The following discussion took place at the March 22, 2017 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:
- Interim VP Sourbeer welcomed the group and asked for announcements. Michael Mufson announced it was the last weekend to see the production “Ten Acrobats in an Amazing Leap of Faith” and encouraged all to attend. Interim VP Sourbeer informed the group that Palomar would be receiving a $3M Innovation Grant that Dean Kailikole applied for to help establish a true STEM pathway.
- Interim VP Sourbeer asked for comments from constituencies and there were none.
- MSC Fritch/Ordille to approve the minutes of the March 8, 2017 meeting by unanimous vote.
- Interim VP Sourbeer discussed Enrollment and Enrollment management, giving an overview of the funding formula and reviewing guiding principles for scheduling.
- Interim VP Sourbeer updated the council on the Institutional Effectiveness Partnership Initiative (IEPI) visit held on Friday, March 17th. The visiting team reviewed the college’s enrollment management, governance communication/function, and hiring structures/practices and will offer recommendations for improvement.
- Glyn Bongolan discussed the progress of concurrent/dual enrollment. The college is working with several K-12 districts currently and is also investigating online options to assist remote locations, such as Julian.
- Interim VP Sourbeer gave a brief update regarding the South and North Centers. The South Education Center had its groundbreaking on March 3rd and is scheduled to open in the summer of 2018. It is planned to have a soft opening in the summer of 2018 at the North Center using modular buildings for the first year while the permanent structures are being built.
- Interim VP Sourbeer mentioned that Norma Miyamoto has been researching options for re-establishing our community not-for-credit programs.
- Interim VP Sourbeer updated the council on the status of the search for a new Vice President, Human Resources and a new Vice President, Instruction. The recent search for the VPHR failed. The college will look to bring in a consultant to serve while the search for a permanent VP continues. The search for the Vice President for Instruction is well underway. The forum for the finalists is scheduled for the afternoon of April 5th.
- Interim VP Sourbeer briefly discussed the Adult Education Block Grant and some of the new reporting requirements being mandated by the state. He is investigating the options and will attend the April 3 Faculty Senate meeting for a Q&A session around this topic.
- Standing Reports
- Accreditation: Work continues on the substantive change reports for the North and South Centers which will be due by April 2018.
- Enrollment: Update reported above.
- SSE/BSI: Dean Sivert reported that work is progressing through various work groups. The state is asking all colleges to integrate BSI, Student Equity and 3SP plans/funds.
- LOC: Hope Farquharson reported they will be vetting the proposed GE ILOs through faculty and Faculty Senate.
- SPC: Interim VP Sourbeer and Dean Sivert mentioned they had a presentation on branding at the last meeting. In addition, they are establishing policies/practices around grants.
- CTEE: Dean Fritch announced that the state Chancellor’s office will be holding a forum on April 20th from 1-5 in the Governing Board Room regarding Strong Workforce. Next week the group will meet to finalize the Perkins allocations.
- Pete Ordille informed the group that there will be a Campus Police Night on April 5th in the Student Union beginning at 5:00 pm.
Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Instructional Planning Council Website: