Palomar College Learning For Success

Comet Information Exchange (CIE)

Connecting Committees and Councils through Communication

Menu

Author: LaVigueur, Michelle

SSEC (10/14/16)

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION ITEMS

  • Review Fall 2016 Funding Requests – The following Student Equity Funding Requests were reviewed and ranked by each SSEC member.  There was consensus among the Council to fund all of the requests presented.
    • ESL Recognition Events – Lee Chen
      • Description: Recognition events of ESL student progress.
      • Target Population: ESL & Basic Skills Completion for Hispanics, Males, Students w/Disabilities.
      • Goals: Increase engagement among ESL & Basic Skills students. Increase participation in student support activities (tutoring, campus services).
    • Spanish Translation of Campus Documents – Dean Jack Kahn
      • Description: Translate campus services materials into Spanish.
      • Target Population: ESL & Basic Skills student populations.
      • Goals: Increase retention and success of Spanish-dominant ESL students in various programs. Increase student and family accessibility to student support service information.
    • Service Learning – Dr. Laurel Anderson
      • Description: Provide active, service-focused community based learning for students.
      • Target Population: Veterans, Foster Youth, African American, Latino, Ages 25-29, Students w/Disabilities
      • Goals: Provide extensive outreach and support for DI students participating in SL.  Increase student retention and engagement.
    • Library, Dashboard Lessons – Marlene Forney/April Cunningham
      • Description: Update and maintain Dashboard Lesson content and provide 24-hour access to information literacy lessons.
      • Target Population: DI students pursuing degrees/certificates or transfer.
      • Goals: Increase use of self-paced online dashboard lessons focused on information literacy among DI students. Establish interface with PeopleSoft and track impact of usage.
    • Library, Student Performances – Marlene Forney
      • Description: In-reach initiative featuring library/theater/student performances about facing adversity w/Black History Month theme.
      • Target Population: All students visiting library with focus on sharing information library services to DI students.
      • Goals: Highlight available library support services for DI students.
    • Athletics, Tutoring – Steve White
      • Description: Provide need-specific tutoring support to athletes.
      • Target Population: DI student athletes including African American and Students w/Disabilities.
      • Goals: Increase degree completion of African American and Students w/Disabilities who are also athletes.
    • Veteran’s Outreach Specialist – Pete Ordille
      • Description: Hire outreach specialist to work with military transition team to reach active duty personnel leaving service and entering public safety education                                 programs at Palomar.
      • Target Population: Veterans
      • Goals: Increase access and number of veterans seeking public safety training/certification at Palomar.
    • STAR Tutoring – Ruth Barnaba
      • Description: Provide direct outreach to DI students about tutoring support services. Provide tutoring to DI students.
      • Target Population: All DI populations
      • Goals: Increase course completion, degree/certification completion, transfer for DI students through academic support/tutoring services.
  • Workgroups Report Out
    • Access and Outreach: Dean Jack Kahn reported that they are still in the beginning stages.  They are working on creating a Mission and Value statement for our Veteran students and providing information out to our active duty military students.
    • Retention: Martha Martinez reported they have implemented a student survey to find out why students have stopped attending college.
    • Student Pathways: Travis Ritt reported that they have reached out to departments to get feedback from them before moving forward.

Meeting was adjourned at 10:59 a.m.

SSPC (10/12/16)

The following discussion took place at the October 12, 2016 meeting of the Student Services Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION

  • VP Gonzales reported that Student Services will be completing a one year PRP report this year (2016-17) which is due to the VP office by November 3, 2016. We will begin a three year PRP cycle starting next year (2017-18) using an updated form.  The workgroup that is updating the PRP form is being extended to include members from key Student Services areas.
  • VP Gonzales gave an overview of three components to the Behavioral Health Intervention Structure:  Crisis Intervention, Prevention and Training.
    • Crisis Intervention – Counseling, Student Affairs, Behavioral Health Counseling and /or Campus Police were identified as the core areas and steering committee. The team will review threat assessment, crisis management and case load management of specific students.
    • Prevention – The Behavioral Health and Campus Wellness (BHCW) committee is our shared governance group that focuses on broader prevention strategies to aid in campus behavioral health and wellness. The BHCW committee would be the ideal group to discuss and develop information campaigns, on-going training and preventative strategies.
    • Training – Behavioral Health Intervention Training will be provided periodically to the campus community to ensure that we are equipped with tools to assist students in need. The next Behavioral Health Intervention training will be held October 18 – 21, 2016 for faculty and staff.  Details can be found on the Student Health Centers website: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/healthservices/events/.

OTHER BUSINESS

  • Student Health Centers announced two upcoming activities:
    • National Behavioral Intervention Team Association (NaBita) Training October 18-21, 2016 for faculty and staff.
    • Flu shots are available beginning October 17, 2016. The shots are free to students and are $20.00 for staff and faculty.
  • VP Gonzales reported that the State has delayed plans to implement the Common Assessment in order to do additional validation.  It is unclear as to when the State expects to be ready to roll out the implementation of the Common Assessment.  We currently use Compass for English, Math and Reading assessment (and Accuplacer for math challenges); however, Compass has informed colleges that it will no longer be producing the assessment in November 2016.  As a result, we will be moving to a “multiple measures” model of course placements where by students would answer a series of questions at the time of application and then be placed into courses based on those responses. Our transition to the “multiple measures” model will start with the Spring 2017 testing period.
  • VP Gonzales reported that he, Carmelino Cruz and Olga Diaz attended the SSSP/SE Conference in Sacramento on September 26 – 28, 2016.  The integration of SE/SSSP/BSI at the state-wide level was discussed.  The Chancellor’s Office advised that we will not need to submit an annual plan this year for any of these three initiatives.  However, we will still submit a financial report regarding how the funds are being spent.  There was discussion on the Legislative Analyst Report (LAO) which indicated that California Community Colleges have been following the general intent of SSSP/SE, but the level of implementation varies from college to college.  The report also discussed the need for Student Education Plans (SEP) be integrated with Enrollment Management.
  • Student Services PRP’s are due November 3, 2016 and there will likely be $200,000 in SPPF funding available. More information on SPPF funding will be forthcoming as we receive it from SPC.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Student Services Planning Council website:  http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/sspc/

SSEC (9/23/16)

The Student Success & Equity Council met on September 23, 2016.  Vice President of Student Service Adrian Gonzales called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m.

 

ACTION ITEMS/SECOND READING

  • SSEC Governance Structure Membership Change

-Adding a Student Equity Counselor and Removing one Counseling Faculty – Patrick O’Brien

There are currently two faculty Counselors as appointed by the Faculty Senate on the SSEC membership.  The request is to reduce that down to one and add the Student Equity Counselor.

Motion:  MSC (O’Brien/Sourbeer):  A motion was made to add the Student Equity Counselor to SSEC and remove one Counseling Faculty member.

Result:  Motion Approved.

The proposed will now be taken to SPC for review and approval.

 

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION ITEMS

Upcoming Conference Opportunities:

The following conference opportunities were announced:

  • Academic Academy Institute 2016

October 7-8, 2016

Costa Mesa, CA

$465.00

Professional development opportunity, focused on counseling and instructional faculty. Letty Aguirre, P.J. DeMaris, Nimoli Madan and Fergal O’Doherty were selected to attend.

 

  • IEPI/Academic Senate Guided Pathways

January 26-27, 2017

Orange County, CA

$465.00

Colleges are being encouraged to bring a team of people.  A preliminary announcement has been made regarding the dates of this conference.  Davis Jenkins, senior researcher of the book Redesigning America’s Community College – A Clearer Path to Student Success will be the keynote speaker.  More information is forthcoming.  Student Equity funding will support those who attend.

 

  • Get Focused… Stay Focused!

October 10, 2016

Poway Adult School, 13626 Twin Peaks Road, Poway, CA 92064

Free

One-day workshop focused on ensuring that every student enters college with an informed major and a skills-based education plan.  Community College Deans, CTE Directors, Principals and other decision makers are invited to attend.

 

  • UMOJA Conference

November 4-5, 2016

LAX Hilton

$299.00

VP Gonzales announced that Letty Aguirre will be attending this annually along with one Student Services faculty member and one faculty member from Instruction.  The expectation for those that attend will be to come back and develop a proposal to implement an UMOJA program here on campus.  It is anticipated that Student Equity funds will be available to support implementation.

 

Council Reading Update: Redesigning America’s Community Colleges – A Clearer Path to Student Success – Chapters 3 & 4

The following points were noted for Chapters 3 & 4:

  • Instruction working in collaboration with Student Services – moving from “Pilot” to implementation
  • The Lecture Model may not always be the best option for students’ various learning needs
  • Transmitter vs. Learning Communities – need college-wide support/buy in for expansion
  • Teaching Academies “PACT” Palomar Academy for Collaborative Teaching – bringing this back
  • Student profiles/challenges – poverty/DI Groups/educating beyond the classroom
  • Campus/Student Services – Support Instruction/students
  • Institutional practices – space/place on campus is an issue
  • Cafeteria Professional Development – required vs. independent design
  • Active Learning Leaders conference October 29, 2016 http://all2016.brownpapertickets.com/

The meeting was adjourned at 11:03 a.m.

SSPC (9/14/16)

The following action and discussion took place at the September 14, 2016 meeting of the Student Services Planning Council:

ACTION ITEMS/SECOND READING

  • Add Manager of Outreach to SSPC Membership

Motion:  MSC (Kendyl/Moss):  A motion was made to add the Manager of Outreach to the SSPC membership.

Result:  Motion approved.

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION ITEMS

  • Review PRP forms

Vice President of Student Services Adrian Gonzales announced that we will be updating our PRP forms this year.  Student Services PRP’s will be due to the VP of Student Services on November 3, 2016.  Lisa Cecere, Adrian Gonzales, Michael Large and Buddy Springer will meet in early October 2016 to begin updating the PRP forms.  They will reach out to Instruction and bring suggested updates back to the SSPC.

  • Student Services District BP/AP

Vice President of Student Services Adrian Gonzales reported that each division is responsible for periodic review and update of their Board Policies and Administrative Procedures (BP/AP).  This year, Student Services (Chapter 5) will be updating their BP/AP’s.  Each of the Student Services BP/AP’s has been assigned to a lead person who may reach out to department leads for further input.  Current BP/AP’s can be found here:  https://www.palomar.edu/gb/Web%20Pages/PoliciesAndProcedures.html

The Community College League of California (CCLC) is our legislative arm for advocacy and policy development.  Their website http://www.ccleague.org includes templates with applicable policy and procedural language.  The updates are planned to be complete by December 2016.  They will be presented to the SSPC for input and then be presented to the Policies and Procedures committee, SPC and finally to the Governing Board.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

  • Behavioral Health & Campus Wellness Committee – Dean Brian Stockert reported that they have met and elected a new chair, Apolinar Mariscal. He also reported that we have implemented Maxient, the new student conduct software.

OTHER BUSINESS

  • One-Stop Student Services Center User Group Meetings

Vice President of Student Services Adrian Gonzales reported that planning for the new Student Services facilities has begun.  Each coordinating team will meet regularly and the architects will be holding meetings with user groups in the near future.  The coordinating team for the Kinesiology/Athletics remodel is Scott Cathcart, Joe Early, Lacey Craft and Dr. Jack Kahn and the One-Stop Center is Dr. Kendyl Magnuson, Carol Moore, Patrick O’Brien and Dean Brian Stockert.  He asked members to be available if they are asked to participate in these meetings over the next year.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Student Services Planning Council website:  http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/sspc/

SSEC (9/9/16)

ACTION ITEMS/FIRST READING:

  • SSEC Governance Structure Membership Change -Adding a Student Equity Counselor and removing one Counseling Faculty:
    • Patrick O’Brien reviewed the action to add a Student Equity Counselor and remove a Counseling Faculty member from the SSEC membership.  There are currently two Counseling Faculty   members on the SSEC.  Members were encouraged to take this information back to their constituent groups and bring feedback to the next meeting on September 23, 2016.

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION ITEMS

  • Council Reading Update: Redesigning America’s Community Colleges – A Clearer Path to Student Success
    • Michelle Barton led the discussion on the first two chapters of the book.  The following were noted:
  1. All members of the campus community need to be involved in guided pathways
  2. The current culture, structure, way of thinking may need to shift to focus more on student success
  3. A la carte (Cafeteria style) does not work well
  4. The model that worked decades ago may not work for today’s students
  5. Focus more on students’ career goals.
  6. Integrate technology to track student progress
  7. How do we integrate the above with Palomar College?
  8. Begin to restructure our college culture by addressing our internal obstacles
  9. Provide guidance to students from orientation to goal completion
  10. Student Services and Instruction working in collaboration
  11. Each department creating student pathways
  12. Work backwards – start at the students’ career goals and then determine academic goals to match
  • Funding Request Workshops
    • Olga Diaz reported that the funding workshops were held on September 7 and 8, 2016.  The funding application period is September 12 – 30, 2016.  The SSEC will review the fall 2016 applications on October 14, 2016 for spring 2017 implementation.
  • Pathways Discussion
    • Olga Diaz presented a spreadsheet with academic plan codes, CIP codes and descriptions.  She asked the members to assign a pathway to a few of them.  Of our 944 majors in PeopleSoft, a student pathway should be assigned to each one.  There was discussion on the following:
  1. Creating a broad pathway for each division, moving into each department (i.e.: Social and Behavioral Sciences > Psychology)
  2. How do the divisions and departments see themselves fitting in a pathway?
  3. Including each department in this conversation and then bring it back to the SSEC for discussion/implementation
  4. Creating a rubric for each department with a pathway model
  5. Matching each of our majors with a clear career pathway
  6. The 15 CTE Industry Sectors in California were discussed: https://cte-vistausd-ca.schoolloop.com/sectors
  7. Transitioning from this Council to a college wide conversation
  8. Tap into pathways that our feeder schools and universities may have already developed
  9. Attaching pathways to a student’s major
  • Workgroups Met:
  1. Access & Outreach – Jack Kahn is the Chair of this workgroup. They are working on access, outreach and defining pathways to assist our Veteran students in completing their academic goals.  They are also working on creating a Mission statement and holding instructional events on base at Camp Pendleton.
  2. Retention – Nancy Moreno is the Chair and Cindy Anfinson is the Co-Chair of this workgroup. They are focusing on reaching out to students who have stopped attending college, developing a survey to better understand how we can assist them.  They are researching ways other colleges have been successful retaining students up to the 30 unit mark in order to develop a coordinated process of retention for Palomar College.  They are also working on developing better communication with students across the board.  In the future, Week of Welcome (WOW) will be coordinated by another department.
  3. Student Pathways – Glyn Bongolan is the Chair and Dr. Travis Ritt is the Co-Chair of this workgroup. They are working on including the campus community in this discussion by scheduling small groups and/or all campus meetings.

SSPC (8/24/16)

Student Services Planning Council

The following action and discussion took place at the August 24, 2016 meeting of the Student Services Planning Council:

MINUTES:

  1. Approval of Minutes for May 11, 2016:

MSC – (Moss/Stockert): The minutes for May 11, 2016 were approved and accepted into the record with abstentions from Adrian Gonzales, Patrick O’Brien and Sherry Titus.

ACTION ITEMS/FIRST READING

  1. Add Manager of Outreach to SSPC Membership

This item was discussed and will be brought back for second reading on September 14, 2016.

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION ITEMS:

  1. SSPC Orientation

VP of Student Services Adrian Gonzales led the discussion about the role of SSPC within the shared governance structure.

  1. Presidential Priorities for 2016-17

VP of Student Services Adrian Gonzales reviewed several priorities the President is discussing for 2016-17:

  • Implementing legislation and how it fits into the shared governance structure (SSSP, Campus SaVE Act, NCSSSP, SEP, BSI, AEBG, Workforce)
  • Dual Enrollment
  • Distance and Online Education
  • CTE/Non-Credit offerings
  • Enrollment and Retention
  • The Palomar Promise
  • Marketing
  • Completing the classification
  1. PRP forms

VP of Student Services Adrian Gonzales advised the Council we will be updating our PRP forms.  Student Services PRP’s will be due on Thursday, November 3, 2016.

  1. Student Services District BP/AP

VP of Student Services Adrian Gonzales advised the Council that we will be working on updating the Student Services BP/AP’s this academic year.

  1. Appoint SSPC member to serve on SSEC

VP of Student Services Adrian Gonzales advised that there is a seat open on SSEC for a faculty member from the SSPC.  Patrick O’Brien volunteered to serve in this capacity

Motion:  MSC (Titus/Williams):  A motion was made to add Patrick O’Brien to the SSEC membership as Faculty from SSPC.

Result:  Motion approved.

  1. Linking State-wide Initiatives together

-BSI/SSSP/SE/AEBG/Workforce

VP of Student Services Adrian Gonzales discussed specific legislation for each initiative.

Additional information can be found at the Student Services Planning Council Website:

http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/sspc/

SSEC (08/26/16)

Student Success and Equity Council

The following action and discussion took place at the August 26, 2016 meeting of the Student Success and Equity Council:

 

MINUTES

  1. Approve minutes of May 13, 2016

MSC – (Sourbeer/Nelson):  The minutes for May 13, 2016 were approved and accepted into the record with abstentions from Adrian Gonzales, Lawrence Lawson, Ben Mudgett, Patrick            O’Brien and Annette Squires.

  1. Approve minutes of July 12, 2016

MSC – (Sourbeer/Nelson):  The minutes for July 12, 2016 were approved and accepted into the record with abstentions from Adrian Gonzales, Lawrence Lawson, Martha Martinez and Shayla Sivert.

 

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  1. SSEC 2016-17 Membership, Meeting Schedule and Workgroup Membership

VP of Student Services Adrian Gonzales reviewed the vacancies on the Council.  He mentioned that the first meeting of each month is for the Council to meet as a whole and the second meeting of each month is designated for Workgroups to meet.

 

  1. SSEC Orientation and Goals for FY 2016-17

Olga Diaz reviewed our current SSSP/SE plans and noted our responsibilities and the requirements around both plans.  The Student Success & Equity Council (SSEC) is the steering committee of the Student Success & Support Program (SSSP) Plan and the Student Equity Plan (SEP).  SSEC monitors progress toward meeting goals of each plan.  SSEC coordinates activities with other planning councils and reports to the Strategic Planning Council (SPC).

 

  1. Linkage to Other Initiatives: (BSI, SSSP, SE, AEBG, Workforce)

VP of Student Services Adrian Gonzales led the discussion regarding the various state supported initiatives currently in place and discussed the potential of combining some of them.

 

  1. SSEC Governance Structure Membership Change

-Adding a Student Equity Counselor – Patrick O’Brien

Patrick O’Brien suggested reducing our current membership by one Counselor and adding the SE Counselor to the membership.  This item will be brought back as a First Reading on September 9, 2016.

 

  1. SSSP/SE Budget Update – Olga Diaz

Olga Diaz reviewed the SSSP and SEP budget in detail.

 

  1. New Funding Request Form – Olga Diaz

Olga Diaz reviewed the new funding request form.

 

  1. SE Funding Request Workshop Dates

Olga Diaz advised there will be SE funding request workshops on Wednesday, September 7, 2016 from 12:00 – 1:00 p.m. and Thursday, September 8, 2016 from 9:00 – 10:00 a.m. in AA-140.

 

  1. Workgroup Report Out
    1. Access & Outreach – Kendyl Magnuson reported that this workgroup has been focused on outreach to Veterans. Implementing the software program, CRM was also discussed.  The following Council members were added to this workgroup:  Chris Hopp, Dr. Jack Kahn, Pete Ordille and Gabe Sanchez.
    2. Retention – Martha Martinez and Olga Diaz reported that the Week of Welcome (WOW) took place August 22-25, 2016. This event was extremely successful in engaging and involving our new and continuing students.  The following Council members were added to this workgroup:  Lawrence Lawson and Rosalinda Tovar.
    3. Student Pathways – Glyn Bongolan reported they have been defining student pathways, developing academies and working on collaborating with other constituent groups on campus. The following Council members were added to this workgroup:  Ben Mudgett, Patrick O’Brien, Monica Rodriguez and Gabe Sanchez.
    4. Technology – The following Council members were added to this crossover workgroup: Patrick O’Brien, Monica Rodriguez, Ben Mudgett and Gabe Sanchez.
    5. Research & Evaluation – Two new Researchers will be added to this workgroup.

 

  1. Council Reading Update: Redesigning America’s Community Colleges – A Clearer Path to Student Success – Tabled.

 

Additional information can be found at the Student Success and Equity Council Website: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ssec/