The following discussion took place at the September 28, 2016 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:
- Interim VP Sourbeer welcomed the group and asked for announcements. There were none.
- Interim VP Sourbeer called for comments from constituencies. Zeb Navarro informed the group that CAST has appointed another member to serve on the Enrollment Strategies Task Force.
- The minutes of the September 14th, 2016 meeting were approved with one abstention.
- Interim VP Sourbeer discussed that there have been some legislative changes around Professional Development that requires that all faculty, staff and administrators be eligible to receive professional development. Interim VP Popielski, Kelly Falcone, and Interim VP Sourbeer have been discussing the move to an all-college approach to Professional Development. In order to achieve this unified concept, a change to the governance structure is being proposed. Currently, there is a Professional Development Advisory Board and a Staff Development & Training Committee. The new structure would combine these committees into one unified committee – the Professional Development Committee. The question will be where this committee will report within the governance structure.
- Interim VP Sourbeer continued the discussion regarding Program Review and Planning (PRP). The workgroup spent the summer examining the PRP process and documents, and coming up with a structure for authentic program review. In this new structure, Program Review (Step 1) will be separated from Resource Allocation (Step 2). In addition, the PRP process would be over three years, with one third of the departments participating in the comprehensive review (Year 1) to allow time for sufficient feedback. Year 2 and Year 3 would be shorter update reports, yet all departments would remain continuously engaged in the PRP process.
- At the previous meeting, Interim VP Sourbeer asked council members to send any suggestions for changes to Suzanne Sebring, to be incorporated into a final draft of the forms to be brought back to the next meeting for approval. There were only two recommendations for changes. Therefore, the group talked through additional suggestions and changes to the form which were made and subsequently approved.
- Goals – This item was tabled until the next meeting.
- Standing Reports/Updates
- Accreditation: The Accreditation visit will take place on Monday, October 24th. Information regarding the recommendations will be forthcoming to the college community.
- Enrollment: The Senate has formed an Enrollment Task Force and they are meeting and coming up with ideas.
- SSEC: They have been talking about pathways and reading a book, “Redesigning America’s Community Colleges”.
- LOC: Wendy Nelson mentioned that the LOC committee has been discussing ways to strengthen our SLOs.
- SPC: They are re-forming the Enrollment Strategies Task Force and will be meeting to discuss possibilities.
- CTEE: No report
- BSI: No report
- Last year one recruitment for Real Estate/Legal Studies failed. Last year IPC had approved the position as a Real Estate position with a Legal Studies emphasis, but it really needs to be a combined Real Estate/Legal Studies position. They would like IPC to approve that it should be a dual position. Interim VP Sourbeer asked the group to consider and he will bring it forward for action at the next meeting.
Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Instructional Planning Council Website: