IPC for comment.
    • CTEE: Dean Fritch announced that the Chancellor’s Office will be sending someone to do a forum at Palomar regarding Strong Workforce. They will be presenting in the Governing Board Room on April 20th from 1-5 pm. Palomar will be pulling together a team in April/May to outline how Workforce monies are applied. CTEE is also working on a top code correction project with the state. Perkins requests are being submitted and the point person for this funding. There is a CTEE reorganization underway and Palomar will have a Design & Manufacturing Technologies department in the fall. The Construction Inspection and Water/Wastewater credit programs have been moved out of Occupational and Noncredit Programs to Trades and Industry. In addition, an Associate Dean, Workforce & Extended Studies is being hired.
  • Announcements/Other
    • Interim VP Sourbeer indicated he will present an update on the North & South Centers at the next meeting. Soft openings are planned for both locations in Summer 2018.
    • Dean Kahn discussed the zero degree planning grant that Kelly Falcone and April Cunningham are leading. They are looking for faculty to participate in a cohort. There will be a planning meeting in April – look for the CALM emails.
    • Dean Hussain mentioned that he and Glyn Bongolan have been meeting to lead Palomar’s early college efforts.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Instructional Planning Council Website:

http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/

IPC (2/08/17)

The following discussion took place at the February 8, 2017 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Interim VP Sourbeer welcomed the group and asked for announcements. There were none.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer asked for comments from constituencies and there were none.
  • MSC Mufson/Ordille to approve the minutes of the November 9, 2016 meeting by unanimous vote with one abstention.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer asked the group for input on the new, dynamic Annual PRP Form. There were no suggested changes. Michael Mufson moved to approve the form, Pete Ordille seconded the motion and it was approved unanimously.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer reviewed the new, dynamic Resource Allocation Form and Kathy Kailikole motioned to move this item to action. The motion was seconded by Michael Mufson and approved unanimously. Glyn Bongolan motioned to approve the form, which was seconded by Pete Ordille and approved unanimously.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer reviewed the Faculty Rationale Form. This form is now in the new, dynamic format, but there were no significant changes to the content. Pete Ordille motioned to move the form to action, which was seconded by Marlene Forney and approved unanimously. The group asked that a minor edit be made to the form instructions and Pete Ordille motioned to approve the form with the edit. Michael Mufson seconded the motion and it was approved unanimously.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer indicated the forms would be vetted through Faculty Senate and all forms will be due on March 17th, but later realized the due date will be March 24th.
  • The comprehensive form, which was already approved by Faculty Senate, will go out on Friday to Department Chairs. The other forms will go out once approved by Faculty Senate.
  • Standing Reports/Updates
    • Accreditation: Interim VP Sourbeer announced that the college received formal notification that we will continue as an accredited body as a result of the follow-up report. Michelle Barton has transitioned into the role of Accreditation Liaison Officer and is working on substantive change reports for the North and South Centers. The College will then begin working on the midterm report, in which the College will address recommendations for institutional effectiveness. The Curriculum Committee has addressed one recommendation by approving placement of SLOS on the CORs and is currently discussing placing the minimum qualifications within the CORs.
    • Enrollment: Interim VP Sourbeer reported that spring enrollment is up 1-2% when considering winter intersession. It is projected we should reach between 18,200-18,300 FTES this year, but the College target is 19,567. We do have a healthy surplus, but Interim VP Sourbeer reinforced the need to continue to grow efficiently and eliminate the deficit as we do so. The Enrollment Task Force will also be meeting to come up with more suggestions to grow enrollment. Another strategy for growth is dual/concurrent enrollment for which Dean Hussain will be taking the lead on the Instruction side, and Glyn Bongolan will take the lead for Student Services.
    • SSEC: The first meeting of the semester will be this Friday, February 10th.
    • LOC: Hope Farquharson and Susan Miller are coordinating SLOs this semester as Wendy Nelson is on sabbatical. The first LOC meeting of the semester will be this Thursday, February 9th. Michael Mufson mentioned that the Education, Knowledge & Culture subgroup, which came out of the Cultural Competency GE Learning Outcome this past summer, is hosting four workshops this semester on Cultural Intelligence. Three of these will be led by Freddy Avalos, the diversity coordinator from CSSM. The first workshop, on how we support undocumented students, will be held this Friday from 11-1 in MD-105. Information on these events can be found on the PD website: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/pd/pd-workshops/.
    • SPC: Interim VP Sourbeer had no report on SPC but did discuss Policy & Procedure actions that will be headed to SPC.
    • CTEE: Suzanne Sebring reported that the work with the Adult Education Block Grant (AEBG) continues to progress through our regional consortium, the Education to Career Network (ETCN). The consortium is applying for WIOA funding, which will increase financial support for Basic Skills and ESL programs. There is a requirement that comes with this additional funding which involves using the CASAS pre/post assessments to measure progress. However, the state has made the decision to align reporting requirements with federal Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) data elements for several initiatives including AEBG and Strong Workforce. This is a positive effort to make reporting and analysis easier in the long run, but it does involve work on the front end. She further reported that Barbara Blanchard is applying for a Pre-Apprenticeship Grant for the college. The goal of this grant is to provide more qualified applicants to the apprenticeship program pools so more will successfully complete the program; to recruit underrepresented populations into Apprenticeship; and to increase the graduation rate from our program to meet current industry needs of the region.  The project will be to develop noncredit pre-apprenticeship programs in conjunction with our three apprentice training sites to prepare students for our 7 (8th program – Intelligent Transportation Systems – is currently going through the curriculum process) apprenticeship programs. If successful, the grant will help to kick-start this project, but the plan is to proceed regardless of the grant outcome.
    • BSI: No report
  •  Announcements/Other
    • None.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Instructional Planning Council Website:

http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/

Chairs & Directors (12/2/16)

The following discussion took place at the December 2, 2016 Chairs & Directors Meeting:

  • Jenny Fererro encouraged faculty to look more critically at CORs in the initial steps of the approval process in order to increase the efficiency of the process and suggested that faculty originators have an additional set of eyes review CORs for errors/edits prior to being pushed through to the next step. She also provided a handout that explains how faculty can determine which courses are in need of review.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer stated that the College will be adding SLOs to CORs, reminding faculty to make sure there is a relationship between content, objectives, and SLOs.
  • Ryan Williams gave a presentation which included:
    • services and programs available to Camp Pendleton students,
    • layout of classrooms on base,
    • equipment and technology available to faculty and students,
    • reserve textbook availability at the base library,
    • bookstore delivery services, and
    • challenges to, and requirements for, getting on base as a student or faculty members.
  • Ryan also encouraged faculty to participate in the Military Ally workshop, which is offered every Fall.
  • April Cunningham and Kelly Falcone discussed their work on the Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) Grant in support of faculty who want to find an alternative to high cost textbooks. The grant is due on December 12th and a proposal is going to Senate on Monday, December 5th. Goals of the grant would be to:
    • raise awareness of ZTC options,
    • identify course sections with zero textbook costs, and
    • create potential programs that would not require textbooks for program completion.
  • Kelly Falcone announced the Palomar Leadership Exploration and Development (LEaD) Academy and stated that 23 applications have already been received and there is a balanced representation from all groups.
  • Dean Kahn reminded the group that a Distance Education Taskforce was created at the beginning of the semester to talk about challenges and barriers to the expansion of distance education. He then presented possible solutions identified by the task force.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer reported that Suzanne Sebring has nearly completed the new PRP form and that a timeline will now be created. This spring 1/3 of the departments will receive the comprehensive form and the other 2/3 will receive the follow-up form. Trainings on how to properly fill out the form will be offered during the winter break for faculty who are available.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer stated that work on the Fall schedule is ongoing. He reported that there will an increase focus on efficiency in order to meet the WSCH/FTEF goal.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer will email a form to the group, outlining the guidelines for non-credit courses.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer reported that Dr. Blake would like to create a food pantry for students and took a poll to determine if faculty would be in favor of converting the staff lounge in the student union into a food pantry. The group was supportive of the idea and encouraged Interim VP Sourbeer to poll staff as well and to provide an alternative option for part-time faculty who use that room.
  • Shayla Sivert encouraged all to contribute to the food and toy drive at the Dean’s happy hour at Cocina Del Charro on December 8th.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer reminded everyone that there is no longer a final exam schedule.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer asked that faculty be mindful of materials fees, as they tend to be growing and reminded faculty to invite students to continue their education into the Spring semester.
  • Jay Schultz announced that glass and ceramic sales are currently underway.
  • Patrick O’Brien announced that the counseling department will be fully staffed in January.
  • Tammy Weintraub announced that the library will be staffed during the intersession.

Chairs & Directors (11/04/16)

The following discussion took place at the November 4, 2016 Chairs & Directors Meeting:

  • Interim VP Sourbeer called for announcements. VP Gonzales reported that the recruitment for the VP of Human Resources failed and the search will begin again. During the interim, VP Perez will supervise Human Resources and VP Gonzales, along with Shawna Hearn, will oversee Title IX issues.
  • Foundation Development Officer, Kim Hartwell, discussed the work the Foundation does for students including the offering of scholarships, textbook assistance, library reserve books, and miscellaneous program needs. In 2016 the Foundation awarded over $580K directly to students. Fundraisers include the annual gala, golf tournament, donor solicitations, and Giving Tuesday. Last year was the first time Palomar had participated in the Global Day of Giving event and took in $36K in one day, 50% of which was from faculty/staff. This money funded textbooks and emergency grants for students. This year’s Giving Tuesday will take place on November 29th. The Foundation is asking for faculty/staff support in three ways…champion, invite and invest. First, please act as a champion by supporting the foundation, come to events, support Giving Tuesday, call with questions. Next, please invite as many people as possible to give on Giving Tuesday, November 29th. Finally, invest your time by showing up at the party on the day of the event and support Palomar, whether or not you can donate financially.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer informed the group that any time two or more faculty members share instruction for one class, they must also share the load for that class. Loads cannot be duplicated.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer reported that the Accreditation Visit on October 24th went very well and that Palomar CCD does meet the standards. He thanked all the members of the writing team and everyone that took part in making the visit successful. A special shout out to Aaron Holmes and the IT department for making sure everything was set up for the team over the weekend prior to their visit.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer indicated the need for more volunteers to go through the Y1 process of the Comprehensive Evaluation in 2016-17. Additional volunteers included Patti Dixon and Beth Pearson. If anyone else would like to volunteer, please contact Suzanne Sebring.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer reinforced the need for the college to focus on enrollment during this time of stability. He explained that Palomar teams are working on dual/concurrent enrollment with the high schools in our service area and invited anyone with ideas or strategies to communicate them to their Dean.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer reported that there has been some confusion regarding rules/regulations for noncredit classes. He will be working with staff to present clearer guidelines.
  • As the college is looking at articulation, it has become evident that many course outlines are out of date (more than 5 years old). Please make sure your course outlines are current.  Finally, various announcements were made including:
    1. The South Center potential lawsuit has been resolved and construction is continuing.
    2. The college is looking at plans for a transitional center (modular) at the North Center location.
    3. Deanna Shoop is the new Outreach Coordinator for Palomar. She will be invited to the next Chairs & Directors meeting to introduce herself.
    4. There will be a Negotiations Advisory Council meeting on Monday, November 14th, from 1-2 pm in MD-321 to discuss the impact of newly passed bill AB1690. They would love to have two representatives from each department present. Preferably one full time and one part time.
    5. Patrick O’Brien reported that counseling department and high school liaisons are now listed on the bottom left of the counseling website.

IPC (11/09/16)

The following discussion took place at the November 9, 2016 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Interim VP Sourbeer welcomed the group and asked for announcements.
    1. Michael Mufson invited all to “Facing our Truth: Six Ten-Minute plays on Trayvon, Race, and Privilege,” as well as to Palomar Jazz Bands, the Chorale and Chamber Singers Concert, and the Winter Dance Festival, all performing in early December.
    2. Interim VP Sourbeer announced that Trustee Halcón and Trustee Hench, along with Nina Deerfield were re-elected/elected to the Palomar College Governing Board, and that both Prop 55 and the 78 bond measure were passed.
  • MSC Fritch/Nelson to approve the minutes of the October 26th, 2016 meeting by unanimous vote.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer suggested the addition of a meeting for the date of November 30th due to the non-instructional day on November 23rd. There were no objections. An announcement will be sent to the Council to tentatively calendar the meeting.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer announced that the Faculty Senate approved the comprehensive PRP form. Michelle Barton is developing data for the form and Interim VP Sourbeer and Wendy Nelson will then begin working on directions and instructional videos for the comprehensive form to train department chairs interested in using the form this year.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer reviewed the program review timeline. All materials should be available by December 5th, training will be provided over the break, and there will be six weeks available to work on the PRP. Documents are due to IPC by March 19th for review by the Council in March and April, with resources allocations completed in May 2017. The Council was instructed to review the timeline, as well as the Annual Update form, and address any comments via email to Interim VP Sourbeer and Suzanne Sebring.
  • Wendy Nelson stated that program set standards have been added to the less comprehensive Annual Report form this year to meet accreditation planning requirements. These standards will only be reflected on the Comprehensive forms in the future.
  • Standing Reports/Updates
    • Accreditation: Barbara Beno is retiring as President of ACCJC in June 2017. Dr. Raul Rodriguez has been appointed chair of ACCJC and its Board of Directors. The sentiment in the state may be to still move away from ACCJC. Michelle Barton will transition into the role of Accreditation Liaison Officer in spring 2017 to start the planning process for next year (Fall 2018). The College will begin working on the midterm report, which requires the College to address recommendations for institutional effectiveness. The Curriculum Committee has addressed one recommendation by approving placement of SLOS on the CORs and is currently discussing pacing the minimum qualifications within the CORs.
    • Enrollment: Interim VP Sourbeer reported that fall enrollment is flat from last year. Intersession classes, as well as concurrent enrollment classes, continue to be added. The Enrollment Task Force will be working to grow spring enrollment.
    • SSEC: No report.
    • LOC: Wendy Nelson reported that LOC is strategically planning how to achieve the identified goals for this year.
    • SPC: Interim VP Sourbeer reported that SPC is currently reviewing goals/objectives and actions related to those objectives.
    • CTEE: Travis Ritt reported that Palomar College is a pilot school for the Top Code Project. The project will be taken to the next Faculty Senate meeting for approval.
    • BSI: The College will need to develop strategies to coordinate BSI, Student Equity, and Student Success funds.
  • Announcements/Other
    • Interim VP Sourbeer informed the Council that the Curriculum Committee is reviewing the appropriateness of requests to schedule combined courses that typically are sequential or require one of the paired courses as a prerequisite for the other course. This topic will also be included on the next IPC agenda.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Instructional Planning Council Website:

http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/

IPC (10/26/16)

The following discussion took place at the October 26, 2016 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Interim VP Sourbeer welcomed the group and asked for announcements.
    1. Michael Mufson invited all to the Studio Theatre on Friday night for a World Dance Event.
    2. Interim VP Sourbeer reminded those present about Political Economy Days.
    3. Wendy Nelson will be leading a workshop on Friday from 11-12 in H-107 regarding the difference between objectives and outcomes.
    4. An Active Learning Leaders Conference will be held at Palomar this Saturday.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer called for comments from constituencies. There were none.
  • MSC Mufson/Ordille to approve the minutes of the October 12th, 2016 meeting with three abstentions.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer distributed the revised SWOT analysis used to determine IPC goals for 2016-17. The council discussed the document and amended the goals. Wendy Nelson moved to approve the goals, which was seconded by Pete Ordille and approved unanimously.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer informed the group that the new PRP comprehensive forms were discussed at Faculty Senate and will go for second reading/approval at the next meeting. April Cunningham asked if there would be an appeal process if the discipline did not agree with the council’s feedback/recommendation and that has not yet been determined. The PRP workgroup will be continuing their work to finalize Y2 and Y3 forms and a timeline to be presented in draft form at the November 9th meeting. Interim VP Sourbeer asked for additional disciplines to volunteer to do the first rotation of the comprehensive program review, particularly in the CTE and MNHS area which were not yet represented. Pete Ordille volunteered to represent CTE in the first rotation.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer reviewed information about the new student payment plan which will be rolled out on October 31st for spring enrollment.
  • Standing Reports/Updates
    • Accreditation: The Accreditation visit took place on Monday, October 24th and went very well. President Blake will be sharing information with the campus community after receiving the follow-up report.
    • Enrollment: Interim VP Sourbeer reported the fall enrollment is up slightly. Spring enrollment will begin on October 31st.
    • SSEC: Dean Sivert mentioned that funding requests were considered and Olga Diaz may be working with some awardees to ensure activities align with guidelines.
    • LOC: Wendy Nelson indicated the LOC continues their work on establishing goals.
    • SPC: They are re-forming the Enrollment Strategies Task Force. In addition, SPC heard a report from Laura Gropen on the activities of the marketing firm that has completed a poll and will soon be conducting focus groups to help inform messaging for the college.
    • CTEE: Dean Fritch mentioned that her area continues work on the Strong Workforce Plan.
    • BSI: Dean Sivert mentioned that Lori Waite is looking to rethink learning communities. Kelly Falcone reported that the Basic Skills Committee is formally stating their support for redesigning classrooms using active learning strategies.
  • Announcements/Other
    • Kelly Falcone indicated that the governance structure request to combine the Professional Development Advisory Board and the Faculty & Staff Development Committee has been presented to Faculty Senate and will go for 2nd reading at their next meeting. She asked that members and their constituency groups consider how the campus might include all faculty/staff in plenary activities. Southwestern has been doing this for the last couple of years. Dean Fritch proposed the idea of offering one general session that is available to all and then AM/PM options for workshops so office coverage could be achieved while giving everyone the opportunity to participate. Kelly Falcone said we might stream the general session so groups could be divided into different locations but take part in the general session together. Dean Fritch suggested that the new Professional Development Committee look at renaming plenary using more inclusive terminology.
    • Mark Bealo mentioned that he attended a Drone Educator’s Conference last weekend and suggested hosting their next event. He will meet with Dean Fritch to discuss this in more detail. Mark will be meeting with high schools to discuss the possibility of dual/concurrent enrollment in this subject.
    • Kelly Falcone reported that the NCPDF has been discussing extended education at CSUSM in the form of an accelerated year-round program to enable transfer students to finish their degrees in 16 months. Discussion ensued regarding possible cooperation to offer an accelerated two year degree to lead into this pathway.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Instructional Planning Council Website:

http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/

Chairs & Directors (10/14/16)

The following discussion took place at the October 14, 2016 Chairs & Directors Meeting:

  • Interim VP Sourbeer indicated to the group that the Tenure Evaluation and Review Board (TERB) office is in need of administrative assistance and asked that if anyone had staff from their area that had time to assist to please contact Lesley Williams. Further, he reported that student evaluation forms are now linked to individual instructions and classes. He asked that chairs carefully review Lesley’s recent emails and directions related to student evaluations.
  • Director of Fiscal Services, Carmen Coniglio gave a presentation on the new payment plan options that are being rolled out for spring enrollment. Suzanne Sebring will forward a copy of the PowerPoint to the group.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer gave an overview of the accreditation recommendation responses and informed the group that the accreditation follow-up visit will take place on October 24th.
  • Dean Shayla Sivert reported that the new process and documents related to part-time faculty recruiting are ready to be rolled out. In addition she, along with Justin Smiley and Christine Winterle, is working on updated onboarding procedures to go along with this process.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer outlined the structure of the newly revised Program Review and Planning process, which has been approved for implementation by Instructional Planning Council (IPC) and is now being vetted through this committee along with Faculty Senate. The new format has one third of the programs going through an in-depth Y1 process at a time, followed by a shorter Y2 and Y3 follow up. He asked for volunteers to go through the Y1 process in 2016-17. Volunteers included Jenny Fererro, Lacey Craft, Jackie Martin, Jay Schultz, and Melinda Carrillo. If anyone else would like to volunteer, please contact Suzanne Sebring. Other programs will use the old Y2 form this year.
  • Dean Jack Kahn showed the group the new Academic Spotlight on the Palomar website and asked that individual subscribe and encourage business/community partners to also subscribe. He also reviewed the new “Comet Suggestion Network” feature on the homepage of the website. This is located in the bottom right corner of the home page and has been designed in response to a request from staff during the last Classified Speaks event. Questions/suggestions will be reviewed by the President’s Office and forwarded to the appropriate area for response.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer indicated that the college is looking into Open Educational Resources (OERs) and Z-degrees (degrees requiring no textbooks). More information will be forthcoming.
  • Finally, various announcements were made including:
    1. Fast Track II is starting on Monday, October 17th.
    2. The Vice President, Human Resources recruitment has closed and the 1st level interviews will take place on October 28th.
    3. The Vice President, Instruction and the Dean, Math & Natural & Health Sciences should be posted soon.
    4. State-funded EOPS is closed for fall applications. Spring applications will be accepted beginning on November 1st.
    5. Federally-funded Trio/SSS recruitment is ongoing.
    6. The state does not have the Common Assessment tool ready. The college will be using multiple measures once Compass is no longer available.
    7. The Deans will be sponsoring a Happy Hour Toy/Food Drive on December 8th. More information to come.

IPC (10/12/16)

The following discussion took place at the October 12, 2016 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Interim VP Sourbeer welcomed the group and asked for announcements. There were none.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer called for comments from constituencies. Shayla Sivert met with her division chairs and discussed the new PRP process. They wondered how soon the new process will be rolled out. Interim VP Sourbeer responded that it will be going to the next Faculty Senate meeting for discussion. More information to come. Interim VP Sourbeer thanked Dean Sivert for communicating with the group she represented on the council and reminded all members to be sure they were also reaching out and reporting back.
  • MSC Ordille/Bongolan to approve the minutes of the September 28th, 2016 meeting with four abstentions.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer distributed the SWOT analysis and results used to determine IPC goals for last year. The council broke into small groups to discuss progress and modify the goals for this fiscal year. He asked that the council forward any additional recommendations to Suzanne Sebring to incorporate into the document that will be finalized at the next meeting.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer confirmed with the council the change to the Real Estate/Legal Studies position had been approved by unanimous vote via email. He informed the council that Human Resources recommended this position be posted as Real Estate/Law.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer asked that members consider volunteering for a workgroup to create directions that will go with the new PRP forms when they are rolled out. There were no volunteers at this time.
  • Standing Reports/Updates
    • Accreditation: The Accreditation visit will take place on Monday, October 24th. Information regarding the recommendations was sent out to the campus community via email by Interim VP Sourbeer.
    • Enrollment: Interim VP Sourbeer will be setting up the first meeting of the Enrollment Strategies Task Force. The Senate has formed an Enrollment Task Force and they are also working on strategies. All Deans have been assigned to a K-12 district with which to explore dual and concurrent enrollment opportunities. The work on the South Center is progressing and the college is also looking at establishing an interim presence in the North.
    • SSEC: Glyn Bongolan reported that SSEC is working on pathways and that funding requests will be reviewed at this Friday’s meeting. Dean Kahn reported that he is on a work group that is looking to develop a value statement of goals for veterans and other disproportionately impacted students.
    • LOC: Interim VP Sourbeer indicated that LOC recommended putting SLOs on Course Outline of Records (CORs).
    • SPC: They are re-forming the Enrollment Strategies Task Force and will be meeting to discuss possibilities.
    • CTEE: Barbara Blanchard informed the group that there are many issues arising in regard to noncredit courses, including MIS issues and misunderstanding about appropriate uses. There will be much more research and discussion on this topic.
    • BSI: Dean Sivert indicated that Gabe Sanchez and Lori Waite are taking the lead this year. Learning Communities are being revamped and there have been discussions about the possible blending of committees, as the initiatives are being blended by the state (regional collaborations).
  • Announcements/Other
    • Michael Mufson reported that it was the final weekend of Our Town and encouraged everyone to attend. He also invited everyone to the Monday night reading in the Studio Theatre at 6:30 p.m. of Facing Our Truth: Six 10-minute Plays on Trayvon, Race and Privilege. For more information check out the Palomar Coffee Talks Dialogue Blog http://www2.palomar.edu/performinghearts/.
    • Susan Snow distributed a “Progress Report for fall 2016 Canceled Class Research” that she had shared with the Governing Board at the October 11th meeting.
    • Pete Ordille asked for some direction for Contract Education. Interim VP Sourbeer will discuss it with the President and VPs to come up with a stop gap plan.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Instructional Planning Council Website:

http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/