Palomar College Learning For Success

Comet Information Exchange (CIE)

Connecting Committees and Councils through Communication

Menu

IPC (4/12/17)

The following discussion took place at the April 12, 2017 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:

INFORMATION/DISCUSSION:

  • Interim VP Sourbeer welcomed the group and asked for announcements. Michael Mufson informed the group that there will be a music performance “Pop Goes the Jazz Band” this Saturday, April 15th. He also discussed a program the Performing Arts Department will begin around the 2017-18 college theme of “Better Together.” The program will begin with a 2 question survey asking “What divides us?” and “What connects us?” which can be accessed at http://www2.palomar.edu/performinghearts/community-survey/. The answers to this survey will inform and inspire a collaborative performance and art project for the fall of 2017 and may be displayed in a collective sculpture. More information on this project can be found at the link above.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer asked for comments from constituencies and Michael Mufson voiced that a faculty member mentioned that they didn’t feel the Strategic Plan objectives related very well to the classroom. Interim VP Sourbeer asked him to get specific information to him and he will pass it on to the Strategic Planning Council.
  • MSC Sivert/Mufson to approve the minutes of the March 22, 2017 meeting with two abstentions.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer reviewed the PRP documents with the council and informed them they would be receiving a pdf portfolio of each type of PRP, beginning with the Comprehensive PRPs. He also presented a timeline showing that committee members would have from April 12 – May 10th to work independently in teams to review sets of the Comprehensive PRPs. The teams and discipline assignments will be forwarded to all IPC members following the meeting, along with the Comprehensive PRP portfolio.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer explained the process for faculty prioritization to the council. The Instructional Planning Council Hiring Subcommittee will meet today to review the process and timeline. They will then receive a pdf portfolio of all Faculty Rationale Requests and an Excel spreadsheet with summary data to use to rank the requests. They will then meet on April 26th where the Deans will discuss the requests from their divisions and answer any questions. The subcommittee will then finalize the priority list by May 3rd, which will be forwarded for review and approval to IPC on May 10th.
  • Interim VP Sourbeer explained the process for resource requests to the council. His office has compiled all of the requests and sorted them by division. The division Deans will work with their Chairs to prioritize Resource Requests. They will then meet with the VPI to prioritize all requests and leverage alternative funding sources in order to fund as many requests as possible in the most appropriate manner. The recommendations will be brought to the May 10th meeting for review and approval.
  • Standing Reports
    • Accreditation: Work continues on the substantive change reports for the North and South Centers which will be due by April 2018.
    • Enrollment: Enrollment is up about .6% and the college is projecting between 18,100-18,200 FTES this year.
    • SSE/BSI: No report.
    • LOC: No report.
    • SPC: Interim VP Sourbeer reported that the council had a presentation from the marketing firm the District has contracted with regarding their plan to use “Palomar Powered” as the new messaging tagline for the college. He indicated they were working on a new logo. Michael Mufson asked if the firm had thought of collaborating on the logo with Art faculty. Interim VP Sourbeer will forward this recommendation to SPC.
    • CTEE: Dean Fritch announced that the state Chancellor’s office will be holding a forum on April 20th from 1-5 in the Governing Board Room regarding Strong Workforce. Perkins allocations have been finalized and released by Susan Garland. Dean Fritch informed the group that they need three (3) CTE disciplines to assist with the Top Codes review project. Interim VP Sourbeer updated the group on the discussion he had regarding Adult Education Block Grant (AEBG) data collection and reporting efforts with the Faculty Senate. He and Suzanne Sebring fielded questions from the council.
  • Announcements/Other
    • None.

Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Instructional Planning Council Website:

http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/

 

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.