Student Success and Equity Council
The following action and discussion took place at the August 26, 2016 meeting of the Student Success and Equity Council:
- Approve minutes of May 13, 2016
MSC – (Sourbeer/Nelson): The minutes for May 13, 2016 were approved and accepted into the record with abstentions from Adrian Gonzales, Lawrence Lawson, Ben Mudgett, Patrick O’Brien and Annette Squires.
- Approve minutes of July 12, 2016
MSC – (Sourbeer/Nelson): The minutes for July 12, 2016 were approved and accepted into the record with abstentions from Adrian Gonzales, Lawrence Lawson, Martha Martinez and Shayla Sivert.
- SSEC 2016-17 Membership, Meeting Schedule and Workgroup Membership
VP of Student Services Adrian Gonzales reviewed the vacancies on the Council. He mentioned that the first meeting of each month is for the Council to meet as a whole and the second meeting of each month is designated for Workgroups to meet.
- SSEC Orientation and Goals for FY 2016-17
Olga Diaz reviewed our current SSSP/SE plans and noted our responsibilities and the requirements around both plans. The Student Success & Equity Council (SSEC) is the steering committee of the Student Success & Support Program (SSSP) Plan and the Student Equity Plan (SEP). SSEC monitors progress toward meeting goals of each plan. SSEC coordinates activities with other planning councils and reports to the Strategic Planning Council (SPC).
- Linkage to Other Initiatives: (BSI, SSSP, SE, AEBG, Workforce)
VP of Student Services Adrian Gonzales led the discussion regarding the various state supported initiatives currently in place and discussed the potential of combining some of them.
- SSEC Governance Structure Membership Change
-Adding a Student Equity Counselor – Patrick O’Brien
Patrick O’Brien suggested reducing our current membership by one Counselor and adding the SE Counselor to the membership. This item will be brought back as a First Reading on September 9, 2016.
- SSSP/SE Budget Update – Olga Diaz
Olga Diaz reviewed the SSSP and SEP budget in detail.
- New Funding Request Form – Olga Diaz
Olga Diaz reviewed the new funding request form.
- SE Funding Request Workshop Dates
Olga Diaz advised there will be SE funding request workshops on Wednesday, September 7, 2016 from 12:00 – 1:00 p.m. and Thursday, September 8, 2016 from 9:00 – 10:00 a.m. in AA-140.
- Workgroup Report Out
- Access & Outreach – Kendyl Magnuson reported that this workgroup has been focused on outreach to Veterans. Implementing the software program, CRM was also discussed. The following Council members were added to this workgroup: Chris Hopp, Dr. Jack Kahn, Pete Ordille and Gabe Sanchez.
- Retention – Martha Martinez and Olga Diaz reported that the Week of Welcome (WOW) took place August 22-25, 2016. This event was extremely successful in engaging and involving our new and continuing students. The following Council members were added to this workgroup: Lawrence Lawson and Rosalinda Tovar.
- Student Pathways – Glyn Bongolan reported they have been defining student pathways, developing academies and working on collaborating with other constituent groups on campus. The following Council members were added to this workgroup: Ben Mudgett, Patrick O’Brien, Monica Rodriguez and Gabe Sanchez.
- Technology – The following Council members were added to this crossover workgroup: Patrick O’Brien, Monica Rodriguez, Ben Mudgett and Gabe Sanchez.
- Research & Evaluation – Two new Researchers will be added to this workgroup.
- Council Reading Update: Redesigning America’s Community Colleges – A Clearer Path to Student Success – Tabled.
Additional information can be found at the Student Success and Equity Council Website: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ssec/