Palomar College Learning For Success

Comet Information Exchange (CIE)

Connecting Committees and Councils through Communication

Menu

IPC (10/11/17)

The following discussion and action took place at the October 11, 2017 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

Vice President for Instruction, Jack S. Kahn, Ph.D. called the meeting to order at 2:32 p.m.

  • Announcements:
    • Marketing Update – Laura Gropen, Director of Communications, Marketing, and Public Affairs reported that our new brand is called “Palomar Powered”. She reported that her department has been working with Creative Services to effectively develop templates for the campus to be able to support this brand.  Laura also reported that her department oversees and/or develops marketing for billboards (3), digital campaigns, bus ads (50-88), class schedules, catalogs, community events, 3 Minutes of News and Palomar News.  She can be contacted at 760-744-1150 x2152 with any questions.
    • Need faculty member from IPC to serve on SSEC – VP Kahn announced that we need a faculty member from IPC to serve on SSEC and Susan Snow volunteered.
    • VP Kahn introduced Justin Smiley as the Acting Dean of Social and Behavioral Sciences.
  • Comments from Constituencies – Barb Kelber reported that she, Glyn Bongolan, Dean Sivert and Gary Sosa attended the Dual Enrollment conference on 9/27/17. They will be putting together summaries of their workshop experience to share with the Council.
  • Approve minutes – September 27, 2017 MSC – (Farrell/Smiley): The minutes for September 27, 2017 were approved and accepted into the record.
  • First Reading – Add Apprenticeship Faculty and Associate Dean of Workforce & Extended Studies to IPC (IV.A.2) – VP Kahn suggested we move to Second Reading/Action Item and vote on this item.  There was a suggestion on the Apprenticeship faculty being appointed by the CTEE Division.
    • Motion to move item to a Second Reading/Action Item:  MSC: (Miyamoto/Bealo)
    • Motion was made to add Associate Dean of Workforce Development & Extended Studies and Apprenticeship faculty representative appointed by the CTEE Division; motion carried unanimously. 
  • Waitlists Workgroup – Kelly Falcone reported that our waitlist is currently run manually as a “batch” process at midnight and stops running 5 days before a class starts. Another option is a “trigger” process that would automatically enroll a student once a position in a class open up.  Kelly will research both the batch and trigger options, look into models other colleges use around waitlists and come back to next IPC meeting on 10/25/17 with more information.
  • PRP (I.B.5) (I.B.9)
    • Department – VP Kahn surveyed the Council regarding the need for department PRPs to be completed for another reason besides the purpose of resource allocation. He suggested the following:
      1. All departments can do a PRP.
      2. The departments that want to a PRP can do one
      3. Departments do not complete a PRP, but at Resource Allocation time, fill out a Resource Allocation form.

The Council agreed that the departments who would like to do a PRP can do one.Questions­ – Contact Kelly Falcone at 760-744-1150 x3643 for Google Drive or PRP training

  • Faculty Prioritization – This typically happens in the spring.
  • Resource Allocation – This typically happens in the spring.
  • Block Grant update – VP Kahn reported we will not be receiving Block Grant funds this year.
  • Quirky web issue (Sivert) – Dean Sivert reported there was an issue on the IRP website that was fixed using the refresh button.
  • Staffing requests­ – The new VPHR will be putting together a staffing plan.
  • Guided Pathways – VP Kahn reported that he and Michelle Barton, Glyn Bongolan, Adrian Gonzales, Rachel Miller and Benjamin Mudgett have been working on a draft for a Guided Pathways Self-Assessment that is major initiative by the state. The draft is our own view of where we are with Guided Pathways at Palomar College.  We are looking at how we are creating accessibility for middle and high school students by the use of meta-majors.
  • Strong Workforce & Perkins Membership – Update (IV.A.3) – Nichol Roe reported we have been discussing creating a committee for Strong Workforce by combining it with the current Perkins Planning and Advisory Committee to form a new committee that reports to IPC. She would like to recommend this new committee meet twice a semester, with two additional meetings for Strong Workforce and Perkins proposal discussions for a total of six meetings per year.  It was suggested to add the following:
    • Instructional Dean
    • Information Services Director (or designee)
    • Facilities Director (or designee)
    • IRP Director (or designee)
    • Enrollment Services Director (or designee)

VP Kahn asked that Nichol bring a proposal to the next IPC meeting stating how this committee and their meetings will integrate into the IPC process.  This item will be brought back as a First Reading/Action Item at the next IPC meeting on 10/25/17.

  • Standing Reports
    • Accreditation – VP Kahn reported that we are finishing our substantive change report for the South Education Center.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Instructional Planning Council website:    http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/

 

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.